I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The fact that most lenses are black anodised is what puts me off a black chrome or black paint Leica. I’d just hate the fact that they don’t quite match, so would rather have a silver chrome camera as it’ll either match a silver chrome lens or not match any other finish at all. This is all despite that fact that I tend t prefer black cameras…

Does this get to anyone else or is it just me?

3 hours ago, waltron said:

The fact that most lenses are black anodised is what puts me off a black chrome or black paint Leica. I’d just hate the fact that they don’t quite match, so would rather have a silver chrome camera as it’ll either match a silver chrome lens or not match any other finish at all. This is all despite that fact that I tend t prefer black cameras…

It’s not me, but that doesn’t mean it’s just you, although it seems plausible. 

It’s a camera, not a piece of jewellery. In any case, have you actually mounted a black anodised lens on a black paint or black chrome Leica? You might be surprised how nicely it does match, if that really matters. 

I see that for so many people, Leica gear is kind of expensive jewellery.

That is good for us humble users to maintain the market.

Most of time, I don't worry about "matching" or even "finishing" of those "expensive gear".

I understand that for so many people "matching/finishing" is a must for such expensive/ de luxe articles.

For me, these are only tools to create pictures, that is my way of seeing these articles.

Tools need to be used and as such tend to become "used", so finish is not important in the end.

Years ago when I saw how "used" M4 could become, I was happy that my M are 'like new", image of ...

seen here in post 2 x used M4

Thanks for the responses. Probably just me then!

To clarify, it’s not really about the fact that it’s jewellery or how it looks to other people, it’s more the fact that the finishes are so close, and yet not the same that really gets to me. My daily (and I do mean daily) shooter is a silver ma with a black chrome summicron, so I really do love a mismatch! It’s just always bugged me and feels like a design oversight for a company that are generally so good on design!

• Like 1

@walton

if you want to ...

You can match (sort of, not the same hue though) your silver M-A with silver lenses that can be old or new (silver anodized ?).

like here for old 50mm Summicron ( not same silver hue ), not bad

DR is another choice possible

other examples , like 35mm

or old Summilux 50 can do

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/17/2021 at 3:07 PM, Guest JMF said:

The MP and M-A parts are compatible, here is another iphone shot:

Anyone know where I can get a flash shoe cover like the one on the camera body on the lower part of this picture?

1 hour ago, kivis said:

Anyone know where I can get a flash shoe cover like the one on the camera body on the lower part of this picture?

Just did a quick search on the internet and this one looks really close, if not identical.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338026-REG/match_technical_leica_cap_leica_hot_shoe_cap.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

Just did a quick search on the internet and this one looks really close, if not identical.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338026-REG/match_technical_leica_cap_leica_hot_shoe_cap.html

It might be the same as I did buy some items from  Match Technical.

Edited by JMF

3 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

Yes, it looks the same. I bought it from B&H this January for my M3. It looks nice and fits very well.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, waltron said:

I prefer silver chrome bodies because almost any lens material/color will look good on it (matching chrome silver or any contrasting black, anodised silver a little bit less :)).. and I want to be able to choose/buy any lens I like because of how it draws and not how it looks.

Yes, it is a tool, but I want to like the tool I'm using.. because if I like how it looks I will definitely take it with me more often.. which will result in more photo opportunities. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, waltron said:

The silver Leica lenses do not match the silver Leica bodies either.  

15 hours ago, Huss said:

The silver Leica lenses do not match the silver Leica bodies either.  

Not entirely true.

Silver chrome lenses match perfectly silver chrome bodies. 
Silver anodized lenses do not match silver chrome bodies.

5 minutes ago, junix said:

Not entirely true.

Exactly.

a M2/3 matches perfectly with any and all silver lenses of the era. 
Same with Barnacks, they all match with the era lenses. Summaron, summarit, Hektors, Summicron...

PERFECT MATCHES.

Edited by Capuccino-Muffin

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, junix said:

Not entirely true.

Link to an older post of mine showing the difference between chrome and anodized lenses:

55 minutes ago, junix said:

Not entirely true.

My chrome DR does match perfectly with my M3.  Just checked again...  and I looked real hard! lol.

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 1:23 AM, waltron said:

I hear you but the silver chrome lenses are the exact same silver chrome as the shutter release and film reminder. In photos it can look weird bit in use the silver on the rear door has a great aesthetic balance with a silver chrome lens. Plus the red infill paint. Perfect.

• Like 3

I have the impression that most people opt for a black M-A. If this is indeed the case, do you think that, in the future, when the M-A will be discontinued, silver bodies will be more sought after, inverting the trend that we see with vintage M bodies? 

Just asking for the sake of curiosity. I can't afford either color at the moment. No investment intended😂

2 hours ago, 4r36 said:

I have the impression that most people opt for a black M-A. If this is indeed the case, do you think that, in the future, when the M-A will be discontinued, silver bodies will be more sought after, inverting the trend that we see with vintage M bodies? 

Just asking for the sake of curiosity. I can't afford either color at the moment. No investment intended😂

I used to dislike silver bodies, prefering black ever since I started more than 30 years ago. But slowly, I find myself liking the M2-M3 and Barnacks quite a lot. And I deeply dislike my M2 repaint. 
According to me, repaints are what will end up making the original silver cameras desirable again. I see no value in a repaint, it’s just an act of quasi-vandalism.

So yes, silver M-A might fetch a premium, somewhere down the road...

• Like 1