I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Kriehuber said:

It would be nice for analogue and digital cameras if they just would offer to order a customized camera directly when buying directly from them.

Agreed.  No idea why they wouldn't do that.

I didn't realize that one could order a camera directly from Wetzlar.  I've only bought one new Leica camera (a black chrome M-A) and bought it from a Leica store here in the US.  Ordering directly would certainly save the cost/trouble of shipping the camera back to the factory for customization.

My experience for special orders has been that, while I might raise the issue with those in Wetzlar, it gets handled and invoiced through the local distributor/dealer network.

I do sense that Leica ditched the a la carte programme for good policy reasons.  You will read elsewhere on the forum that some are being told this level of customisation is not possible.  I imagine it’s a hassle.  So you might get variable responses from Leica ….

47 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

You will read elsewhere on the forum that some are being told this level of customisation is not possible.  I imagine it’s a hassle.  So you might get variable responses from Leica ….

I would hope that requests for customizations that fall within the official 'Redesign' program would be honored.  Those seem to be restricted to leather, camera finish and engraving options.   I would not count on other customizations (eg. viewfinder magnification), although one might get lucky.

Edited by logan2z

vor 24 Minuten schrieb IkarusJohn:

My experience for special orders has been that, while I might raise the issue with those in Wetzlar, it gets handled and invoiced through the local distributor/dealer network.

I do sense that Leica ditched the a la carte programme for good policy reasons.  You will read elsewhere on the forum that some are being told this level of customisation is not possible.  I imagine it’s a hassle.  So you might get variable responses from Leica ….

I can imagine that its way more difficult to get customizations done when everything is getting handled through a dealer. I always contact Leica in Wetzlar directly, either via Mail or Phone and ask them. Dealers ( and also most Leica stores ) probably don't even know what Leica can do and what services they offer in most of the cases and the communication probably isn't perfect for Dealers / Leica Stores around the world. ( They pretty much only talk about repairs, leather and engravings on their side, but they offer SO much more )! I live in Germany and always had a great experience with their customer service. Probably because I can contact them directly without any middleman. So I cant speak how the service is outside of Germany and how they handle requests from outside of Germany. Maybe its best, if someone wants a customization just to contact Wetzlar directly via customer.care@leica-camera.com . I would expect them to speak english. 

The big question would be if the except request from outside if Germany and if you are willing to pay import taxes etc, that may occur. As said I can imagine what's possible varies drastically depending on who is talking to whom and from where.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kriehuber said:

I can imagine that its way more difficult to get customizations done when everything is getting handled through a dealer. I always contact Leica in Wetzlar directly, either via Mail or Phone and ask them. Dealers ( and also most Leica stores ) probably don't even know what Leica can do and what services they offer in most of the cases and the communication probably isn't perfect for Dealers / Leica Stores around the world. ( They pretty much only talk about repairs, leather and engravings on their side, but they offer SO much more )! I live in Germany and always had a great experience with their customer service. Probably because I can contact them directly without any middleman. So I cant speak how the service is outside of Germany and how they handle requests from outside of Germany. Maybe its best, if someone wants a customization just to contact Wetzlar directly via customer.care@leica-camera.com . I would expect them to speak english. 

The big question would be if the except request from outside if Germany and if you are willing to pay import taxes etc, that may occur. As said I can imagine what's possible varies drastically depending on who is talking to whom and from where.

Yes, this is very true.

If you contact your local dealer directly, they will have no idea.  Similarly, the “Redesign” option seems to appear only on the Leica NJ website.  So, you contact Wetzlar directly, and get their agreement to what it is you want to achieve.  But, being outside of Germany, you are then told to fill in the form they send, and drop your camera and completed form to the local Leica distributor who handles the shipping and invoicing etc.

Dealing with Wetzlar directly from outside Germany can be a tremendous hassle - exporting from NZ, most couriers require an invoice (what do you mean, an invoice - it’s a warranty repair/I’m not selling the camera, etc etc); clearing the camera through German customs also requires a “pro forma” invoice, which Leica supplies; your camera then gets repaired (the easy bit, which takes a while); then it gets cleared and shipped back to NZ (I’ve tracked one camera go around the World a few times in the past - a pen I’m waiting for, made in Germany, went to the Netherlands, and back to Germany, it seems because someone failed to recognise where New Zealand is); then, when it arrives in NZ, the courier company won’t release the camera until you pay the GST on the camera (but I exported it for repair by your company - you have to keep a copy of the export clearance) … and so it goes.

Leica’s suggestion to get the repair/service form from Wetzlar and forward that form, your camera and the email string to the local distributor is a better idea.

John (watching his camera “in progress” for weeks)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vlad Soare said:

I was going to ask how come you've got unpainted dots on the rewind knob and unpainted flash sync marker on the speed dial - is it a special edition? But then I realized it was a monochrome picture. 😂

Yes, that's a severe limitation of the Q2M 😁  

You can tell the colour of my filter by how the red dots came out.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:50 AM, Kriehuber said:

I asked them before buying. The MA Base- and Top-Plate are completely interchangeable ( as is the whole body ). So they just changed out the Top and Bottom-Plate with a black Paint one. It obviously took more time since they had to custom engrave it, since the black paint parts normally only come with MP engravings. They also offered custom engravings ( My personal engraving and/ or the classic Leica specific ones. 

I did order directly form Leica ( not via a Leica store or other dealer ). So they send me a invoice including the M-A and the Plate change.  In my experience that's the only difference to the A la Carte program, you can't order a custom camera directly, but you pay for the whole camera + the service. So this change is also possible when just buying a normal M-A from a Leica Store or dealer and then you can just send it in to Wetzlar. 

As always they don't repaint but always change out the whole part for a new one and destroy the old one so there is no Serialnumber existing twice.

You could also just get the camera repainted by someone who offers that, all the popular options often share black paint cameras they repainted and they look pretty close to the Leica ones, if not the same. But I never tried that myself, but there are probably a lot of reviews out there. 

Hi thanks for letting me know this! Truly helpful! Dont be shy to post some pics I want to see this beauty! 

My M-A with friend.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• Like 5

Triple black: black Leica M-A with black Leica MR and black Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6

• Like 11

1 hour ago, alainD said:

Triple black: black Leica M-A with black Leica MR and black Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6

Sorry I don't get this, you love the M-A presumably because it has no meter, then you add the bulk of an add on meter that is less functional than the meter in say the M6 or MP?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1