I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps you received a fake!

Pete.:D

...heh, heh - very droll, Pete :D.

Seriously, I do recall insisting on a black hotshoe, having been advised at the time that the "regular" BP à la carte came with a silver chrome hotshoe (should "regular" apply to à la carte camera options?). I set out to get an all-black à la carte MP and eventually got one - save for the infernal silver chrome shutter release and the frame counter, which works better for me in silver.

Here's the funny thing - in all my 27+ years of M usage, the hotshoe has been 100% irrelevant. Hee, hee - what fun.

• Like 3

Hi, I am so happy, I have an external frame counter, a black hotshoe with an index line, even a special graving and a flash sign, three frames etc...I paid only a few more to an a-la-carte MP and I am laughing all the time, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thanks. The strap and case were both made by JnK in Korea. The quality is top notch. I'll write up a detailed review one of these days, but the bottom line: (1) the case fits perfectly, (2) the workmanship is better than I've seen on the other major competitors (see, in particular, the edge finishing), and (3) the stitching is all by hand.

The case looks good,

Quoting freely from Bruce Grant " A good braid has to have tongs even in with and thickness" Yes I know what I am talking about been braiding rawhide and building custom saddles for over 25 years. Sorry that narrow tong stuck out like a sore thumb to me, but won't effect the function of the strap.

Peter

• Like 2

...very nice case to park your MP in or to look at, mafoofan - but how does it handle? And where is the very functional thumb-rest/thumb-grip?

Handles very well. Honestly, I don't really need a case or add-on thumb rest to get a good grip on an M, though. Small hands and all. I have generally shot with older SLRs that are no larger than the MP and never needed any handling aids.

The case is mostly for a sense of protection, as little as it actually provides.

The case looks good,

Quoting freely from Bruce Grant " A good braid has to have tongs even in with and thickness" Yes I know what I am talking about been braiding rawhide and building custom saddles for over 25 years. Sorry that narrow tong stuck out like a sore thumb to me, but won't effect the function of the strap.

Peter

I can personally vouch for the fact that Peter knows whereof he speaks. He has made a fine strap for me for my MP, which makes it a pleasure to carry and hold.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 3

Why on Earth would you want that :confused:

Regards,

Bill

Properly sealing the edges increases durability. Otherwise, the raw leather is exposed to the elements and more prone to rot. There is no reason not to apply a sealant (preferably beeswax) other than the additional time, labor, and cost. You will find that all higher quality leather goods are edge sealed.

It looks better, too--but I won't push that more subjective point.

I can personally vouch for the fact that Peter knows whereof he speaks. He has made a fine strap for me for my MP, which makes it a pleasure to carry and hold.

[ATTACH]304151[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Bill

Nice to see a chrome MP. Really beautiful. I know black paint cameras are the rage, but I still think classic Leica is chrome. I can just see 25 years from now "la mode" will change and everyone will clamor for chrome Leicas again. Will we all strip off the black paint and get our old MPs re-chromed? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Properly sealing the edges increases durability. Otherwise, the raw leather is exposed to the elements and more prone to rot. There is no reason not to apply a sealant (preferably beeswax) other than the additional time, labor, and cost. You will find that all higher quality leather goods are edge sealed.

It looks better, too--but I won't push that more subjective point.

One thing with leather is you don't want to seal it completely, leather has to breath.

Looks like JnK uses one of the commercial edge sealants that work well smoothens out the cut and dyes the edge. I have never been a fan of that type of edge treatment, I prefer to burnish the edges with saddle soap and canvas what will give a smooth edge on saddle leather. On the latigo I don't do it because it doesn't burnish well but will smoothen out with use.

Peter

• Like 1

Sealing edges on leather is nothing new. I prefer sealed edges as it's cleaner and neater. The leather can breathe through the front/back surfaces.

What's more important is applying a leather conditioner once or twice a year to keep the leather from drying out and to keep it soft and supple. I just did this on one of my Luigi cases last night, actually.

Sealing edges on leather is nothing new. I prefer sealed edges as it's cleaner and neater. The leather can breathe through the front/back surfaces.

What's more important is applying a leather conditioner once or twice a year to keep the leather from drying out and to keep it soft and supple. I just did this on one of my Luigi cases last night, actually.

That has always been my practice. Weird though, on my Verdigris cameraleather cover for my M3, I put the conditioner on and it is now a dark green. Not sure if that is a permanent change, but the leather is definitely more supple!