Availability?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you remember that UK listed prices include a 20% value-added tax - which you may or may not pay, depending?

You can't just convert the currencies, you have to know what is included in the price. Just as the U.S. may get 5-7% sales tax added on - depending on how and where you buy.

5-7%??...must be nice...its 10% here.

• Like 2

Very good. Makes sense as I was not evaluating it the right way.  

An M10 purchased in the UK and shipped to the US will save the purchaser about $800 USD (assuming no US sales tax).  Interestingly, the percentage discrepancy for lenses is quite a bit greater right now.

Edited by Leicauser7
  • Like 1

An M10 purchased in the UK and shipped to the US will save the purchaser about $800 USD (assuming no US sales tax).  Interestingly, the percentage discrepancy for lenses is quite a bit greater right now.

But its going to cost at least $100 to ship it insured if not more...and then you are going to have import duties.

Unless you are traveling to Europe and can bring it back with you, is it worth the extra hassle?

But its going to cost at least $100 to ship it insured if not more...and then you are going to have import duties.

Unless you are traveling to Europe and can bring it back with you, is it worth the extra hassle?

There shouldn't be any import duty on a digital stills camera (GATT thing) and $100 shipping to save $800 seems like a reasonable deal. Is it any more hassle than buying from B&H and having it shipped out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm supporting my "local" guys but, since it didn't arrive when I wanted it, I'm hoping to ship it to HI (where I'm going to visit my father) next week to save taxes.

If I don't get it by then, I may wait a while even though I was reminded why I was so anxious to get one -- MM or M9 hanging after a photo or two at high ISO, pfffft!

As both those two other cameras need to go to the mothership for new sensors, if I don't have the M10, I'll just go back to my M2 and film... It is what it is.

I'm one of those that becomes less entranced with a camera the longer I have to wait.

Guest jvansmit

Seems that the Leica stores are getting them far more quickly than the 3rd party resellers.... for obvious reasons...

Some grey market stores in Hong Kong have M10 stock but the boutiques do not.

The 'cheapest' I've found is RAHN in Tsim Sha Tsui (+852-2388-7884) who have/had a black M10 at HKD 59,800 which is USD 7704. The boutiques are charging USD8,090 for pre-orders.  

Edited by jvansmit

The $800 reflects some reduction for shipping. It does not reflect an amount for US duty which is 2.3%. However, duty is only collected on a reasonably small proportion of shipments, in my experience.... sort of a crap shoot...and yes, anything is better than B&H, they are the absolute pitts for this kind of thing, constant source of misinformation and can never talk to the same person twice and therefore zero personal accountability... in addition, they seem to have many orders and for whatever reasons Leica does not seem to be allocating them their fair share based on feedback from this website... who needs 'em...

Edited by Leicauser7

Do you mean to say that duty is due but can be evaded?

I await the OP's reply, but in the meantime: "Evaded" is such a strong word. Given the vagaries of the world in which we live, it is surely possible that a duty may be not paid and yet not evaded.

• Like 1

I await the OP's reply, but in the meantime: "Evaded" is such a strong word. Given the vagaries of the world in which we live, it is surely possible that a duty may be not paid and yet not evaded.

Well. If you are abroad and buy the camera. If you dispose of any evidence you have just bought the camera like the box etc then it will appear as if you're just with your camera.

Well. If you are abroad and buy the camera. If you dispose of any evidence you have just bought the camera like the box etc then it will appear as if you're just with your camera.

Yes though in Europe at least you want to do that after you've crossed border control, as I've read that in order to get a VAT refund you need to have the item still packaged. Otherwise, my understanding is, you used it in Europe and is therefore subject to VAT.

Yes though in Europe at least you want to do that after you've crossed border control, as I've read that in order to get a VAT refund you need to have the item still packaged. Otherwise, my understanding is, you used it in Europe and is therefore subject to VAT.

Well if you want the tax refund then you might end up getting stung for duty. I'd say chose one way or the other.

• Like 1

Well if you want the tax refund then you might end up getting stung for duty. I'd say chose one way or the other.

I agree. Life is short and I optimize for simplicity. Almost always telling the truth and dealing with the consequences is the easiest thing to do. Personally, if I'd bought a camera in e.g. Paris, there'd be no way it would survive in-box even to the adjacent arrondissement. Edited by edw
  • Like 2

So can someone explain the lack of batteries and EVF? If the cameras are being hand assembled and fine tuned by a finite group, what is up with the battery drought?

Many issues, especially in the US

Batteries can't be shipped by air, they must be delivered "ground" or in the case of a shipment from overseas via ship.

Also they are made by a different manufacture

I suspect they are in transit or at least I hope.

From experience with other manufactures batteries always come a few weeks behind

But it could also be that Leica didn't plan properly and started manufacturing late.

The EVF...who knows, but I assume these are made in batches and maybe Leica just didn't plan this well or there was an unexpected panel or part shortage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you mean to say that duty is due but can be evaded?

No, what he means is that in the US, duties are billed thru the carrier, for example Fedex.

And from experience, the duties are not charged on every shipment. I have no idea why...but it seems to be random. 

Technically you are probably obligated to pay these regardless...but even if you wanted to, it would be very difficult to figure out how to do this as the system is set up to bill thru the carrier.

But the real question is why is there a nearly $1000 price difference between US dealers and European dealers?

It would seem that due to the strength of the US dollar currently, it should be the opposite. I could understand a 5% variance, but its nearly 15%

No, what he means is that in the US, duties are billed thru the carrier, for example Fedex.

And from experience, the duties are not charged on every shipment. I have no idea why...but it seems to be random.

Technically you are probably obligated to pay these regardless...but even if you wanted to, it would be very difficult to figure out how to do this as the system is set up to bill thru the carrier.

But the real question is why is there a nearly $1000 price difference between US dealers and European dealers?

It would seem that due to the strength of the US dollar currently, it should be the opposite. I could understand a 5% variance, but its nearly 15%