3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

I have the Novoflex to M adapter and use it stacked with the Leica M to SL adapter. As Caissa says there is no electronic connection. I use the Sigma art 35 on it and the focussing is pretty good - all by hand of course. I also have a Zeiss distagon 21 zf and that works beautifully on the SL through the same converters. I don't think I'd bother to even try Nikon G lenses on it, as manually focussing them is not much fun.

I've read here and elsewhere the sigma 35 art canon mount works well as autofocus with the appropriate mount. it's a great lens, but with the electronic adapter for canon mount I think would turn back into a bit of a hooter. I'm horribly tempted if it would give fast af as that lens and the SL would be great for documentary style shooting. Maybe we have to accept af=big and ugly.

Nikon G lenses are also easy to use, their focus is the "same" and the aperture control is handled by Nikon G adapters. (they substitute the mechanical part that is missing in the lens). I use the AF-S 2.8/17-35 from time to time and find it great (manual focus is fast and easy, focal range is flexible, f 2.8 is nice. Corner performance is not as perfect as a typical Leica lens, but when it came out it was the best lens by far, and I still find it not lagging behind more modern constructions. The SL 16-35 will probably beat it).

AF lenses of small size can also be found, e.g. the EF 1.8/50 STM. In good light its AF is fast and it generally offers good IQ (1-2 stops from fully open). Too bad that nobody is testing some "ordinary" EF lenses in depth, like the 24, 28, 35, 85, 100, 135, especially the older EF models. Or some Canon macro lenses. Novoflex did not really give enough details which lens is supported (which version) so it is still a risk to buy these old lenses. I have the general impression that the older AF lenses do not work well at all, but I could be completely wrong here. (and would like to be wrong here).

P.S: Sorry, made a mistake, the Nikon17-35 has a built-in aperture control, so is no G lens. But there are other "normal" zooms of the G type or some tele zooms or lenses that work well. I use all the Nikon lenses with a G type adapter, that is probably the reason I made the mistake.

And maybe a word of caution about the AF adapters. Even if the AF lenses work fine, they never work as perfect as with the original camera. It can happen that you need to reset the lens or even the camera after several minutes of use. I found that especially in very bright light (maybe the camera tries to use a time that is too fast for the lens ? Or to stop the lens too far down ?)

Usually they produce more noise than in original and usually the advanced focus modes are not working (this is even explicitly stated on the Novoflex box). And some lenses almost fail in bad light.

So I think there will be no hooters - but very well usable lenses (with the right expectations).   :)

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

Base on sigma website for the new 85/135 art lenses

=============================================

Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included

The Nikon mount version of this lens includes an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that allows it to receive the appropriate signals from the camera body. This feature ensures precision diaphragm control and stable Auto Exposure (AE) performance during continuous shooting.

==============================================

So you will get AF with these 2 new lenses

Edited by AlexP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming... SL + Canon f4.5L FD + 1.4x converter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Black Grouse (Tetrao tetrix). SL + Nikon 400mm f2.8E + 2xconverter, 1/1000 sec, f4.5, ISO800 (on tripod). [The bird doesn't appear sharp, but it is very sharp; no problem to focus with the SL...].

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a follow-up to small zoom-lenses on the SL discussed a few pages up in this thread, I have been playing a little with the Zeiss Contax 35-70mm f3.4. First impressions are very positive; fine colors, good contrast and sharpness, relatively low weight (475 g) and small size. A manual alternative to the SL-zooms, and possibly as fine as the Leica R 35-70mm f4. I may run a comparison between the two lenses when time permits

• Like 3

Your post brought me bad memories from hell when I used to go on trips as a slave to my equipment. But that's just me personally.

Fantastic trip!

Top regret: Wasting time with the Hasselblad X1D. Unresponsive. Tendency to hang. Unbelievably slow startup time. Indifferent-to-poor, cheap, plasticky feel - especially compared to the SL. Poor viewfinder. Took away from time I could have spent concentrating on my usual Canon gear. A lesson well-learnt!

