Firmware-Update Leica M240 / M262 / Monochrom 246

My camera feels much slower and more unresponsive after the update. Anyone with the same experience? 

By any chance was your ISO set to auto or to 1250 or higher? The camera has a deeper ~12-frame buffer and higher 3fps frame rate at ISOs 200-1000. ISOs 1250-6400 it drops to around 1fps, 6-frame buffer and has less responsive behaviour as a result.

I also did the update a couple days ago. All went well.

As I do with all my cameras (of various brands), I set the time to match my computer's to the second. I made a time reference shot today to time synchronize several cameras used for a shoot, and for the first time in my use of Leica digital M cameras, the camera did not 'time drift' even after a couple days. Previously, the M240's clock would run fast and even a few days later would be 30 seconds to a minute too fast. I would have to shoot time sync photos as soon as possible for every multi-camera shoot to ensure I could accurately sync the Leica with the other cameras (I photograph the clock on my computer and compare it, to the second, against the time recorded to the image in EXIF).

I also shoot the camera quite intensively, often filling the buffer. I really, REALLY, appreciate that Leica has FINALLY fixed the software so that reviewing an image while the buffer is clearing to the card doesn't lock out the shutter release until the buffer is clear. THANK YOU!!! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is wrong with this company?

I'm registered on their owner's page together with my camera, but did not receive any notification of this update.

Which does not prevent Leica from sending me all kinds of e-mails, based on the same registration, trying to sell me various products.

Why am I finding out about this by accident on a forum?

Did anyone else receive notification from Leica? If so, what do I have to do for Leica to send me an e-mail about a firmware update in addition to its sales pitches?

Edited by STB

Does this update change the EV value display behavior in the viewfinder (currently the EV value highjacks the viewfinder if you set a value)?

Displays the shutter speed by default, but a half press displays the EV value.  Have to admit, I'd prefer the opposite. 

• Like 1

The other day I had a few lock-ups using the EVF (Olympus version) out in the sun. Happened pretty much one after the other... Probably not related to the update, but indicates there's still a bug lurking somewhere. Without EVF, lock-ups have been extremely infrequent (compared to a year or two ago).

The other day I had a few lock-ups using the EVF (Olympus version) out in the sun. Happened pretty much one after the other... Probably not related to the update, but indicates there's still a bug lurking somewhere. Without EVF, lock-ups have been extremely infrequent (compared to a year or two ago).

I've had the same experience regarding the upgrade, still some issues with the EVF but without it my M-246 continues to function very well.

Edited by joakim_d
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I updated and all was fine until I saved a user profile. I don't know if it is related or not, but after saving the profile, my sensor developed a 5-pixel wide vertical line on all subsequent images. I have sent the NJ service center and it has been 3 weeks with no word. Voice mailboxes are full, emails are un-returned and nobody answers the phone. What's up? I am a working photographer and highly dependent on this camera for shorter focal length work. I really wish Leica had something like Canon's CPS. This lack of communication and wait is killing me. I am trying to get by with my Q and it is not a great backup.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...