New Leica M in September 2016? The speculations.

Paulus

My wish list:

1. thinner,
  2. lighter,
  3. faster,
  4. minimal and
  5. with a QuantumFilm sensor or something else that solves the blown pixel problem of digital. 

Interesting... It seems QuantumFilm stuff is more for smartphone than a premier imaging device. Just read few blogs and I could be way off. Fascinating... as Spock would have said. :)

Since as consumers we deserve no less, I wish that  the new Leica have a:

- Better...

- Even better...

- Larger...

- Smaller...

- Improved...

- Even more...

- Even less...

The Kravitz version should be:

- More expensive

- Less paint

The camera will obviously disappoint everyone, so the waiting period will be only 2 years. In the meantime, I will be happy with my Safari.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, Exodies, I'm pretty sure that is the long-term future of digital sensor technology.  Eventually there might not even be a shutter closure: after hitting the shutter open button, you just continuously read out photon absorption rates for each pixel, so there would be no need for the 'X' control.  'Exposure' would basically be a tone-mapping decision at the post-processing stage.

Please,.....4K, HDMI, 4-2-2, and 10 bit out....So, we can use it in combo with the SL.  Both cameras could send signal to  and external monitor or record to a Shogun or Q7.

Ciao,  Sully

Edited by Sully

Please also make a new camera the same size as the MP film camera with the absolute minimum set of digital features.

I think there is a good case for a 'more' M camera and a 'less' M camera - but I don't know if Leica can divide M resources to make both happen.

In some ways the SL would be a better 'more' platform and the M the 'less' platform.

However realistically a tweaked M-P / M.240 seems most likely.

Agree higher ISO is a priority

Please don't make it as 'less' as the M9. The M240 is as 'less' as a camera worthy of the title 'digital camera' can be.

That is except well.... please remove the video feature.

Edited by Mornnb

As far as I can tell, the video feature doesn't compromise the camera's stills performance in any way whatsoever.

So calls for its removal seem to be more to do with ideology than anything concerning photographic performance.  If we want to get into a new M designed on ideological grounds, fine, but maybe we should then start from scratch, no?

• Like 4

As far as I can tell, the video feature doesn't compromise the camera's stills performance in any way whatsoever.

So calls for its removal seem to be more to do with ideology than anything concerning photographic performance.  If we want to get into a new M designed on ideological grounds, fine, but maybe we should then start from scratch, no?

Absolutely agree, load it with latest electronic technology and keep good old ORF, it exists in 2015 for a reason not for a nostalgia sake.

Leica ideology and dogma is behind every technically unfeasible request like size and weight of next M.  Having digital  body thinner than film M is not going to happen, I know that (Engineer by training).  As for weight I think it is perfect, any lighter and it would need adding ballast weights.  

Smaller battery? Definitely not, any one wanting smaller and lighter is welcome to Sony.

• Like 1

Interesting... It seems QuantumFilm stuff is more for smartphone than a premier imaging device. Just read few blogs and I could be way off.

These days, all the innovations in sensor technology premiere in smartphone camera modules, i.e. tiny sensor sizes. Eventually the new technologies trickle down (or up if you prefer) to affect larger sensors.

• Like 4

QuantumFilm looks very promising, exactly what I look for in the new sensor, higher ISO, more dynamic range and a global shutter i.e. parallel read out. 
"Only" two things are left, when would Leica adopt it (if ever), and how it would cut off IR light. 

Edited by mirekti
  • Like 1