Noob question - Thumbs Up, M240 Grip or both?

Rand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New M240 owner here. I have small hands and would like a better grip on my M.

Wondering which is best - Thumbs Up, grip or both? I think if I went Thumbs Up I would eventually run across a M240 w/grip and think I should have gone that route instead. Or vice-versa :)

Any feed back, especially someone who uses both would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I went with the Really Right Stuff grip, plate and L bracket. Less expensive than the grip and allows use in my Arca-Swiss style tripod ball heads.

If the OP, Rand, finds the given body too big for his hands, then the RRS grip will likely make his situation much worse. It is big, and one reason I use it because I have XX long fingers.

My recommendation would be to get the Thumbs Up.

I don't use or care for either a thumbs up or a grip. The M240 is already bloated compared to a film M. Add more bloat and I might as well use my 5D. The M240 is comfortable for me either nekkid or with the Leica bottom half case (which thankfully does not have a pronounced grip added, one reason I went with it rather than another make).

I don't have baby hands but they're not really large or long fingers either. And unless one is shooting zone-focused, the M is a 2-handed camera. Even if I shoot zone focused one-handed I still feel no need for any added gimmickery. YMMV.

I went with the Really Right Stuff grip, plate and L bracket. Less expensive than the grip and allows use in my Arca-Swiss style tripod ball heads.

I have one on the way - i bought it for the A/S functionality as i use a tripod a bit for landscapes - having XXXXL sized hands, fitting me better is a side benefit

I Use the "Thumbie" made by Steve Barnett (barnet@globalnet.co.uk) on my M(240). Gives a better grip than your M´s thumb rest, does not interfere with the "Flash unit shoe" and is not as big as the Handgrip. Recommended!

Thorsten Overgaard shows you this on his Leica M page 34, "Sexy stuff..."

http://www.overgaard.dk/thorstenovergaardcom_copyrighted_graphics/Thumbie_M_240_103-640w.jpg

I vote for neither... To me the M body (film) is just about perfect. The M240 although a little thicker fits really nice as well.

I've tried the Thunbs Up on my M4-P and really didn't like it. It just gets in the way of winding on film and it often got caught in my travel vest.

I know you don't have the film wind issue with the M240 but it would still be there.

My recommendation would be to get the Thumbs Up.

+1. I have one on both my M8.2 and M240 and this accessory became necessary for me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I vote for neither... To me the M body (film) is just about perfect. The M240 although a little thicker fits really nice as well.

I've tried the Thunbs Up on my M4-P and really didn't like it. It just gets in the way of winding on film and it often got caught in my travel vest.

I know you don't have the film wind issue with the M240 but it would still be there.

Completely agree - naked is best. When I'm working I typically have two bodies with lenses attached + 3 or 4 stacked lenses all in a small Domke satchel. Any additional thumbies / grips makes the camera too bulky and prone to snag. It's a bit the same as the strap issue. Leica's invested a great deal of thought in the basic design and we've spend some money buying the kit. Why spend more on something that doesn't (IMHO) improve the functionality of a tool that's pretty damn functional. It's a bit like hanging furry dice in the window of a Landrover Defender...

Just my 2c!

Why would you use the thumbsup on an M4P ?

The thumbsup is supposed to mimic the film lever being left "out" as a thumbrest

Welcome to the OP.

The variety of replies shows how diverse we are as photographers. In my case, for several years I have suffered from occasional arthritis in my wrists. It can strike me without warning. So for some time my M-cameras have all had the appropriate Leica hand-grip fitted from new. For the same reason, for security (not wanting to drop the kit) I use a neck-strap. With the M-P I use the non-GPS hand-grip with considerable satisfaction. It is an excellent design with a flat platform for the finger tips.

Contrary to some views, the grip does not add significantly to the bulk, whereas the lens does in most cases. We are not talking about a 'pocket' camera here. In my experience, my camera would be more vulnerable to camera shake or worse without both strap and grip fitted. The answer is to try one in a Leica dealer's shop.

I bought, and subsequently returned, the Leica M grip. I liked the way it felt in the hand as far as the grip, but I was hugely put off by how plasticky it was. I mean for something that was $270 I would expect something more sturdy with less flex. If it was $100 I would have been totally fine with it.

I wound up returning it and purchasing the RRS grip / l-bracket instead because I use the arca system anyways, and the grip was comfortable enough.

I typically just use the camera with no attachments though.

+1. I have one on both my M8.2 and M240 and this accessory became necessary for me.

Before I commit to the 240 can someone confirm that the short version of the Thumbs Up as shown in your image will suit the m240. Mine has the additional viewfinder mount. Thanks.

I used the thumbs up for around 6 months and it does give good support. But it digs in to my side in the summertime, when Im just wearing a tshirt, so it took it off and now I just use the camera as it is and actually prefer that now!!!???

Thanks all for the feedback.

I must have had a "senior moment" when I made my original post. Hate getting old :(

I use the EVF a lot since I live in the gloomy NW, USA, have bad vision and shoot a lot of architecture! So M grip is what I will go with. Should have figured that out myself.

For the folks that think the M should be used naked - you obviously have no arthritis, no bad vision, no small hands and you must have the strength of Hercules.

For the folks that thinks Leica "knows all" I say - piffle!

Last time I had a camera that needed the bottom plate removed was my old Nikon F in 1969.

Hey Leica, it's the TWENTY FIRST Century.

No connector for off shoe flash?

Please, don't say use the $800 overpriced grip that should not be needed in the first place.

One of my first digital cameras - Canon D30 (2001) had an adjustable diopter viewfinder. My M240 does not.

Cheap nylon strap usually seen on cheap Japanese cameras on a $7000+ camera?

I could go on, but I'll stop here. And considering that this is Leica's THIRD major digital product, this is mind boggling.

Again, sorry for the senior moment :)

• Like 1

Rand - Congratulations on the new M. Size 8 hands here with some neck/shoulder and median nerve issues. I did not care for the Leica grip nor their finger loops. For me the RRS grip is better. My favorite grip is the one from lance6881888 on eBay. It is a cylindrical grip like the M8/M9 grip that allows you to safely hang the camera from your fingers with a wrist strap when you are not shooting. The grip may alter the way you hold the camera enough that you may want to try a soft release.

A Thumbs Up works well with a grip. Bear in mind you use your forearm muscles differently with a grip than the bare camera. I feel fortunate that my strength has increased and the M 240 is large enough that I have been able to transition to only using a piece of 3M Safety Grip tape to the right of the Leica logo and extending up the built in thumb rest. This allows the camera to rest on my side with a 46" strap without a Thumbs Up digging into my side.

Hope this is helpful. You may need to try more than one to find the best option. Make sure there is a good return policy.