I love my M-A

8 minutes ago, kivis said:

Leica's website shows the M-A with the slotted release button.

I saw that. I believe the M2/M3/M4 had slotted release buttons so maybe it's an attempt to more closely resemble those cameras.  Or maybe someone at the factory found some old slotted buttons in the Leica parts bin and decided to use them 😉

Edited by logan2z

On 2/9/2022 at 7:08 AM, kivis said:

We've all noticed by now that some M-A's have a slotted lens release button and others like mine have a smooth silver button for the lens release. What gives?

Both my M-A bodies from 2015 have the "slotted" screwhead version. I'm pretty sure the MP bodies I owned also had a screwhead lens release. I think the plain flat button is/was a feature of the more utilitarian aesthetic adopted for the M6/M7 and carried over to the black chrome M-A. Presumably the silver chrome M-A still has the slotted version?

Edited by wattsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Strange, even the "R" is not filled white ink.

I've been in the website to see if there are other changes, if there is engravings on the top, etc., not been able to see though.

The slotted release may be chosen for easier manufactoring ?

If I remember well, in ancient Leica website, the black M-A had the round lever as chrome M-A but on mine black M-A has the square angle R lever.

We discussed this many years ago.

Edited by a.noctilux

3 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Strange, even the "R" is not filled white ink.

I've been in the website to see if there are other changes, if there is engravings on the top, etc., not been able to see though.

yes you are right. My M-A has the R in white ink (paint).

I remember seeing a while back, on plain paper black M-A without white paint filling in "R"

and slotted lens release button.

After searching for a while,

- found in 2014 catalog in french with surprise to see also the round R lever (MP style), pages 40-41

- at page 2 of same catalog, black M-A showed with white R filling AND flat lens release button !

- same in 2017 catalog pages 48-49 and 14-15

so we can conclude that shootings of M-A on paper or on line can be different from real delivered M-A

10 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Interesting

Is it black ?

We are talking about black M-A with slotted lens release.

Hm, JMF link was for the silver one so I must have missed the 20-30 posts about you guys talking about black versions. :) 

Mine is silver chrome, sorry.

13 hours ago, kivis said:

And the mystery continues.........

I'm not sure there is much of a mystery. The production black chrome M-A (like the M6 and M7 before it) has a plain lens release. The silver M-A (like the MP and older bodies from the '50s and '60s) has the screwhead version. The black M-A that appears in the stock photos used on the website (and probably elsewhere) seems to be an outlier and is probably some kind of pre-production prototype. My own "black" M-A, made in 2015, does have a screwhead style lens release but that camera was not a regular production model.

• Like 1