What does Peter Karbe do all day?

jrp

He's forever conjuring ways to part you from your money on shiny new things you probably don't need.

Yes, we don't actually "need" any of this.   Lots of those shiny new things, however, get filed under "want."

The more I learn about designing a lens the more I admire men such as Peter Karbe.   It is a monumental task dealing with glass types, shapes, distances and then to put this in a complex mechanism with tight tolerances, centering and movement.  Erwin Puts occasionally mentions a lens barrel that is made so thin that focus binds when held too tightly.   

• Like 2

Hopefully designing some compact lenses.

It's roughly Otus-like in size.

Made a pilgrimage to B&H yesterday and handled an SL for the first time. The body isn't greatly larger than an M240 but the 28-90 made my old 24-70 Nikkor seem model-svelte--surprisingly, the whole rig felt notably lighter than my old D700 + 24-70. AF is lightning fast + accurate and the EVF.....the Sony a7II I next fiddled with was jerky, and cruder in comparison.

Edited by james.liam