Leica R-Adapter L Now Available

LUF Admin

The Burzynski collars look good. I hadn't seen those before ... Likely because most of my long lenses have all had their own tripod mounts already. 

The collar I have is especially designed for the Leica-R APO Elmarit's macro 100/f2.8, 180/f2.8 and the vario Elmar 80-200/f4. All don't have a collar and the optional Leica collar (STA-1) is a much less sturdy plastic one.

There are also Burzynski versions as replacements for some of the collars from Nikon and Canon longer lenses

• Like 1

How does an L-bracket limit the adjustability of the Acratech long-lens head? As far as I can tell, this head only allows pivot fore and aft as well as pan movements. I can't see how a bracket that allows you to mount a camera and lens assembly in the head's mounting clamp in two orientations limits anything at all. Nor can I see any reason for you to change to another head because you use an L bracket affixed to the lens. If the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX works on this tripod head, so will the Acratech Universal L-bracket. Why wouldn't it? 

At macro distances changing the camera between vertical and horizontal orientation using a rotating collar doesn't change the composition.  An L-bracket does, meaning moving and re-adjusting the tripod.  The L-bracket also has only two fixed orientations 90 degrees apart while the rotating collar allows small changes in orientation. The rotating collar is also handy when using the camera with a shoulder stock, since the shoulder stock is rarely perfectly horizontal.

long lenses would you like to use that don't already include their own rotating tripod mount?

The rotating collar can also be used on shorter lenses like the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R because the collar is on the adapter not on the lens.  It can also be used with many other lenses that don't have a tripod collar.

My two long lenses (Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 v1 and Telyt-R 250mm f/4 v1) have fixed position tripod mounts.... I couldn't use the ASTAT-NEX with these lenses because they're too large and heavy. 

I don't use the Novoflex collar when I use the 280mm or 500mm lenses, which have their own rotating tripod mounts.  Having used both fixed and rotating tripod mounts on my long lenses one of the 'must-have' features for me is either a built-in rotating tripod mount or some way to use an add-on rotating tripod collar.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 1

A properly designed and fitted L-bracket maintains the exact optical center of the lens regardless of the orientation. The Kirk bracket does if you set it up correctly. It's one of the features listed for most all quality L-brackets. For short lenses, you fit the L-bracket to the body, not the lens, and the optical center is again preserved. 

This is actually the point of an L-bracket: it allows a quick flip of the camera from horizontal to vertical and back without disturbing the tripod setup and optical center, and keeps the camera-lens assembly centered over the tripod head. It's why good clamps and plates/brackets have index markings scribed on the mating surfaces, so that you can maintain perfect alignment. 

These complaints are specious. "It's not what I like" is as good an explanation of why you're complaining as anything else you've said. I'm okay with that, I just don't like to see incorrect statements made about something that works so well. 

If you can always level your shooting platform and you only want to shoot with the long side either parallel or perpendicular to the shooting platform then an L bracket is fantastic. I would guess that for the vast majority of shooters this is all they need. If you can't level your shooting platform and you have a something like the Acratech head that doesn't move side to side like Doug, then I can see how a rotating collar would be useful. I personally find that for almost all my shooting a L bracket works well, but for macro shooting it is often hard to completely level the shooting platform for some of the low angle shots and in that case I find a rotating collar very useful.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you can always level your shooting platform and you only want to shoot with the long side either parallel or perpendicular to the shooting platform then an L bracket is fantastic. I would guess that for the vast majority of shooters this is all they need. If you can't level your shooting platform and you have a something like the Acratech head that doesn't move side to side like Doug, then I can see how a rotating collar would be useful. I personally find that for almost all my shooting a L bracket works well, but for macro shooting it is often hard to completely level the shooting platform for some of the low angle shots and in that case I find a rotating collar very useful.

I agree. Of course, I doubt I'd choose a long lens tripod head with limited movements like that for macro shooting in the first place, and all the usual long lenses have their own, dedicated rotating tripod mounts already.

Leveling the head is a particular strength with the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 and Acratech GP1 ... the first is an inverted ball design and has built into it the easy ability to level camera and lens, the second can be configured into an inverted ball design to do the same thing. My primary macro setup (Leitz Focusing Bellows-R + Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f/4 in short mount) has built into it both a camera rotational mount for vertical/horizonal orientation and geared focusing rail. Just mount it on one of the tripod heads or camera stand, and fit the SL on the back of it with the adapter. 

The collar I have is especially designed for the Leica-R APO Elmarit's macro 100/f2.8, 180/f2.8 and the vario Elmar 80-200/f4. All don't have a collar and the optional Leica collar (STA-1) is a much less sturdy plastic one.

