What next?

I am contemplating selling my chrome 35 Cron ASPH and my Tri-Elmar ASPH WIDE as they see so little (as in rare) use these days. The 35 used to be my most-used lens - until I bought the 28. And the Tri-Elmar is such a specialty lens so it only comes along for extreme use and I'm not very good using it (I Know: Practice!)

The day before I was ready to list them I looked at a pic from this last trip and thought it was wonderful. You know, in the way we all do when we return from a trip and see a photo we forgot about and think, "Damn, that's a really great shot! Did I take that?" Looking at the LR EXIF data i saw it was taken with the M10 and the Cron 35mm (one of ONLY 42 shots out of thousands from more than a month-long journey!) I had used the lens because I thought, I carried it all this way, I'd best use it at least a few times.

So, now I am 'on the fence' (again) about selling! Especially as it has seen so little use on my new-ish M10 and I think I ought to be using it.

Don't know whether it's OK to post a pic here but this is the shot I'm writing about (Moderator: if pics ought not be posted here, just remove. Thanks.)

Two Little Boys With a Toy Bear

M10

Summicron-M 35 ASPH

ISO 200

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by coupdefoudre
  • Like 5

Consider well before selling. I really regret selling in most cases - especially the MATE and the Summilux 75-, and only took the right decision in selling the Apo Summicron 90 ASPH.

The Summicron 35 asph I sold and bought again a year later :(.

I find that we tend to have periods of using a lens, neglecting it for a while and then using it again. If you attempt to synchronise your selling and buying pattern to the variation in your photographic preferences, it is going to cost you a lot of money...

• Like 4

Sometimes you just don't develop any love for a lens and it just sits there. What do you do then? I know I will get clobbered for say this but I find 35mm FLE in that category. I am a 28mm guy and when I have to shoot my wife then I reach out for 50 lux. FLE has to go. I hope I won't regret.

BTW, I do regret selling 28mm Elmarit ASPH though.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes you just don't develop any love for a lens and it just sits there. What do you do then? I know I will get clobbered for say this but I find 35mm FLE in that category. I am a 28mm guy and when I have to shoot my wife then I reach out for 50 lux. FLE has to go. I hope I won't regret.

BTW, I do regret selling 28mm Elmarit ASPH though.

But do get the Summicron 35 asph in its place - I find that the preferable lens with a better low light rendering, despite the speed difference.

• Like 1

But do get the Summmicron 35 asph in its place - I find that the preferable lens with a better low light rendering, despite the speed difference.

I am sure it is. However I like 40 summicron-c too (not for rendering but as a general lens with stopped down usage).  This creates overlap. For low light and rendering I am keeping 50lux.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

I had a bunch of ASPHs and the only regret I have of selling them is I didn't wait a year or two or I could have nearly trebled my money.  With one exception, the MATE (2nd version, the first was a kludge lacking any DOF scale).  I wish I still had that one.

I also see almost no difference between the 240 and M10 in terms of viewfinder.  I looked back and forth between them and the 28mm frames look just as close to the periphery, and I could barely make out the slight difference in magnification.  Hardly what I would call compelling.  Then again some people claim the M240 is an improvement over the M9 rangefinder but I could never see that either. 

What I think would have been a real improvement is if they kept the .68 magnification and used the thinning of the body to allow a built-in infinitely-adjustable diopter (with some means of securing it once set). 

I currently have abt 20 M-Mounts lens dating from pre WWII to current, 21 to 135 concentrated in 35, 40 & especially 50's.  The Rokkor 40 is a great little sleeper.

Sold were ones I had duplicates of which made profits or were never going to be used, like the 1st ver Tri-Elmar 1:4/28-35-50 - which was so poorly assembled I thought it was going to fall apart.  Sold it to a reputable dealer in London at a very minor loss within a month of buying new in Barcelona.  135 2.8 with eyes is next to the auction block.  The Elmarit -M gets the job done w/EVF

I know many of you are enamored with 50 Lux's from all eras.  After not getting along with a new one for a month, sold it for exactly what I paid.  For me, the barely usable 1.4 and extra weight doomed it.

On the top of my wish list is a modern collapsible Summi 50 2.0 that focuses to .7m.  Hope Wetzlar is listening, should be a winner.

More important than any of that tho, is 20 yrs experience with Photoshop b/c I shoot for print 1st.  Internet is secondary

You're going to love the improvement, congrats!

Had it since Christmas, I do love it! Can't pin down exactly what it is about it, the half a stop shouldn't make that much of a difference, though I do shoot wide open a lot. The way it renders colour seems better somehow. The 2.5 Summarits are by far the best deal Leica lenses on the market though.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

I also see almost no difference between the 240 and M10 in terms of viewfinder.  I looked back and forth between them and the 28mm frames look just as close to the periphery, and I could barely make out the slight difference in magnification.  Hardly what I would call compelling.  Then again some people claim the M240 is an improvement over the M9 rangefinder but I could never see that either. 

I see no difference in the field of view but a significant difference in ease of focusing some lenses like my 75mm Lux and APO-Cron. The 50 Lux is also easier (for me.)

• Like 1

When I got my M10, I had to do A/B comparisons between M240 and M10 to see the difference. But if you use an M10 exclusively for a while then switch back, the difference is dramatic. I find the 28mm frame lines very slightly easier to see, but not a huge difference. Adan has pointed out that the M10 28 lines have gotten a bit larger and more accurate in the redesign, hence the minimal relative difference in visibility.

• Like 1

Hi Paul.

I've been shooting with the M-D since last November and I've conducted extensive tests using a tripod and exposure bracketing across several lenses and many different lighting situations.  I use Lightroom's histogram.  I've concluded my M-D exposes very well in nearly all cases.  When I have shot into very bright light and bracketed plus one and two, the normal exposure is nearly always best.  Same with bracketing minus one or two in very dark shots.  My only criticism of the M-D is the noise at higher ISO as compared to my Nikon DF.  However the higher ISO images clean up sufficiently in Photoshop and other tools I use for noise.

I am no longer concerned over my inability to verify M-D exposure during nearly all types of shooting.  I am very pleased with the M-D.

• Like 1

Hi Paul.

I've been shooting with the M-D since last November and I've conducted extensive tests using a tripod and exposure bracketing across several lenses and many different lighting situations.  I use Lightroom's histogram.  I've concluded my M-D exposes very well in nearly all cases.  When I have shot into very bright light and bracketed plus one and two, the normal exposure is nearly always best.  Same with bracketing minus one or two in very dark shots.  My only criticism of the M-D is the noise at higher ISO as compared to my Nikon DF.  However the higher ISO images clean up sufficiently in Photoshop and other tools I use for noise.

I am no longer concerned over my inability to verify M-D exposure during nearly all types of shooting.  I am very pleased with the M-D.

Thanks Dave,

I have already made the decision and bought a used M-P 240. The M-D was (and is) a very tempting proposition.

Best

Paul

Hi Paul.

The M-D has "classic" aka oblong center-weighted metering a la M8/9.  As such it is fooled by a small subject of significantly different brightness than its surroundings.  Even moreso if said subject is outside the weighted metering area.