SL3 AF performance

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The reason to upgrade to SL3 is to get an improved AF system.

I have been doing some tests for photography in event low light. The SL2 was always in a weak position for this task.

Last night's black tie event, SL3 + 24-70, SF-60, iso 640  1/125s f4, assisted AF light on.
In any mode of AF, the camera had a hard time focusing in the dark, the hunting was bad and not every photo was in focus even if you give the camera time to focus.

I was hoping for this part to be fixed...

If you shoot events stick with Sony and Canon for the time being.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

What if you used no flash, and higher ISO? I don't find AFs a problem with the SL2-S at ISO up to 25,000 - as long as there's a good exposure available.

I have always had trouble, though, focusing when using flash in low light.

Edited by LocalHero1953

18 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

What if you used no flash, and higher ISO? I don't find AFs a problem with the SL2-S at ISO up to 25,000 - as long as there's a good exposure available.

I have always had trouble, though, focusing when using flash in low light.

Just tested it, on a black-and-white horizontal line poster.

The same result, even the edge is not helping. But if you turn the cama verticle or and angle it works much better..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I have been doing some tests for photography in event low light. The SL2 was always in a weak position for this task.

Last night's black tie event, SL3 + 24-70, SF-60, iso 640  1/125s f4, assisted AF light on.
In any mode of AF, the camera had a hard time focusing in the dark, the hunting was bad and not every photo was in focus even if you give the camera time to focus.

<snip>

AFC or AFS? AFS seems to focus better in low light (quick test).

P.S.: unlike other manufacturers, Leica does not specify its focus detection range in stops.

Edited by SrMi

22 minutes ago, SrMi said:

AFC or AFS? AFS seems to focus better in low light (quick test).

P.S.: unlike other manufacturers, Leica does not specify its focus detection range in stops.

i have tried all 3, iAF, AFs, AFc.

somebody said that PDAF is more active on AFc.  The Red light didn't make a difference 

I don't know! hope it can be improved a little.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I was hoping for this part to be fixed...

If you shoot events stick with Sony and Canon for the time being.

That agrees with what I’ve read in some reviews. Thanks for validating the performance of the SL3.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Anything in the spec sheet about the focusing ability in low light? Nikon Z9 can focus down to -6.5 EV and in starlight mode - 8.5 EV. 

are you saying there is an optimal situation where the z9 can do that?

more interesting is what are real life experiences!

Something would seem to be wrong with the camera setup.  The conditions described imply Exposure value of 8.    I have lot of well focussed shots with my Sl2 at EV 8.  I checked my Lightroom library.  I have well focused SL2 shots with light as dim as EV2.