Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From Mayfair:

The price for the CL body is £2250, 18mm is £1020, For the launch period there will be a prime lens kit as well, which will be £3150.

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-APS-C/Leica-CL

Now for me to read reviews tonight as I have a Q still in its box before 100% deciding which one !

Please tell me it supports 24fps video.

That's within reach of a firmware upgrade if enough ask for it.  But I don't think Leica is going to see video as a selling point for the CL, beyond simple family records.  There is no L-Log, no HDMI output (and no 10 bit codec, of course), and the technical spec even contains a warning that the video may stop if the camera overheats.  But of course we should ask for 24 FPS and see if can be squeezed in, but after they get the information reversed on the top LCD.

scott

I wonder why they called the new camera a CL when it doesn't have an M mount? 

The previous CL did have an M mount - has a trick been missed by not providing a cheaper entry level into the M system or a back up camera for existing M users?

Having bought my first M last year I might have seriously been tempted into selling my X1 and X-Vario to buy a CL body if I could have hung the three M lenses I now have on it.

Anyone else feel the same?

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder why they called the new camera a CL when it doesn't have an M mount? 

The previous CL did have an M mount - has a trick been missed by not providing a cheaper entry level into the M system or a back up camera for existing M users?

Having bought my first M last year I might have seriously been tempted into selling my X1 and X-Vario to buy a CL body if I could have hung the three M lenses I now have on it.

Anyone else feel the same?

John

It's called a CL because it has a L mount - like the SL, TL. I suppose the C is just a reference back to a previously popular historical camera.

I suspect the M system is seen as a dead end now - not at the end of its line, but unlikely to see further major development. I guess Leica would rather channel new buyers into what is likely to be their future ecosystem - the L-mount system.

You can still hang your M lenses on the CL!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

Indeed. I foresee a new task for my Summicron 40 :)

Ditto.

As well as various Elmarits (notably 28mm-M), Summarons, 90mm Macro-Elmar-M, 50mm Summicron APO M (although it's somewhat longer, much heavier and significantly more costly than the rest, but nevertheless...), MS Optical Super Triplet Perar 35mm f3.5 and others from Mr Miyazaki san, Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f2, and many, many other beauties... Collapsed or without hood, these lenses are as small as can be, ranging from optically interesting to technically outstanding, and they should fit both the CL and a jacket pocket very well. At least based on how I see it right now...

• Like 1

"I am exited , I will be able to use my 21-35 Konica Dual as a 35-50 mm lens in a MF mode. The two focal lengths I use most in my street shooting. I have not got accustomed to using vario/ Zooms in the street and travel situations.

Btw, my SL was sold a week ago and now I plan to have only my S system , the X-U and the new CL. I and my daughter have two TL zooms and we can share them. Most probably I will keep my m9 as well.

Edited by ynp

Ditto.

As well as various Elmarits (notably 28mm-M), Summarons, 90mm Macro-Elmar-M, 50mm Summicron APO M (although it's somewhat longer, much heavier and significantly more costly than the rest, but nevertheless...), MS Optical Super Triplet Perar 35mm f3.5 and others from Mr Miyazaki san, Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f2, and many, many other beauties... Collapsed or without hood, these lenses are as small as can be, ranging from optically interesting to technically outstanding, and they should fit both the CL and a jacket pocket very well. At least based on how I see it right now...

Indeed I have been using the Summar 35 /3.5, Elmar 50 /2.8, MS-Optics 50 /1.1 + 35 /1.4 on my TL.  I am able to focus pretty well with the magnifications X 3 or X 6.

Just to share - do take care not to collapse the Elmarit into TL (don't know about CL), or you will see markings at the 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock positions of the black enclosures on that surround the sensor.

Ouch...fortunately the sensor is spared.

I am still happily enjoying these cute small lenses on TL.

Still considering CL.

• Like 1

My order is in. The CL will fill an important couple of holes my SL has. Firstly an excellent wide angle zoom (now I won't be in the market for the huge SL 16-35) and, to a lesser extent) a 1.5x teleconverter for the 90-280. I needed an L mount camera with an EVF so I could attach a flash or trigger with a wide lens and now I will have one. This camera rounds out my SL kit.

However other than those, to me, important uses, I'm still completely underwhelmed. I REALLY like the TL lenses (I've got most of them) and had hoped that this camera would become my defacto travelling companion but once again Leica has fallen short. It's really weird that i will be carrying a Pen F on my travels instead of the CL. The lenses are stellar and the sensor is as good as is available. I'm sure the usability will be great. Everything else is disappointing. No IS in either the body or lenses. The EVF is a step down from both the Q and SL. Still got Leica's stupid short exposure times and mandatory long exposure noise reduction. No USB C charging (which is just fab in the TL2 when travelling). It's less ugly than the prototype but not by much. Weird when Leica have the X-Vario, M and Q as design inspiration. You have to remove the accessory grip to change the batteries. And the battery is different to the other TL mount cameras??

I have a real and immediate need for an AF wide solution for my SL. This will be it. Only because I already have the lens and this will be cheaper for the occasional use I need it for. But as a camera that makes me want to pick it up and take photos. This won't be it. Too many limitations that just don't need to be there.

Gordon

• Like 1

My order was already in before the announcement and no regrets...  

For me this is the camera the TL2 always should have been: built-in EVF, buttons to move the focus point (would have preferred joystick though) and better autofocus.

The 18mm pancake lens is according to me a smart commercial move and a welcome change from Leica's recent obsession with heavy zoom lenses and/or reference lenses.

The modest EVF and the absence of image stabilization and GPS IMHO leaves the door wide open for a more feature rich body 1-2 years from now...

With regards to AF, if it is indeed so much better, I believe Leica owes an explanation to all TL2 customers...

Besides that, very much looking forward to receiving this camera...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

It appears that the CL is not weather sealed and lacks back button focusing. One reviewer noted that his nose kept repositioning focus due to the touch screen interface. I don't know if he was missing some more effective setting or feature.

If only the SL had some smaller, lighter native zoom options. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd gladly sacrifice AF and accept a more narrow focal length zoom range to accomplish that.

Jeff

Hopefully the user will have full control of exposure and focus when using manual lenses on the CL, without removing the eye from the EVF!

If so, this will differ from the current state of the TL2: Using manual lenses on TL2, the right wheel controls the shutter speed. Fine. The left wheel can, for instance, be set to focus enlargement. In this case you miss instant control of exposure, so you have to rely on the implemented auto-ISO, possibly adjusted by exposure compensation. This can be fine, but I don't like to blindly rely on the camera when it comes to exposure! If you put exposure correction on the left wheel, you can nail the exposure, but in this case you miss instant access to focus enlargement. Brrr...

A preferred option when TL2 is used with manual lenses would, in my view, be to set exposure compensation on the left wheel, shutter speed on the right wheel, and that the remaining option, the video button, could activate focus enlargement. Unfortunately, the video button is non-programmable with the current TL2 FW.

So let's hope that the CL allows the user to take full control of exposure and focus! Time will tell...

Apologise for the self-quotation...:

Can anyone with the CL and a manuel lens enlighten us/me on the above: Is it possile to fully control exposure and having access to focus magnification without removing the eye from the body?

Thanks....

Edited by helged