Leica R-Adapter L Now Available

LUF Admin

All my lenses, including the 28 PC, but beside the 2 Mirror lenses, are 3-cam, so I will be buying the adapter, with or without auto-diaphragm function.

Really? I didn't think the 28PC could be cammed ?

I use mine as one would an M lens.

John

Really? I didn't think the 28PC could be cammed ?

I use mine as one would an M lens.

John

You are right John, meant "excluding" of course.

That' s why I pointed out the stop-down lever of the lens in my earlier post and why the existence of this lever and the absence of a cam could be the possible reason it is not compatible with the new adapter. When or if there is some sort of connection in the adapter, with the cam in the lens.

My mirror lenses have no aperture control in the lens at all, stopping down is done by ND filters.

Edited by AndreasAM
  • Like 1

I am both pleased and annoyed that Leica have released this adapter. 

In 2009 I sold my R6, 28f2.8, 50mmf2, 90mmf2, 180f3.4, Extender-R2x and numerous extras because the R system had been discontinued and no digital R system was being offered. I had used this system for 25 years!  With film becoming increasingly rare and expensive, and with no digital R even hinted at, I sold my Leica equipment (except my 21mmf4) and switched makes. 

For those who kept their R-lenses I am pleased that they are now able to use them on a Leica digital camera.  For me, however, it is very annoying that R-lens owners have had to wait until 2016 before they can use their lenses on a Leica digital SLR.

I wonder how many other Leica R owners were lost by Leica because of this incredibly long delay.

Evidently, your R lenses didn't capture your heart as mine have mine.

They were fine. But the lenses I really like on the SL just aren't the R lenses I had. I didn't have anything really special because I never shot film R.

Plus I want to make some room for the 50mm Summilux SL that's coming. After that all *I* need is a fast 85-100mm and (although I said it was the last thing I needed before) a 1.4x for the 90-280 and I'd be completely happy**.

Gordon

** or a new 24MP T body that I can use the 90-280 on. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if Leica did investigate the possibility of auto-diaphragm operation because while I accept the EVF will adjust to a stopped down lens to give a bright viewfinder image, critical focusing demands an open aperture.

I assume the complexities of (especially) aperture priority shooting would make the engineering cost very high for the likely sales. As it is, it's an extension ring which passes data back to the camera so there will be some conversion electronics in there which looks like an R body to the lens and SL lens back to the camera, keeping in mind the signalling levels and protocols are probably different on each side of the adapter.

If it had provided auto-diaphragm operation, that might of pushed me in the SL direction but I fear it hasn't.

• Like 1

I am both pleased and annoyed that Leica have released this adapter. 

In 2009 I sold my R6, 28f2.8, 50mmf2, 90mmf2, 180f3.4, Extender-R2x and numerous extras because the R system had been discontinued and no digital R system was being offered. I had used this system for 25 years!  With film becoming increasingly rare and expensive, and with no digital R even hinted at, I sold my Leica equipment (except my 21mmf4) and switched makes. 

For those who kept their R-lenses I am pleased that they are now able to use them on a Leica digital camera.  For me, however, it is very annoying that R-lens owners have had to wait until 2016 before they can use their lenses on a Leica digital SLR.

I wonder how many other Leica R owners were lost by Leica because of this incredibly long delay.

The DMR was available from 2005, and with the introduction of the M240 in 2012, R lenses could be used on a Leica FF digital ILC. Furthermore at Photokina 2012 Stefan Daniel reminded Leica users that he, " … never said sell your R lenses …"

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/188307-stefan-daniel-i-never-said-sell-your-r-lenses/?hl=stefan+daniel

The hints were there that Leica would try and accommodate R lenses and R users. 

Furthermore, many R users adapted their R lenses to Canon DSLRs and some adapted them to Nikon DSLRs (and to other makes) 

R lenses have always been 'usable' on digital platforms. 

dunk 

• Like 4

There will be a cheaper Chinese copy available soon.

I will just continue to use my adapter stack at this point.  I have the Leica M to R adapter and the T to M adapter.  For the couple of R lenses I have that will work well.  $750 even for Leica seems a little (read a lot) expensive 

Looks like ROM-contacts and fixed(!) tripod foot. Latter is a pity.

He said to use the Tripod adapter for longer lenses than 100mm, or long zooms or macro lenses.

The tripod adapter seems to be just like the one for the M-R adapter in that way. Except bigger!

John

• Like 1

Furthermore, many R users adapted their R lenses to Canon DSLRs and some adapted them to Nikon DSLRs (and to other makes) 

R lenses have always been 'usable' on digital platforms. 

dunk 

You don't need to adapt R lenses to work on Canon bodies, it's just a simple (and cheap) EOS to R mount convertor which you can leave fitted to the Canon. 

There are some lenses which can foul the mirror on some models but that can be resolved by a small modification to the mirror. 