I don't think the Burzynski adapter is still made.

I use it on the Leica-R APO Elmarit 180/f2.8

It works well and the tightening screw is much less cumbersome than on the Novoflex.

The tripod mount is also an Arca-Swiss mount.

Only the finish is a bit crude.

• Like 1

I don't think the Burzynski adapter is still made.

I use it on the Leica-R APO Elmarit 180/f2.8

It works well and the tightening screw is much less cumbersome than on the Novoflex.

The tripod mount is also an Arca-Swiss mount.

Only the finish is a bit crude.

As far as I know there are 2 web shops in Europe where you can still order them:

In France, Photo-nature:

http://www.photo-nature.fr/Index_Catalogue_Zoom.asp?key=1726

In Germany, Isarfoto:

http://www.isarfoto.de/isar_en/burzynski-macromount-leica-universal.html#.V5Uh1pBUerU

But my experience is that Isarfoto has them mostly on back order.

Edited by AndreasAM

Are these R to L adapters shipping yet?

Would one of the first users please set up an image thread. Thank you.

I'm not sure what you expect to see as different because one might be using the R Adapter L vs the two adapter stack. Unless the photos are made with either extreme telephoto lenses or extreme macro extension, there will be no differences. ?? 

Looks like Novoflex are making a collar that suits their SL adaptors. Might be worth a look for the R adaptor if the circumference is similar.

http://mainlinephoto.com.au/novoflex-astat-sl-lens-mount-accessory-for-lecia-sl-adapters-availability-end-of-july-2016/

Nice! All we need to know is the diameter of the Novoflex mount adapters and the diameter of the Leica R Adapter L ... If compatible, it will provide a good alternative for those who demand a rotating collar mount. (I recall that some of the RayQual mount adapters for Sony A7 were also compatible with the ASTAT-NEX mount, so there is precedent.)

"Using the external secondary meter on the SL, the camera will estimate the aperture based on the exposure settings and ambient light reading."

Seems to me this is about as good as the lens itself telling the SL camera what aperture the lens is set at.  Or am I missing something? 

Looks like Novoflex are making a collar that suits their SL adaptors. Might be worth a look for the R adaptor if the circumference is similar.

http://mainlinephoto.com.au/novoflex-astat-sl-lens-mount-accessory-for-lecia-sl-adapters-availability-end-of-july-2016/

Gordon

I wonder if the old ASTAT NEX collar will fit the Novoflex Canon AF adapter. I have it, and it is great.

"Using the external secondary meter on the SL, the camera will estimate the aperture based on the exposure settings and ambient light reading."

Seems to me this is about as good as the lens itself telling the SL camera what aperture the lens is set at.  Or am I missing something? 

I do not know if that is unfriendly, but you miss, that there is no electrical connection between adapted lenses and the SL body. So there is no way for a data exchange.

With the native lenses the lens informs the camera of the aperture or is it the other way around - the camera is steering the aperture. So there is a data exchange and no need for guessing. (The SL 24-90, SL 90-280 and future SL 1.4/50).

So your citation is only valid for non-native (adapted) lenses.

For what it's worth, here are my 'observations' regarding this new R to SL adapter.

1. It CAN'T auto activate the auto-diaphragm mechanism of the R lenses as this is strictly a 'mechanical' mechanism.

As you looked at the lens' rear, the 'throw' is rather long and for an R body, this is not a problem as the mirror lifting

mechanism is what operates the diaphragm lever on the lens. Having an adapter to function with the diaphragm

requires that it has a similar mechanism. Is it possible? YES, but you wouldn't be interested because it will require

battery power to be supplied to a motor device which then closes the diaphragm before the exposure and then

reopens the diaphragm after the exposure. This would add significantly to the adapter's size, weight, AND PRICE!

2. Not having seen the adapter, I can only surmise that it with its construction of electrical contacts, lenses prior

to 1976, most have one OR two cams, and possibility of three cams (if the user had it modified for the

R cameras, commencing with the R3, which, if memory serves was introduced in 1976), these 'Standard'

and 'SL' cams projects too deeply into the new adapter's throat.

The third cam is tiny and occupies little space, NOT like the first two cams. The third cam won't interfere

with the physical dimensions of the throat of the new adapter. Could Leica have anticipated this 'conflict'

of dimensions, maybe, maybe not, as I have seen the inside of the 'throat' of this new adapter.

Regarding the ROM contacts, I have modified well over $39,000 worth or R lenses for a friend so he can use them

with his Nikon system. VERY few of his lenses have ROMs, most have three cams and I removed all three during

my conversion. Do these lenses work? Of course. Do they perform? Of course. Are they convenient? For me, no.

