I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my beloved one :)

lens is for sell on buy/sell btw.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice Lens David, the new SE? How do you like it ?

Yes Matt it is the 21 SE.Took me a while to see the world in 21mm but I'm really enjoying it now. Tried it mostly with the M9 but lately I've shot a couple of rolls of Tri-X on the MP and the results have been very pleasing. I think because of the relative lack of distortion it doesn't look obviously wide angle, just that each frame has lots going on.

• Like 1

Yes Matt it is the 21 SE.Took me a while to see the world in 21mm but I'm really enjoying it now. Tried it mostly with the M9 but lately I've shot a couple of rolls of Tri-X on the MP and the results have been very pleasing. I think because of the relative lack of distortion it doesn't look obviously wide angle, just that each frame has lots going on.

Wonderful news. Enjoy David !

• Like 2

They are made in batches, to order. If you have just missed the back end of a batch, it might be up to two or three months.

Mine took about a month last year, a-la-carte, so I think I was lucky.

Your dealer will be able to keep you informed.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a ballpark figure as to how long MPs take to arrive after being ordered? Are they made in batches, resulting in delivery time variations?

If you are after a bog standard MP they are not difficult to find new at UK dealers – e.g Robert White (a forum supporter) have both chrome and black paint cameras in stock. If you don't fancy paying £3300, a number of dealers (and the buy and sell forum here) usually have mint or near-mint examples for sale for much less.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are after a bog standard MP they are not difficult to find new at UK dealers – e.g Robert White (a forum supporter) have both chrome and black paint cameras in stock. If you don't fancy paying £3300, a number of dealers (and the buy and sell forum here) usually have mint or near-mint examples for sale for much less.

Thanks wattsy. I saw the MPs on Robert Whites website after I posted my waiting time question on this forum yesterday.

I don't currently have an M mount lens, but have ordered one, and by the time it arrives, I should own a new MP. I'll have very few days off work during the next two years, so I can afford to wait, unfortunately. Hopefully, my purchase of a new MP will help to keep film M's in production

Whilst I'm quite sure that people selling their s/h MP will have taken good care of it, I can justify buying new because I intend to keep it for a few decades, and I dont want to take a risk.

Does lens quality make much of a difference when shooting film?

I have the opportunity to purchase an MP-3 with matching Leicavit....new! It is one of the most beautiful cameras I have ever held....currently have an M6 and M4-P and there is nothing wrong with them. Purchase price is $8500....that is a lot of coin for a film body that essentially functions as the same light-tight box as my other two perfectly functional and capable Leica's. And yet I've already lost a few nights slumber trying to figure out how I can work the numbers to have it before I travel to NYC in July. But then do I want to wander around NYC with something this expensive and rare hanging from my wrist. My M4-P or M6 get damaged/stolen, I'm out $1500 at most, and I could replace them in a heartbeat.....hmmm.....I suspect another night of restless slumber.

I have the opportunity to purchase an MP-3 with matching Leicavit....new! It is one of the most beautiful cameras I have ever held....currently have an M6 and M4-P and there is nothing wrong with them. Purchase price is $8500....that is a lot of coin for a film body that essentially functions as the same light-tight box as my other two perfectly functional and capable Leica's. And yet I've already lost a few nights slumber trying to figure out how I can work the numbers to have it before I travel to NYC in July. But then do I want to wander around NYC with something this expensive and rare hanging from my wrist. My M4-P or M6 get damaged/stolen, I'm out $1500 at most, and I could replace them in a heartbeat.....hmmm.....I suspect another night of restless slumber.

So sad, Jeff.

Buy the Imacon you've wanted instead. :)

Agreed, if only logic was a greater factor in these decisions :rolleyes:

just investigated and noted that the windows have the raised frames of the M3. That, on it's own, could sway me, but I am a x0.85 VF sort of guy. :D

We talking silver finish here, Jeff ? Be great for our trip.

Logic: The cost of ownership is probably 0$ or po$itive. Beats any other camera on the market

Agree with that spot-on logic Ned...

We talking silver finish here, Jeff ?

Yes sir. I also have the option to purchase the matching retro 50/1.4 Lux Asph....43mm front filter diameter with beautifully knurled focussing ring...smooth as butter. Since everything is new I also get the full Leica warranty.

Some example images here of the body:

Leica MP3 LHSA Special Edition - Photo-Arsenal Germany

and here:

Setadel Studios : Photography Equipment : Cameras : Leica MP3 LHSA Chrome Camera Body +Box Clean Nice

Lens images here:

Setadel Studios : Photography Equipment : Lenses : Leica 50mm Summilux-M F1.4 LHSA ASPH Chrome M Lens Nice

This is torture. Since I mainly shoot B&W film these days, I am also feeling the pull of the Monochrom for the same price.....but then there is an M10 around the corner....in addition, I have a 35 Lux FLE coming in about two weeks time, so must factor in that cost as well.

Does lens quality make much of a difference when shooting film?

Yes, I think so. It's true you can't pixel peep film like you can digital but differences in lens quality is still visible using film. This is especially true with regard to contrast, flare characteristics, bokeh, and just the general 'look' that you get with certain lenses. I might be tempted to suggest that some lenses actually look better on film. This may be to do with the thickness of film and how this affects the fall-off of sharpness, etc. but it is more likely simply because I tend to think the film results look nicer.

• Like 2

This is torture. Since I mainly shoot B&W film these days, I am also feeling the pull of the Monochrom for the same price.....but then there is an M10 around the corner....in addition, I have a 35 Lux FLE coming in about two weeks time, so must factor in that cost as well.

If it helps, IMO the chrome MP3 camera is less desirable than the black paint equivalent.:D

Alas, the black paint is wonderful, but only the chrome is available. Perhaps I should just aim for an a la carte...not a fan of the chrome release bowl or hot-shoe though. No option to change this in the configuration.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...not a fan of the chrome release bowl or hot-shoe though. No option to change this in the configuration.

Jeff,

I've seen pictures of a black a la carte MP with a black release bowl (it might even have been earlier in this thread edit: refer to post 2533) and the owner said he'd contacted Solms directly for it, so it has been offered previously.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

You can switch it with the black one on your m4-p or m6 or even ask DAG or check on ebay.

For the black hot shoe, I guess Leica can do one for you or you also could have it done by a local shop for a few bucks. I had think I'll have it done for my MP...

Yes, I believe that if you ask for a black shutter release collar, Solms will try and oblige. I've read conflicting reports about the black hot shoe – it seems that it might depend upon what they have available at the time (or who you talk to). I agree that a BP MP does look better with black collar and hotshoe and IMO once you are into the realm of choosing an à la carte camera it is worth trying to get exactly what you want.

Edited by wattsy