Nikon users have to fit a new mount to the actual lens which is a more complex and expensive procedure. 

Adapter in the flesh

Looks like ROM-contacts and fixed(!) tripod foot. Latter is a pity.

Translation please?

?? He shows right in the video that the foot attaches the same way as it does with the R Adapter M. 

?? He shows right in the video that the foot attaches the same way as it does with the R Adapter M.

Yes, would love to have seen a rotational collar for the adapter, like the novoflex has.

Andreas

Edited by AndreasAM
  • Like 1

Yes, would love to have seen a rotational collar for the adapter, like the novoflex has.

It's an interesting idea, the ASTAT tripod adapter for the Novoflex adapter was useful if a bit clumsy in operation.

I've since gone to using the Acratech Universal L-bracket. It is adaptable for use with either camera body or lens mounted plates and seems a better solution because it positively locates both horizontal and vertical orientations with respect to the tripod. It can also be a bit clumsy in operation but seems less so than the ASTAT unit. 

It's an interesting idea, the ASTAT tripod adapter for the Novoflex adapter was useful if a bit clumsy in operation.

I've since gone to using the Acratech Universal L-bracket. It is adaptable for use with either camera body or lens mounted plates and seems a better solution because it positively locates both horizontal and vertical orientations with respect to the tripod. It can also be a bit clumsy in operation but seems less so than the ASTAT unit.

Yes, the Novoflex doesn't have a fitting groove for the collar, like for instance the Burzynski collar I have for the macro-R APO 100 mm.. Which for me is the gold standard in lenscollars

Would have expected Leica to do better in the engineering departement than a Novoflex one, but they failed both ways.....

Edited by AndreasAM

One remark to diaphragm operation. Users of M or R lenses know that it really does not matter After a few photos you do not notice the difference anymore because the EVF automatically adjusts brightness. Users of Leica R lenses on Sony cameras will readily agree (never heard complaints from them).

You do not speak for me, and you have not been hearing my complaints.

Leica did not design a rotating collar at all. Is that a failure? Hmm. I don't think I can agree with that.

They've designed an excellent, strong, light tripod mount, from the look of it. 

It's a failure for me.  The Novoflex rotating tripod collar allows me to use all of my lenses on a Sony body using only my favorite tripod head, the Acratech long-lens head.  Changing tripod heads is a non-starter, and an L-bracket's limited adjustability with the long-lens head is equally a non-starter.

Edited by wildlightphoto

Leica did not design a rotating collar at all. Is that a failure? Hmm. I don't think I can agree with that.

They've designed an excellent, strong, light tripod mount, from the look of it.

I don't doubt that this Leica mount, like the mount of the M-R adapter, will be sturdy, well made and will do the job fine, especially balancing the bigger R-lenses. But it can't rotate the camera on a tripod. Turning the ballhead with the lens 90 degrees is a no-no in my opinion.

So I agree with Doug, the Novoflex, or especially the Burzynski collar is more versatile and better in use. In the field nothing is easier than just turning one handscrew to change the mode from landscape to portrait, without changing the composition or focus and then fix the lens securely in one movement.

The Burzynski collar is even more sturdier and of better design. Because of the lower point of gravity of the lens, with this collar, on the ballhead (for me an Arca P0) all becomes less susceptible for movement and thus, unwanted, blur especially with long lenses or a macro.

So let's put it in an another way, Leica missed an opportunity I guess.

Because a lot of long lenses or the bigger lenses will be used with this adapter.

Perhaps the diameter of the adapter is fitting for one of the Burzynski collars. The adapter is even on the outside, so it might work.

I will look into it.

• Like 1

Categorizing everything that doesn't meet your specific personal needs or desires as a "manufacturer failure" is going to include a heck of a lot of everythings. But okay, it doesn't meet your needs. 

How does an L-bracket limit the adjustability of the Acratech long-lens head? As far as I can tell, this head only allows pivot fore and aft as well as pan movements. I can't see how a bracket that allows you to mount a camera and lens assembly in the head's mounting clamp in two orientations limits anything at all. Nor can I see any reason for you to change to another head because you use an L bracket affixed to the lens. If the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX works on this tripod head, so will the Acratech Universal L-bracket. Why wouldn't it? 

Of course, neither the ASTAT-NEX nor the Acratech Universal L-Bracket are the ideal solution, which would be lenses that have their own proper tripod mounts that allow portrait to horizontal rotation. Most long lenses have that already. What long lenses would you like to use that don't already include their own rotating tripod mount?

My two long lenses (Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 v1 and Telyt-R 250mm f/4 v1) have fixed position tripod mounts. The L-Bracket along with a lens plate works very well to put them on either my Acratech GP1, Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Arca-Swiss Monoball P0, or Markins Emilié heads with the ability to switch between portrait and landscape orientation quickly and easily. I couldn't use the ASTAT-NEX with these lenses because they're too large and heavy.