Leica 28mm Summicron ASPH 2016 #11672-- Owners Thread

stump4545

This has been the general view, I think. The 35 asph was often reported to have some mild focus shift, which was greatly lessened by the FLE: check me on this if I'm mistaken.

You're confusing the 35 Summicron ASPH with the earlier version of the 35 Summilux ASPH, the latter being the lens updated with an FLE version.

Jeff

Any owner's of the new 2016 28mm Summcron find any upgrades to the prior 28mm cron asph?

Just a spiffier metal lens hood?

I'm not convinced by the screw-in hood. As a film Leica user with an encrypted lens hood habit, a screw-in hood would be a massive hindrance when I need to change filters as I frequently do. The great thing about any Leica lens revision is that the used market suddenly becomes more interesting as GAS victims and others with money burning holes in their pockets fall over themselves to dump the previous version for the latest marvel. I've just picked up a late version 11604 with all original packaging and paperwork and which has no signs of being used and no 'front-end wobble' for less than a third of the usual rrp. It's a lens I've wanted for a long time, but could not justify paying the full cost.

Hopefully, Leica will 'upgrade' the 50mm f2 summicron AA soon...... ;)

Edited by honcho
  • Like 2

Is the new 28mm summicron much smaller with metal hood then previous 28mm cron  with big plastic hood?

weight is the same?

My impression is the lens is the same size but the hood differs: now it's like the SEM 21 hood. However there are lots of different hoods which can go on the old 28 cron, including I think the 35 ASPH hood. For filter use the new 2016 hood must unscrew and then re-screw over the top of the filter, while the old hood and the 35 asph hood are clip ons which are WAY simpler to use with filters. The old plastic hood is not so bad, and very light.

I don't use alot of filters myself, and actually I'd bet most shoot their 28 crons without any filters.

Maybe money is no object for the OP, but the price difference between the 2016 and a perfect used older cron is around 2000USD! It may be all you would gain is focus shift LOL

Edited by uhoh7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just tested old versus new. Could not find any focus shift with either one. The far sides and corners are much better in the new one. Hood is also nice. However, worth to pay that much for better sides open? Not sure. At 4 or 5.6 I can't tell the difference. 

• Like 3

I sold my old 28asph to make my m9 possible coming from an M8. I had about 7 years of regret in which I have judged 3 or 4 occasions, which did not convince be completely re back- or frontfocus, not certain. When I tried the new one, I was struck by its conciseness compared to the old one, which really has a very bulky hood, which is a real problem in and outside your camerabag. 

The captures I made with it, got me over the hill because the focus was so spot on in every slow or fast shooting situation that I couldn't resist. I would not have bought it if I still had the old one however. There are other ways; you can use the 35lux hood on the old one too, which helps

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Hey, had the opportunity to compare on M240 and a7r II. On the latter one you get sharp sides at f4. At least I found them OK. Difference is also apparent on M240. But you have to decide whether that is worth the effort and money.

Edited by apertur
  • Like 1

Just tested old versus new. Could not find any focus shift with either one. The far sides and corners are much better in the new one. Hood is also nice. However, worth to pay that much for better sides open? Not sure. At 4 or 5.6 I can't tell the difference.

Edges are better but you can't tell the difference at F/4? So you mean the edges are better WO and at 2.8 but past that it's the same?

Edges are better but you can't tell the difference at F/4? So you mean the edges are better WO and at 2.8 but past that it's the same?

By f 4 the difference is gone - so old and new look the same. Below f 4 the difference is clear (old has soft sides, new delivers sharp sides) . Is that clearer?

Edited by apertur
  • Like 2

Thanks, but on which camera ?

@stump45:

Every lens needs a hood and every lens can be driven to flare, although this is more difficult with the 28asph than with others, old or new. 

Edited by otto.f