Firmware-Update Leica M240 / M262 / Monochrom 246

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings to you,

congrats cfor this update...    However.... Doesn't work for me/my 240 M-P.

Did everthing according to the book...

"FILE NOT FOUND, PLEASE INSERT MEMORY CARD WITH CORRECT FIRMWARE FILE".

What did I do wrong?

Help requested. Thanks.

You'll need to provide more details. Mac or Windows? What, exactly did you do? 

At a guess, you either failed to move or copy the file to the SD card, or you moved it into a folder on the card: it will only work in the root directory. Some people call this the highest level, some call it the lowest level, which is confusing. In filing cabinet terms, it's not in a folder in a drawer, it's sitting on the top of the cabinet. 

• Like 1

You'll need to provide more details. Mac or Windows? What, exactly did you do? 

At a guess, you either failed to move or copy the file to the SD card, or you moved it into a folder on the card: it will only work in the root directory. Some people call this the highest level, some call it the lowest level, which is confusing. In filing cabinet terms, it's not in a folder in a drawer, it's sitting on the top of the cabinet. 

Good way to explain it. Thank you.

I think this was always one of the problems: people using terms like "root directory" that no self-respecting adult has any right to understand.

• Like 1

Just to help anyone still having problems, here is what the SD card should look like after you have copied the update file onto the SD card

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

When you say "drop the .FW file onto the SD card icon", does it matter precisely where you put it on the file?

I have never yet performed a FW update that hasn't been a problem at some stage.

I hate them because the benefits of the update, when eventually executed successfully, are never great enough to outweigh the enduring humiliation of the very practical and predictable demonstration of my own incompetence.

Peter,

Yes.  That is why to keep it simple I suggest dragging the FW file to the SD card icon and dropping it there.  Too many people open the SD card in a viewer and get confused where to put it.  Or, they don't understand or see the "highest" level of the card structure or understand "root" directory.

This way. it ends up where it is supposed to just like Wilson's post #63.

Peter, follow my suggestion in post #51 and it will work!  Most efficient - fewest steps!

Rick

This is my second update since I bought my M 240 in late 2014.  Just like the first one, no glitches, as simple as 1-2-3 if you follow directions.

My user settings are very basic so I did not have to backup and restore them.  Three simple adjustments and I was good to go.  So far no

problems with camera performance.

I updated the firmware 2030 on my M240P and the firmware 1010 on my M246,both cameras' shutter count automatically reset to L100 0001.Is this normal or have I missed out something.

Edited by chris_yu
  • Like 1

Reset  it; inserting the SD card with your last image on it and taking one more shot should do the trick. (Interested whether that actually works - it should)

it does.

it also works if you take a photo and rename the 000001 image to whatever number you want. the camera will go from there.

• Like 2

Please, What does this mean for my M 240 (from the upgrade description)

It is now possible to display DNG files from the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) in all zoom

steps, also with the M/M-P (Typ 240 and 262)?

I think this means that if you insert partly-used card from one model into any of the others, you will be able to see all pics. When I briefly had a type 113 camera and by mistake put its card into M240 the pics only registered as numbered DNG files, but you could not see them.

Upgraded the firmware a few days ago now. Had my first lockup in months today. I had the EVF and GPS grip on and I was scrolling through the menu when it stopped scrolling. Switched off and the red led came on and stayed on. Opened the bottom to take the battery out but before removing the battery the red light went off. Switched the camera on and it was good for the rest of the day. Nothing had been recorded on the card during the incident.

I upgraded with out a problem my 240 & 246. Both got errors when I tried to import the old profiles. But no loss, easy enough to create new ones.

On my 246 I got an extra bonus. I have been having issues with sharpness. My images just weren't sharp as I expected. So I was looking at my technique, my lens, sensor, etc. I compared everything to my 240 and everything was great just more colorful.

So installed the update just to get rid of that stupid message, and what do I find after the update, my missing sharpness...

It makes no sense to me especially since I only shoot DNG. I made no changes to my workflow as I expected business as usual. But it's now fixed and it's acting a little more practicable, especially in metering.

Maybe my firmware was corrupt and the firmware update corrected it. I don't know, it's certainly strange.

Edited by Soden
  • Like 1

I upgraded a few days ago and today I got my first 'lock up' in over 2 years, after taking a series of shots. A flick of the on/off switch did the trick, no need for a battery removal. When I first got the camera in 2013 I got a lot of 'lock ups' but they soon disappeared. I put this down at the time to the fact that the battery had become fully 'run in' in old motoring parlance. I thought that this new firmware was supposed to have finally eliminated the 'lock ups'. Perhaps the 'rejuvenation' of the battery comes with a price.

I very much like the M240's output, but there are some 'clunky' handling aspects to its design. Leica has utilised the basic design in a number of different variants, most recently with the M-D. I hope that, as well as fixing the handling issues, the next truly new M will some show some attention being paid to the battery and buffering area, which is where I think that this problem lies.

William

Does this update change the EV value display behavior in the viewfinder (currently the EV value highjacks the viewfinder if you set a value)?

My camera feels much slower and more unresponsive after the update. Anyone with the same experience? 

You could check that your SD card is properly formatted to exFAT (only possible with a Mac or PC, not in camera).

There have been big discussions about this topic here on the forum.

My MM2 improved greatly in responsiveness since formatting SD cards in exFAT (only necessary once, following in camera formats, as I do them after each card download will retain the exFAT format of the card).