Thumb grip...at last a good one!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Leica grip and finger loop and for the extra bit of security, I wanted a thumb grip....I baulked at the prices and tried a chinese one...well it didn't fit as clearly designed for the Q and not Q2.

Thankfully the seller told me he was sending a proper Q2 one.....it has just arrived and WOW...perfect and $20 !   even easy to reach the crop button   

they appear regularly on amazon under the JJC brand but make surw it is the TA-Q2 version....here is mine!    

ok ok its not 'hand crafted in wetzlar' but it works perfectly for me as does the wee bit of sticky velcro on the lenscap to stop it falling offf.......these beasties are for using, not babying!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Maybe so Jaap but I never use flash and unlike some other cheap ones , it is a good fit in the hotshoe without any securing grub screws etc 

surely all the thumbs up, match technical and even leica ones are the same

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used the original Leica thumb rest for a long time (and partly the original grip with loop), but in the meantime I do without it completely. My Half Case from Artisan& Artist gives me enough grip and my camera is smaller and lighter. 

For the Q1 I only used a thumb rest so that the diopter correction does not alter. But with the Q2 that is no longer necessary.

20 hours ago, johntobias said:

Maybe so Jaap but I never use flash and unlike some other cheap ones , it is a good fit in the hotshoe without any securing grub screws etc 

surely all the thumbs up, match technical and even leica ones are the same

Indeed they are, reason I use a Thumbie on my cameras.

• Like 1

Hello,
I have also been using the JJC Ta-Q2 (25 €) for several months after using the Leica TU (200 €) and I am completely satisfied with it.
The price is very poor and the quality almost equivalent (Aluminium) 
Using the button (exposure memo for me) is even easier and more comfortable than with the original Leica TU.
As for the hot shoe, I don't use a flash, so ...no problem ...
Edited by francipaq
  • Like 1

I just received the latest model from TU MATCH TECHNICAL for Leica Q2 (Ref EP-LQ2). 
It is a model identical to that intended for the Leica Q (EP-SQ), with the difference that it is cut out for easier access to the control button. 
After a test, I can confirm that it is very comfortable and really facilitates the handling of the case. 
So far this is the best I have ever used

Edited by francipaq
  • Like 5

• 7 months later...

I just picked up the JJC thanks to recommendations here.  For the price, I think it would be hard to beat. It fits well, has button access, and looks solid. I will say that it has a harder, sharper edge that is still throwing me as the Q2 has otherwise been all curves in my hands.  It's jumping out on me the first day, but will likely recede with time (and....$30).  Thanks for shining a light on it and saving me some money.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have one of these for my Q and it's great...good workmanship and finish, no slop at all.

I will pay what I have to for Leica cameras and glass...they are the best IMO...but their accessories sometimes border on the ridiculous.

I wanted a 1/2 case for my Q...over $300 (Canadian $)...found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078YPQ8S7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend of mine bought the Leica version and he has regretted it once he saw mine...leather looks of comparable quality, and whats more he has to remove the case when he wants to remove the battery or memory card...mine has a nice little flap that drops down.  It does appear Leica has added this to the Q2 case.

It's like close to 1/10 the price.

Found another one at strangely low price...no ratings, no comments by existing buyers..

Fake?

It claims to fit Q1/Q2....do they have exactly same bodies?

Edited by Genoweffa

I bought the thumb brace from Amazon and have been on the Q2 ever since.
Fits well and the Zoom/Lock-Button is reasonably easy to access. 
Can only recommend the part.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, bobtodrick said:

I have one of these for my Q and it's great...good workmanship and finish, no slop at all.

I will pay what I have to for Leica cameras and glass...they are the best IMO...but their accessories sometimes border on the ridiculous.

I wanted a 1/2 case for my Q...over $300 (Canadian $)...found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078YPQ8S7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend of mine bought the Leica version and he has regretted it once he saw mine...leather looks of comparable quality, and whats more he has to remove the case when he wants to remove the battery or memory card...mine has a nice little flap that drops down.  It does appear Leica has added this to the Q2 case.

It's like close to 1/10 the price.

You have this JJC one for your Q1? I also have a Q but it looks like Amazon only has the Q2 version. Does the Q2 version fit the Q perfectly?

2 hours ago, yjt said:

You have this JJC one for your Q1? I also have a Q but it looks like Amazon only has the Q2 version. Does the Q2 version fit the Q perfectly?

From what I understand the Q and Q2 thumb grips are not interchangeable.

This is the one I have…great quality and fits the Q perfectly 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07DGJWV1C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

• 1 month later...