I've used preset diaphragm lenses in my youth as I could not afford auto lenses. These lenses slow you down and

in my opinion, once you've used auto-diaphragm lenses, it's VERY difficult to 'go back.' Ditto for auto-focus. Do

I use converted lenses? Yes! I use old Nikkors meant for their rangefinder cameras and Leica screw mount (LTM)

and Leica M mount lenses with my Sony A7r with much success, but to make it convenient, I 'settled' on using

the lenses at a predetermined aperture, primarily either at wide-opened or one or two stops down depending on

the maximum lens aperture, e.g., f/1.4 or f/2.0 or f/2.5 (fabulous Nikkor 105mm f/2.5). Any stops smaller will

either render the camera's 'screen' to be too dim at low light levels or the Sony's auto-gain will kick in. I leave

the lens at whichever aperture I set it AND don't touch it at all. I don't like to have to open the lens for focusing

and then close it down to the desired shooting aperture. Unlike a preset lens, which permits you to rapidly close

the lens down to the predetermined aperture for shooting, a modified R lens or a Leica LTM or M or a S-series

Nikkor doesn't have this 'luxury.'

For example. I have a f/2.0 Summicron-R; I would like to shoot at f/8.0. Before the exposure, for focusing, it's

a relatively simple process to rack the lens wide-open. Focus. Before I press the shutter release, I need to 

close the aperture down to f/8.0. Either one of two methods are involved, one, remove the camera from my

face, look at the lens' aperture setting ring and turn it to f/8.0, replace the camera to my eyes AND HOPE that

my focus is still good as f/8.0 gives a dimmed view AND it also contributes added depth-of-field which masked

the critical focus point (after all, didn't we ALL bought Leicas for the quality of their lenses - what good is it if I

can't focus properly?). WIll my active three-year old kid still BE STILL? Hoping upon hope, yes, I can THEN

and only then release the shutter. Method two - OK does my lens have half-stop clicks? YES it does. OK from

f/2.0 to f/8.0, that's four stops down. So how many 'click-turns' must I make to stop the lens down to f/8.0?

My fingers tell me that that requires EIGHT clicks from f/2.0 to reach f/8.0. My three-year old kid (I don't have

a three-year old, this is all hypothetical) is not standing still. Do I have the time to make this adjustment?

It depends:

1. activity of the subjects (kids, sport, table-top objects, landscapes, etc.)

2. do I have a 'fast' lens?

3. do I like to shoot at small apertures?

4. is my eyesight good enough to focus a lens at, say, stopped down to f/5.6?

5. will the added depth-of-field at the stopped down aperture interfere with critical focus? Remember,

a fantastically great lens CAN ONLY be fantastically GREAT iff (if and only if) it is critically focused and the

subject hasn't moved).

6. are my lenses post-1976? If not, DO I want to remove the offending cams?

7. do my lenses have ROMs?

8. does $750 justifies this adapter OR a less expensive non-Leica adapter serve your purpose?

I can't answer for you. I can only give you my two cents.

Edited by DerPixelator

steppenw0lf, on 27 Jul 2016 - 19:30, said:

I do not know if that is unfriendly, but you miss, that there is no electrical connection between adapted lenses and the SL body. So there is no way for a data exchange.

With the native lenses the lens informs the camera of the aperture or is it the other way around - the camera is steering the aperture. So there is a data exchange and no need for guessing. (The SL 24-90, SL 90-280 and future SL 1.4/50).

So your citation is only valid for non-native (adapted) lenses.

It's friendly.  The way I have understood how a ROM lens works; is the ROM in the lens tells the R camera what aperture the lens is set at, and what (if any) exposer compensation should be adjusted via it's time exposure in the camera (shutter speed) for each given f stop.  These time based exposure compensations are based on light measurements on each ROM lens tested; with the tests results being stored in the ROM during final stages of that lens assembly.  The varying light measurements for each f stop could be anywhere from correct (none;) to 1/8th of one stop (more or less...and I'm just guessing based from what I read some years ago) in exposure compensation for each f stop measured. 

Most lens don't have ROMS.  However; that has not stopped people from using their beloved 90 mm f/2 Summicron v2 on their MM.  If the light coming through the lens at a particular f stop is not exact, I'm sure everything else about the MM (auto time even possibly auto iso) will be more than enough compensation for any incorrect amount of light throughput via that particular lens for each and every given f stop.    

The way I have understood how a ROM lens works; is the ROM in the lens tells the R camera what aperture the lens is set at

It is the R cam which does that on the R3 to R9.

ROM gives more information but not that one.

That is why the SL will still have to guess the aperture even with ROM lenses.