Thumb grip...at last a good one!

On 1/1/2023 at 8:54 PM, Genoweffa said:

Hi…anyone with haoge thumb rest…can you pls post pic with it on your q2..thanks

I've had the Haoge for a couple of months now and find it a great help. Caution if you use flash. This fits very tight and it would not be convenient if you have to take it on and off regularly. I never use flash with my Q2 and would not want to go back to not having the thumb grip.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 11:08 PM, Farrell Gallery said:

I don't understand the need for one. 

Wait.  Am I still in the Leica forum or did I wander off somewhere else?  Somehow "need" and Leica just don't mix. 😉

I suppose want might be more appropriate and that would be for the ergonomic reasons that many of us were accustomed to when cameras had a film advance lever...just gives us a bit more to hold.  Myself, I'll also use a half-case with a grip in the front.  But it's all about personal choice and what works for the photographer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roy88 said:

I've had the Haoge for a couple of months now and find it a great help. Caution if you use flash. This fits very tight and it would not be convenient if you have to take it on and off regularly. I never use flash with my Q2 and would not want to go back to not having the thumb grip.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for the reply.

I bought JJC brand. Looks like Haoge protrudes more and has similar thumb rest like what I have on my SL2 (Matchtech.)

When you say, tight fit...do you actually have to grab it with some tool to slide it off?

I do have Leica grip...so I am still playing/trying different options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

Wait.  Am I still in the Leica forum or did I wander off somewhere else?  Somehow "need" and Leica just don't mix. 😉

I suppose want might be more appropriate and that would be for the ergonomic reasons that many of us were accustomed to when cameras had a film advance lever...just gives us a bit more to hold.  Myself, I'll also use a half-case with a grip in the front.  But it's all about personal choice and what works for the photographer.

Ah! All are fair points 😉

On 1/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, Genoweffa said:

Thanks for the reply.

I bought JJC brand. Looks like Haoge protrudes more and has similar thumb rest like what I have on my SL2 (Matchtech.)

When you say, tight fit...do you actually have to grab it with some tool to slide it off?

I do have Leica grip...so I am still playing/trying different options

I don't need a tool to remove it, but it does take quite a push with my thumb to get it to slide out. If I had to do it five times in a row my thumb would probably get too sore to keep at it.

Edited by Roy88
  • Thanks 1

The Haoge is very similar to the Matchtech in shape at the thumb rest. I find that profile fits me better than the flatter style. My grip is the JJC, and it's really both combined that make it a comfortable and secure hold for me. Everyone's hands are different sizes and shapes, so different solutions will fit different people.

26 minutes ago, Roy88 said:

The Haoge is very similar to the Matchtech in shape at the thumb rest. I find that profile fits me better than the flatter style. My grip is the JJC, and it's really both combined that make it a comfortable and secure hold for me. Everyone's hands are different sizes and shapes, so different solutions will fit different people.

Agree...well...I bought the flatter one by JJC...Haoge sort of flares up (if this the right word). I like the one I have on SL2.

As I mentioned, trying different options to minimize the already minimal wt of Q2M ;)  

Well I have the itch for the Haoge one...which means that I will have an extra thumb rest...wait....oh....good excuse to get Q2 regular

Edited by Genoweffa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 12:44 AM, Genoweffa said:

For those interested...

There is another thumb rest that is identical to Haoge...it sells under 'Akirood' name...less $ than Haoge. Fits perfectly on Q2.

What was your experience taking the Haoge on/off? Easy without damage? 

• 2 months later...