3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there an adapter for the SL that allows one to use Mamiya 645 lenses? I have an adapted Samyang 24mm lens that I use on my Leica 007 (with the Leica - Mamiya adapter) and it works wonderfully. If it could work on the SL too that would make for a smaller, more lightweight package when needed. 

Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Is there an adapter for the SL that allows one to use Mamiya 645 lenses? I have an adapted Samyang 24mm lens that I use on my Leica 007 (with the Leica - Mamiya adapter) and it works wonderfully. If it could work on the SL too that would make for a smaller, more lightweight package when needed. 

Thanks in advance.

Novoflex

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 5/23/2022 at 3:03 PM, Sarnian said:

Is there an adapter for the SL that allows one to use Mamiya 645 lenses? I have an adapted Samyang 24mm lens that I use on my Leica 007 (with the Leica - Mamiya adapter) and it works wonderfully.

I guess that the official way would be to add the "S-Adapter L", but that would be overkill unless you want to adapt other S lenses.

C7adapters has a direct adapter that is 1€ cheaper than the Novoflex solution. Being a one-piece adapter, it will probably allow more shift movement without vignetting.

Do you have any other L-mount adapters for 35mm SLRs? You can probably find a cheap M645 adapter that mounts to that. I wouldn't use an M-mount adapter because it would limit your shift coverage.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Erwin74 said:

I would like to know if the Novoflex EF-SL autofocus adapter also works with the Leica SL2 and SL2-S?

Or does this adapter only work with the SL (601)?

I'm sure that I read in a different thread that the Novoflex adapter only works with the original SL. The Sigma adapter works with later camera, including Panasonic and Sigma bodies. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Erwin74 said:

I would like to know if the Novoflex EF-SL autofocus adapter also works with the Leica SL2 and SL2-S?

Or does this adapter only work with the SL (601)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

SL 601 only

it use to work on the original firmware of the SL2, but it had so many problem that if was taken off.

Novoflex discontinued the adapter.

The 'third party' lens debate is an interesting one and one I generally associate with second tier products...From my days past shooting Canon F1's, a Sigma or Vivitar lens were clearly second tier and the last thing you wanted on the front of your F1. I know Sigma has put a lot of effort into going more upscale but if I am honest, I have to admit there is still some stigma with Sigma...I am however happy that Sigma is still made in Japan and not outsourced to China!

I absolutely prefer to buy & use Leica lenses for my SL2 but if I were to buy a contemporary non-Leica lens, it would likely be from Canon. I really like their wide angle TS and will most likely buy one if Leica does not release a wide angle TS by end of next year. Canon also offer some killer super tele lenses, especially the new lightweight 600mm F4...but $12K+ for a Canon lens!