3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Here is is with the 24-90 for reference. The Sonnar 150mm with its hood is of course longer.

I have been looking for a Hasselblad CF lens adapter for my SL. I have the Leica R/M and the Leica M/T  adapter.

What is the exact name of the Hasselblad to R adapter in your picture? I am trying to obtain one. In the meantime

I have to use a Zoerk Hasselblad to Nikon adapter + Nikon to R adapter + Leica R/M and Leica M/T, which seems

more difficult than necessary.

If you could assist, I would be most grateful.

Teddy

Fotodiox has some adapters from midrange (Hasselblad, Rollei, Pentax, Bronica) to Nikon or Canon. They have even an added iris mechanism. But I do not know how useful it is, as it sits not in the perfect place.

With a Nikon to L or a Canon to L adapter, the connection is complete.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/hbv-nikf-pro

Edited by steppenw0lf

Fotodiox has some adapters from midrange (Hasselblad, Rollei, Pentax, Bronica) to Nikon or Canon. They have even an added iris mechanism. But I do not know how useful it is, as it sits not in the perfect place.

With a Nikon to L or a Canon to L adapter, the connection is complete.

Can't speak to the medium format Fotodiox adapters, but I do have a Fotodiox EOS-L/M adapter and sandwich with my Leica M Adapter-T, to adapt EOS lenses to my SL.  I don't use it much at all, but as an emergency stop-gap, it works well.  Had my M 35 Summilux go down a few months back and in a pinch I used my Canon 35mm prime  on the SL.  You do need to preset the aperture using an EOS body but I've found that to be a non-issue as long as I think ahead to the aperture range I'll be using for a given environment. No AF when using this adapter, but there's no AF with my M lenses.  The adapter is well made, and quite inexpensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter today. My intention was to try all my Canon lenses (AF) and all my Zeiss lenses (MF) and report. I normally use these lenses on Canon 1D Mk IV and 1DX - where the balance of the camera-lens combination is excellent.

Findings with SL (in the order tested):

Canon 85/1.2L (original version): No AF at all. Worked fine with MF. Excellent image quality. Poor balance.

Canon 24-70/2.8L II: Quick and accurate AF when first mounted. Not as fast as on the 1DX. Excellent image quality. There was no AF at all when the camera was restarted an hour after being switched off. The camera did not fire at all despite switching the lens to manual. Removing and reattaching made no difference – remained dead. Reasonable balance. The lens functioned fine on the 1DX afterwards (I was worried I had toasted the lens!).

Canon 200/2L: Quick and accurate AF. Not as fast as on the 1DX. Excellent image quality. Extremely poor balance.

Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon: Excellent image quality. Good balance.

I gave up testing at this point - concluding that a Canon-Leica marriage is not a happy one!

I did not try the 55mm and 85mm Otus lenses; knowing they would work fine. However, since I have the M series 50/1.4 ASPH and 90/2 ASPH, there is no point in using these lenses on the SL.

Thus, I spent $770 for the privilege of using the Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon on my Leica SL!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter today. My intention was to try all my Canon lenses (AF) and all my Zeiss lenses (MF) and report. I normally use these lenses on Canon 1D Mk IV and 1DX - where the balance of the camera-lens combination is excellent.

Findings with SL (in the order tested):

Canon 85/1.2L (original version): No AF at all. Worked fine with MF. Excellent image quality. Poor balance.

Canon 24-70/2.8L II: Quick and accurate AF when first mounted. Not as fast as on the 1DX. Excellent image quality. There was no AF at all when the camera was restarted an hour after being switched off. The camera did not fire at all despite switching the lens to manual. Removing and reattaching made no difference – remained dead. Reasonable balance. The lens functioned fine on the 1DX afterwards (I was worried I had toasted the lens!).

Canon 200/2L: Quick and accurate AF. Not as fast as on the 1DX. Excellent image quality. Extremely poor balance.

Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon: Excellent image quality. Good balance.

I gave up testing at this point - concluding that a Canon-Leica marriage is not a happy one!

