Availability?

dennersten

The $800 reflects some reduction for shipping. It does not reflect an amount for US duty which is 2.3%. However, duty is only collected on a reasonably small proportion of shipments, in my experience.... sort of a crap shoot...and yes, anything is better than B&H, they are the absolute pitts for this kind of thing, constant source of misinformation and can never talk to the same person twice and therefore zero personal accountability... in addition, they seem to have many orders and for whatever reasons Leica does not seem to be allocating them their fair share based on feedback from this website... who needs 'em...

Speaking more practically with respect to B&H, I don't understand why locals buy Leica gear there over the company store just downtown, as B&H respects Leica's MAP and buying direct may very well confer some nebulous goodwill with respect to dealing with any problems that arise post-purchase.

• Like 1

Speaking more practically with respect to B&H, I don't understand why locals buy Leica gear there over the company store just downtown, as B&H respects Leica's MAP and buying direct may very well confer some nebulous goodwill with respect to dealing with any problems that arise post-purchase.

Buying direct offers no advantage over buying anywhere else. Leica has excellent customer service...they aren't going to treat a customer any less because he bought from a dealer vs a directly from a Leica owned store.

Many issues, especially in the US

Batteries can't be shipped by air, they must be delivered "ground" or in the case of a shipment from overseas via ship.

That's not true, for the USA at least. When shipped in bulk and not inside the devices they power they are classified as Dangerous Goods but they are then shipped via Cargo aircraft.

Lithium batteries can be just as 'dangerous' shipped in bulk by ship as by air surely.

But I agree that the stringent regulations around transporting lithium batteries probably is the root cause of slight delays in their availability.

Photographic equipment inbound to the US from UK/EU handled by common carrier should be subject to duty. Sometimes the carrier collects the duty sometimes they do not. That is all I am observing.

Actually there is NO import duty on still cameras and lenses in the US. Haven't looked into this since last year, but UPS charged a $75 dollar "handling fee." Other courier services did not. I don't know whether there is any import duty on ciné cameras or lenses.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Edited by Guest

That's not true, for the USA at least. When shipped in bulk and not inside the devices they power they are classified as Dangerous Goods but they are then shipped via Cargo aircraft.

Lithium batteries can be just as 'dangerous' shipped in bulk by ship as by air surely.

But I agree that the stringent regulations around transporting lithium batteries probably is the root cause of slight delays in their availability.

not exactly...the batteries aren't being shipped from the US to the US.

It all depends on the country of Origin...I know for a fact that DJI for example has shipped their batteries by container resulting in delays for their last few product launches.

Several passenger and cargo airlines that UPS uses to serve some markets around the world now prohibit shipments of lithium ion batteries packaged without equipment (UN3480, shipped in accor- dance with Section II of IATA Packing Instruction 965) on their aircraft. As a result, some countries are no longer available as origins or destinations for these shipments, or in some cases, addi- tional time in transit may be required. Visit ups.com for more information. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's all in flux a bit but I would still expect camera batteries from the EU to be travelling to the US by air freight, not container ship. It's a moot point I guess, since they get there when they get there and I'm not even there :)

It's all in flux a bit but I would still expect camera batteries from the EU to be travelling to the US by air freight, not container ship. It's a moot point I guess, since they get there when they get there and I'm not even there :)

I was assuming they were coming from China.

Just looked, they are made in Indonesia which is a limited service area.

Made in Indonesia! The dark beating heart of the Made in Germany M10!

Well if that's the case then I'm sorry, maybe it is a ship bound logistical delay after all. I will imagine them travelling in a sleek black shipping container with its own 5 digit catalogue code and red dot.

Actually there is NO import duty on still cameras and lenses in the US. Haven't looked into this since last year, but UPS charged a $75 dollar "handling fee." Other courier services did not. I don't know whether there is any import duty on ciné cameras or lenses.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazin

At this time (and for at least the past 24 months) UPS and Pitney Bowes duty estimator both indicate 2.3% duty on still cameras and lenses.  If you happen to have anything -- e.g., a link to US customs website (I find it too difficult to use to find the pertinent information) -- supporting your understanding would appreciate it if you could please post.

Thank You

Buying direct offers no advantage over buying anywhere else. Leica has excellent customer service...they aren't going to treat a customer any less because he bought from a dealer vs a directly from a Leica owned store.

Still, as someone also said, I don't think I've ever dealt with the same person twice at B&H, so on that basis alone, I'd prefer to deal with the small cadre of pretty nice guys at the Leica SoHo store.

Regarding Leica's service, I've found it pretty attentive. My new M-D had a vertical alignment issue with its RF and asked the NJ shop if I could come in that week, so I could take it with me on a trip, and they made time for me and even got me a cup of coffee while I waited. Very nice people.

• Like 1

I'm anxious too. I think you have some false expectations which is what satureyes is commenting on. Relax, don't stare at your emails and it will show up, eventually. I wont get too upset until May has come and gone and I ordered a few minutes after launch. If it shows up earlier, fantastic. I heard from a few guys that work for Leica dealers, they said they truly have no idea when a shipment is coming until it arrives at their door. B&H is a huge store with hundreds (thousand?) employees and a big customer service department. They have no way of knowing just like the Leica Stores have no way of knowing how many and when.

• Like 1

At this time (and for at least the past 24 months) UPS and Pitney Bowes duty estimator both indicate 2.3% duty on still cameras and lenses.  If you happen to have anything -- e.g., a link to US customs website (I find it too difficult to use to find the pertinent information) -- supporting your understanding would appreciate it if you could please post...

Cameras are duty-free. See heading 9006: https://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1201c90.pdf

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Spoke to Wilkinson cameras earlier in the UK. They have 2 on their waiting list for black and 1 for silver. They estimate 9 weeks.

Also spoke to a London dealer who have 20 on their list (but will probably work through it faster than some of the regional ones who will be allocated less. The Mayfair store will have an endless list as stated above as they don't ask for deposits. many of those on their list will also be on lists elsewhere