Leica in 2024 and 2025: What’s next from Wetzlar

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's a bit of reading of the tea leaves from Mike Evans at Macfilos. 

He covers his thoughts and predictions on the SL, Q and the possibility of an M with EVF as well as the M system.

Leica in 2024 and 2025: What’s next from Wetzlar

https://www.macfilos.com/2024/02/05/leica-in-2024-and-2025-whats-next-from-wetzlar/

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Al Brown:

Regarding the M11-D he mentions, imagine...

regarding that hypothetical M11-D, i very much hope Wetzlar will come up with a triple functionality built into shutter button tower, in this order, from top to bottom  : shutter release button - thumb rest - standard power switch.  that should be doable, engineeringwise, or what do people think ?

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Regarding the M11-D he mentions, imagine, you would not even know when it freezes.

Touché! 😅

Only those who can hear the sound of one hand clapping would be able to tell.

Edited by Herr Barnack

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Al Brown:

Regarding the M11-D he mentions, imagine, you would not even know when it freezes.

If she freeze, she becomes cold like an ice cube :) Here a pre-release model of the 50th

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Correct me if I am wrong but since the M11 was released, the other versions came out quite fast (M11-P and -M), aren't they? Thought this is stretched way longer over the product lifecycle (based on my memories of the M10). 

But I believe in 2024/2025 they will go for the Safari / special editions and probably the M11-D which still seems to be quite popular among connoisseurs (also based on the used market demand)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jewl said:

Correct me if I am wrong but since the M11 was released, the other versions came out quite fast (M11-P and -M), aren't they? Thought this is stretched way longer over the product lifecycle (based on my memories of the M10). 

But I believe in 2024/2025 they will go for the Safari / special editions and probably the M11-D which still seems to be quite popular among connoisseurs (also based on the used market demand)...

Here is your list.
https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Leica_M_chronology

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Jewl:

dear Jewl,

i like the "connoisseurs" part as it reminds me of a "dégustation de vin", of some sort of expertise, welch erhabener klub !  for my part, i simply like the fact not having to deal with [D]istraction of the menu sort while taking my pics, that's the D for me in M*-D.

regarding that 'used market demand', i am reading about it for weeks and months, and while i have indeed received some signs of life via the noisy Kijiji avenue, nothing of that sort happened to me via Classifieds/Gebrauchtmarkt in our own forum here, just dead silence - why ?  where is the demand ?  strange...  any clue ?

20 minutes ago, fenykepesz said:

dear Jewl,

i like the "connoisseurs" part as it reminds me of a "dégustation de vin", of some sort of expertise, welch erhabener klub !  for my part, i simply like the fact not having to deal with [D]istraction of the menu sort while taking my pics, that's the D for me in M*-D.

regarding that 'used market demand', i am reading about it for weeks and months, and while i have indeed received some signs of life via the noisy Kijiji avenue, nothing of that sort happened to me via Classifieds/Gebrauchtmarkt in our own forum here, just dead silence - why ?  where is the demand ?  strange...  any clue ?

There is one on auction on ebay right now. 9 bids and sitting at $8000 with 2 days to go. 

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb RobW0:

There is one on auction on ebay right now. 9 bids and sitting at $8000 with 2 days to go. 

perfect, saw it on eBay, nice piece !  and it confirms the price range...

thank you @RobW0 for this information !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

perfect, saw it on eBay, nice piece !  and it confirms the price range...

thank you @RobW0 for this information !

Used market is very slow right now in general. (I buy and sell a ton of Leica gear). To sell a camera like the M10D or M10R black paint, for premium pricing and old generation, you need to find the exact right buyer, which slows things a bit. 

I highly encourage you to check out the Leica classifieds on Facebook. It’s safe and a good community. No fees. 

I’ve listed a few items on l-camera classifieds over the years and there was zero traffic. I believe that is very typical of the L-camera classifieds and wouldn’t recommend usage personally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow, that's quite some information, @dkmoore and @RMF thank you both !

i am a greenhorn in such matters - although some 15y ago too, i tried in Boston to sell *all* my photo equipment (35mm, 6x6, 6x9, two high-res film scanners, tons of accessories, you name it) in commission with the best photo dealer in town, just to see that famous store collapse a few months later and a few hundreds bucks perhaps a year later, some 5% of the original value.  at that time too i was planning to purchase a Leica M, my first one, through selling all my film stuff !  let's hope it works out a bit more civilized this time...

i thought i could avoid FB 'life-long' but perhaps i will need to join that club, at least temporarily - or use my wife's account 😊

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, fenykepesz said:

with [D]istraction of the menu sort while taking my pics, that's the D for me in M*-D.

@fenykepesz  That is great, M minus Distraction = M-D   !

BTW, there are two M10-D's for sale on UK ebay right now, £4200 (update: now sold) and £6500 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204634849880

Also there were 4 (four!) on mpb in the USA just a few weeks ago and now there is only one: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/leica-m10-d

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Datsch:

@fenykepesz  That is great, M minus Distraction = M-D   !

BTW, there are two M10-D's for sale on UK ebay right now, £4200 (update: now sold) and £6500 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204634849880

Also there were 4 (four!) on mpb in the USA just a few weeks ago and now there is only one: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/leica-m10-d

i like that [M]inus, @Datsch, M-D or M*-D or M??-D ! following the KISS philosophy !

in toto, the market for used M10-D appears to be alive, considering that there are just some 2000 pieces around worldwide...good for me, as i am trying to sell mine !

i am just wondering how long it takes to be accepted into that Facebook group called : leicaclassifieds ?  they seem to be quite strict there who to let in to that club which is perhaps fine though it would be nice to hear back from them in some reasonable time...

On 2/7/2024 at 1:43 AM, dkmoore said:

To sell a camera like the M10D or M10R black paint, for premium pricing and old generation, you need to find the exact right buyer, which slows things a bit. 

Leica Mayfair seem happy to wait for the right buyer with their pricing strategy:

https://classic.leica-camera.com/uk/en/lcuk/Leica-M10-R-Black-Paint-20062/20062SH-5623777?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=701Sd000004TqnbIAC&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fclassic.leica-camera.com%2fuk%2fen%2flcuk%2fLeica-M10-R-Black-Paint-20062%2f20062SH-5623777.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all of the universe raving about the new Fujifilm X100IV, see:

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2024/02/fujifilm-x100-vi-gets-ibis-woo-hoo.html

it brings me back to what Leica will or could do to the M12. The M12 will probably sell for 6x the price of the x100VI and I Wonder if any of the new features brought out in the new X100 could show in the M12. Now if the M12 became 2mm thicker and 46 grams heavier, would the M universe come to a halt? And, no, I don't want video or auto-focus on the M12.

• Like 1

The M12 will surely have IBIS. Dimension-wise, they've settled on an M7-shape for the past two iterations. There would be uproar if they made it thicker or thinner. Only permissible change would be to shave a millimetre or two off the height, to get it to M2/3/4/6 size.

Whatever Leica does, a stray too far from the traditional M values and philosophy will lose more customers than gain new ones, so a very careful strategy has to be planned to keep the old standard (M10-R being the last "classic" digital M) and go with (unnecessary) innovations developements for insatiable market demands parallel to the classic M line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2