I did not try the 55mm and 85mm Otus lenses; knowing they would work fine. However, since I have the M series 50/1.4 ASPH and 90/2 ASPH, there is no point in using these lenses on the SL.

Thus, I spent $770 for the privilege of using the Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon on my Leica SL!

Try the following when you attach a lens. Put the lens to manual focus, then attach it to the camera, then switch on the camera, wait until it finishes its startup process and then switch the lens to AF. Check if this works with your 24-70 f2.8.

Also, I think, if you change lenses without switching off the camera it confuses the adaptor, but I have not tested that.

• Like 1

Try the following when you attach a lens. Put the lens to manual focus, then attach it to the camera, then switch on the camera, wait until it finishes its startup process and then switch the lens to AF. Check if this works with your 24-70 f2.8.

Also, I think, if you change lenses without switching off the camera it confuses the adaptor, but I have not tested that.

Tried that with the 24-70/2.8L II. No luck. AF dead. However, I could shoot in MF mode - which I could not the other day after the lens-camera combination got toasted. 

Then tried removing and reattaching the same lens with the camera on. No change in behavior. Clearly, the adapter did not need any help getting confused!

What's the best way to mount an Otus to the SL?  I know Novoflex makes an F mount adapter but I've read multiple complaints about it being very difficult to mount or remove it from the SL.  I'd hate to risk damaging the mount on my SL because of using a poorly constructed adapter.

Tried that with the 24-70/2.8L II. No luck. AF dead. However, I could shoot in MF mode - which I could not the other day after the lens-camera combination got toasted. 

Then tried removing and reattaching the same lens with the camera on. No change in behavior. Clearly, the adapter did not need any help getting confused!

Really strange behaviour.... The AF works and then it stops working... I hope they fixed it although I do not have high hopes to be honest, based on what I see in their website in terms of help and support for this adaptor...

Out of curiosity what exif info do you get for this lens? Does it identify it correctly?

What's the best way to mount an Otus to the SL?  I know Novoflex makes an F mount adapter but I've read multiple complaints about it being very difficult to mount or remove it from the SL.  I'd hate to risk damaging the mount on my SL because of using a poorly constructed adapter.

That's simply not possible. (hurting the SL)

Buy the Novoflex if you like, but the cheaper adapters work just as well.

If you want to protect the SL mount, then use the M to L adapter (official Leica product). And use a Nikon to Leica M adapter for the Otus lenses (with Nikon mount). But then you have the "infamous" adapter stack - actually this is what I am using since almost a year without a problem. And if anything is ever damaged, then it is the M to L adapter.

I assume you normally use the Otus on Canon, then the Novoflex AF adapter is recommended. If not, then I would prefer the Nikon version. (slightly smaller, maybe cheaper)

• Like 1

Really strange behaviour.... The AF works and then it stops working... I hope they fixed it although I do not have high hopes to be honest, based on what I see in their website in terms of help and support for this adaptor...

Out of curiosity what exif info do you get for this lens? Does it identify it correctly?

EXIF even stranger:

Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon - Aperture and focal length identified accurately. Lens identified as "Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 SLII Aspherical"

Canon 85/1.2L - Aperture and focal length identified accurately. Lens identified as "Canon 85mm f/1.2 or Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3"

Canon 24-70/2.8L II - Aperture, focal length and lens identified accurately.

Canon 200/2L - Aperture, focal length and lens identified accurately.

Exposure compensation identified accurately in all shots except one on the 24-70 where it showed up as "+6553". I checked EXIF data with Leica M lenses - and some of them show pretty wild numbers in the same range: +6551, +6552, +6552.3, +6552.6. M lenses were identified correctly in every picture.

Just tried the EF mount Otus 85/1.4 on the SL with the Novoflex adapter. Eye-poppingly gorgeous quality photo! Grotesque-looking contraption though - I would not be caught dead walking around with this in my hands. 

Strange EXIF again! Focal length and aperture identified accurately. However, lens identified as "Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Tried the Canon 24/1.4L II on the SL with the Novoflex adapter.

