Thumb rests

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m considering buying a thumb rest for my new-to-me M262, actually a”thumbie” designed and made by Steve Barnett - but do I really need one? Or am I just being a wimp?

Anyone familiar with the Fuji XPro 1 will know there is a bit more to hang on to and over the years I have used this camera, grip was never an issue. Now, when shooting with the Leica I am not conscious of having a lack of confidence in my ability to hold it. It is only afterwards when I pick up the camera to change the battery or for something else that I start to think about whether the thumb “bump” is enough!

What I really want to know is, will fitting a thumb rest make a genuine and positive contribution to my shooting experience and ultimately to making better pictures?

Please let me know of your own experiences and whether the grip of your right hand was an issue and what you decided to do about it.

I look forward to your comments.

The M Types 240/246/262 have a smaller integral thumb rest than M10 and later digital M cameras. That integral thumb rest is located high, on the camera body. The Thumbie addresses that. What’s not to like? 🙂 Do what works for your individual hands. If your right thumb contributes to the stability of your holding the camera, your images may well improve. Stability helps to prevent motion-induced blur. A comfortable grip, on the camera, will postpone or mitigate fatigue in the muscles of one’s hands.

I do not use add-on thumb rests, but, I do favor using reasonable ergonomic upgrades and accessories, in general, be it photography, or another activity. To enhance my grip on a Type 246 body, I personally prefer using lenses that have some amount of comfortable gripping surface, for my fingers, to enhance the ability of my left hand to grasp and support the camera/lens combination. (I did not start using the M system until after arthritis, in my right hand and thumb, had become a noticeable issue, so, I have worked around that, preferring to keep my right thumb relatively straight and relaxed, while shooting, as much as is practicable. Improvise, and adapt!)

I have installed the Thumbie on both my M9 and M-P(240). I had Thumbs-Up on both before, but much prefer the Thumbie. The block paint on the Thumbie disappears fairly quickly leaving the brass showing. They come with extra tape in case you decide to remove and re-install at later time. And, the Thumbie allows you to use the shoe on the camera  for either an accessory viewer or EVF, or flash.

• Like 2

Well… On the basis that form follows function in good design, that if a significant number of Leica M users had to resort to an additional after market thumb rest, then Leica would have fixed the problem years ago. So, is the current design problematic for a significant number of users? My view is probably not.

What attracted me to Leica was its aesthetic and pared down approach to photography and so while I find using my M 262 a little awkward I am reluctant to add something to the camera that wasn’t there by design in the first place. I have only had the pleasure of using it for a few weeks and so assume that the problem (if there is one) is to do with me not the camera and that I should persevere until I become accustomed to using it rather than jumping in with an assumption that it is the camera itself that is flawed.

I am also a practical person and if using the camera in its naked form remains awkward for me then I will look to finding a solution. Hence my post. I would like to borrow from the experiences of the many others that have gone before me and any contributions will help me to understand what I am dealing with and help shape my response. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

The M Types 240/246/262 have a smaller integral thumb rest than M10 and later digital M cameras. That integral thumb rest is located high, on the camera body. The Thumbie addresses that. What’s not to like? 🙂 Do what works for your individual hands. If your right thumb contributes to the stability of your holding the camera, your images may well improve. Stability helps to prevent motion-induced blur. A comfortable grip, on the camera, will postpone or mitigate fatigue in the muscles of one’s hands.

I do not use add-on thumb rests, but, I do favor using reasonable ergonomic upgrades and accessories, in general, be it photography, or another activity. To enhance my grip on a Type 246 body, I personally prefer using lenses that have some amount of comfortable gripping surface, for my fingers, to enhance the ability of my left hand to grasp and support the camera/lens combination. (I did not start using the M system until after arthritis, in my right hand and thumb, had become a noticeable issue, so, I have worked around that, preferring to keep my right thumb relatively straight and relaxed, while shooting, as much as is practicable. Improvise, and adapt!)

Thank you RexGigO, that was helpful. I already feel less guilty about considering what amounts to an adaptation to my camera and for the very solid purpose of the possibility of better images. Surely that’s what it’s all about?

• Like 1

The thumb rest on 35mm-style cameras goes back to film days: you would advance the film and cock the shutter and keep your thumb on the advance lever, take the shot an advance the film again. It became a useful habit on such cameras. There was no place or need for a thumb rest on other types of cameras.

11 hours ago, 3dogs2many said:

Well… On the basis that form follows function in good design, that if a significant number of Leica M users had to resort to an additional after market thumb rest, then Leica would have fixed the problem years ago. So, is the current design problematic for a significant number of users? My view is probably not.

Not really.
I use the thumb rest used on my M8 and my M9 but I could shoot perfectly without. It is the way I like to carry my Ms when not shooting that requires some extra grip. I do not like the traditional neck strap way when walking around with it...

Often, I just use a wrist strap and carry it with my right hand only, hanging in vertical position at my side with my hand grip ready to shoot. If you need to do this for longer periods the thumb rest or a grip in front is much more comfortable for your fingers. The thumb rest adds less thickness than the grip and is almost as effective for this purpose, so I prefer using that, and then put the camera in my pocket when I do not need to have it ready to shoot in an instant.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, 3dogs2many said:

but do I really need one?

Yes, it is really functional for longer and heavier lenses. When I’m going out for something serious and goal-oriented I put on the thumb rest and the 1.40 loupe. Sharper photo’s.

Edited by otto.f

Do you need it?... No. 

Is it expensive?... The Leica ones are.

Is it worth having?... Well that's entirely up to you.

From personal experience, I bought a used Leica one from my local store and I like it a lot more than I thought I would and it lives happily and permanently mounted to my camera.

I've also seen the Leica one up close against some of the aftermarket versions and it does feel a lot nicer, heavier and of better quality. Used ones in good condition are relatively rare. Last point from me... Would I buy one for full price new from Leica?... er, No. I paid less than half price for a mint used one and that seems just about right to me.

Hope that helps and enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Since the M8.2, i have the feeling that my digital Ms are gliding as soapbars in my hands so thumb grips are mandatory for me. I've used Leica's and Match Technical's on M8.2 & M240 and lately a Thumbie on the M11 for when i use a Visoflex 2 in the hotshoe. Works fine, in fact better than i expected as i don't rely on sticky accessories generally, its only drawback is the black paint that peals off too easily. I've totally removed the black paint on mine so it is now pure brass.

• Like 1

As a long-time film shooter, I am used to having my thumb on a film advance lever.  But I can't get excited about a faux one.  The only time I feel the need for extra grip on my digital M bodies is when I mount my SF-58 flash or a heavy fast lens. Then I will add the Leica grip, which adds little additional weight and gives me something like what I have on my SL bodies. 

15 hours ago, lct said:

lately a Thumbie on the M11 for when i use a Visoflex 2 in the hotshoe. Works fine, in fact better than i expected as i don't rely on sticky accessories generally, its only drawback is the black paint that peals off too easily. I've totally removed the black paint on mine so it is now pure brass.

I couldn't get the tape to stick to the paint on my M11. I had no problems with any of the other camera finishes.

21 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

I couldn't get the tape to stick to the paint on my M11. I had no problems with any of the other camera finishes.

I don't use black paint cameras sorry.

• Like 1