Top used combination for me: Canon 1Dx + 200/2

Top used combination for my son: Canon 1Dx + 70-200/2.8

What I missed: Another 70-200/2.8 or equivalent!

Thoughts for the next trip - likely Serengeti and/or Mara in August 2017:

- Will take the SL with the 90-280/2.8-4 (did not want to buy this lens but will do so now - rather than get a second Canon 70-200/2.8)

- May take the Noctilux-M/0.95

- Will dump the IR-converted 1DMkIV (using live view to focus is too much of a hassle)

- Will take a 1Dx MkII with 400/4 DO II (have neither at the moment)

- Will likely not take the ZO 85/1.4

- Will definitely not take the unreliable Novoflex Canon-SL adapter

- All else as above

An oldish, low-weight, smallish, handhold-able, (relatively) inexpensive tele. Canon FD 500mm f4.5L + 1.4 converter. ISO800, 1/125s, f5.6. [Common wood pigeon (Columba Palumbus) in light rain]

Edited by helged
  • Like 8

SL ⎢ Novoflex SL/EOS ⎢ Sigma 85mm /1.4 ART 
ISO 200 ⎢ f/1.4 ⎢1/90 sec.

• Like 4

SL ⎢ Novoflex SL/EOS ⎢ Sigma 85mm /1.4 ART 

ISO 560 ⎢ f/1.4 ⎢1/250 sec.

+ 100% crop 

Edited by Vogelweide
  • Like 5

SL + Mayer Optik Trioplan 50 mm f2.9.

• Like 3

...and another one with the same lens. Not for everyones liking, obviously ;) . But the SL is certainly very well suited when being in the 'creative' (or should I say, wonna-be-creative) mood...

• Like 6

Novoflex state in the Nikon adapter blurb ..... rather vaguely ...... that Tamron lenses may work.

Judging from the very erratic performance of the Canon AF adapter I wouldn't hold your breath ....... :mellow:

'Work' is a rather flexible term ....... and there is a big difference in just working and working well enough to be usable. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Tamron has a tradition of producing excellent 90mm macro lenses. (since the 80s)

I have an older one (SP 90mm 2.5 model 52B) from the 90s that produces excellent results, but only in manual mode. (I use it in R mount, I used it already on the R5 before I could afford a Leica macro. Because of it's bokeh it is also a strong portrait lens.)

Now their latest model has AF and other professional features, e.g. it is weather-sealed. So it could be a valuable add-on to the Leica SL lenses (at least until there will be a native macro lens). (It has even image stabilization (VC), which is not usable on the SL)

For manual use I do not need an additional lens, but if AF works ok'ish, then I am interested.

So I would like to ask here, if anybody has tested the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD macro with the Novoflex EOS AF adapter. No optical test is required - I am quite sure it will be ok. for me, only the AF speed  (if it works at all) is the question.

(The Nikon version with the Novoflex Nikon AF adapter is not interesting as far as I understand, as AF is not supported anyway - it is no E type lens).

Thanks for replies.

Here a link to high-quality macro lenses, the Tamron is the number one.  http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-macro-lens-1310544/2

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Nikon has justs added a new AF-S 1,4/28mm lens. It is big, but still more compact than the Otus. And it is of type E, so it could be used with the Novoflex AF Nikon adapter. I think it is also weather-sealed, though Nikon speaks of sealing against moisture.

If anybody has the possibility to test it on the SL - please report here your experiences.   Thanks.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Nikon has justs added a new AF-S 1,4/28mm lens. It is big, but still more compact than the Otus. And it is of type E, so it could be used with the Novoflex AF Nikon adapter. I think it is also weather-sealed, though Nikon speaks of sealing against moisture.

If anybody has the possibility to test it on the SL - please report here your experiences.   Thanks.

...it is also reported that the lens should have improved coma - so the lens is a candidate for astrophotography.

Sigma 12-24 Art @19mm 

• Like 1

More from the 12-24 Art

• Like 4