Accurate lens, focal length and aperture identification. AF worked consistently. Very well-balanced in terms of handling.

A combination that looks acceptable cosmetically! Good to find a second lens I can use with the adapter...

Have you tried the EF 1.8/50 STM ? It looks even more acceptable and works quite well (quiet and unobtrusive).

It is for me the small AF lens needed from time to time.    ;)

No - don't have it. I am fiftied/normaled out - with a Canon 50/1.4 USM (bought when I got my first Canon DSLR in 2003), 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH (bought when I got a Leica M9-P in 2012), and Otus 55/1.4 (bought in a moment of madness when it was released).

However, inspired by your question, did try the 50/1.4. Camera tries to AF, but nails focus perhaps 1 time in 10! Utterly useless.

Need to think about returning the adapter to salvage $799!

The 1.8/50 STM costs only 100$ and works well with AF. The "nifty-fifty". Optically it is not extraordinary, but acceptable. (like many slow 50mm)  http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.8-STM-Lens.aspx

And it is a nice "change" to have a small AF lens. It is the only prime I have for the 5Ds and I like it (small and reliable and always in the bag).

Edited by steppenw0lf

An attack of doubt after carefully packing the adapter for return to B&H! So much for the cast die!

There is a good reason for doubt, which I will describe. Comments will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to Africa (Amboseli, Kenya) in March with Canon gear and family. Trip #5 in 6 years. 1DX bodies and some lenses (24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 200/2L, 200-400/4L, 400/4 DO V1). I am not totally crazy - my son also takes photos (aranmehta.com) and is strong enough to use the 200-400!

This time, I am keen on obtaining some pictures that can be enlarged to a good size (40" x 60"; may be even 60" x 90"). Some of what I envisage for these enlargements can be done with normal and medium telephoto lenses.

Which of the following options would people consider reasonable?

1. Buy a Canon 5DS R and return the Novoflex adapter

- 1a: with the 2 Otus lenses I have - 55 and 85.

- 1b: forget the Otus lenses).

The major advantages are the ability to use the 5DS R with all the lenses and the supposedly excellent IQ of the 5DS R.

2. Take along the SL with the Novoflex adapter and the 2 Otus lenses (55 and 85).

The major advantages are not spending money on a 5DS R, the ability to focus the Otus lenses well with the SL EVF, the superb IQ of the SL, and the ability to use some of the other Canon lenses on the SL. 

3. Take along the SL with the Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH and the Apo-Summicron 90/2 ASPH. Return the Novoflex adapter.

The major advantages are not spending money on a 5DS R, a lighter kit (compared to the Otuses), and the SL IQ.

4. Forget the SL and the non-existent 5DS R - and rent (or buy) a Hasselblad X1D with a couple of lenses. Return the Novoflex adapter.

The disadvantages are that the X1D availability dates are uncertain, I am totally unfamiliar with the camera, and there will be no interaction with the Canon system at all. The obvious advantage is the large sensor.

I have the 5Ds (I do not need the R) and the EF 100-400 II for "safari" (plus 1.4x extender). It is an excellent combination in my experience - but I was never in africa with it. This equipment is much cheaper and lighter than yours. And still quite "agile" (in a jeep or on a truck). I am quite happy with it.   this is A

I would add a WATE (16-18-21, but extremely small), a Noctilux and a Apo Macro Elmarit-R 100, maybe also a small M 28mm. That's it. Sorry, and the SL, not to forget. Or an R 60 macro if the Nocti is too expensive.

Leave the big Canon lens always on the 5Ds. Use the SL for everything else. (people, landscape, macro)   this is B

You could also take the SL plus 24-90. It is not to my taste, but a practical combination, as you never have to switch lenses.

So this is an alternative for B

In my opinion simply forget the X1D for safari. But if you insist ....     :)

With A and B you are ready for almost anything. And if one camera fails (very unlikely but who knows, batteries getting too hot maybe), you still have the other to continue ...

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

• jaapv unpinned this topic