Leica T performs digital lens correction , a claim by dpreview.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono, you're missing my point here

It's not me who needs convincing about Leica quality, I have a ton of M gear

The main reason why Leica lenses are expensive is because they're Hand Made in Germany

I believe you that the T lenses will be of comparable Leica quality

For lenses made in japan that are rolling off the mechanical production lines, the price does seem on the higher side?

Leica should listen to your advice a little more it seems

HI There - well, nobody listens to me - and if they do, then they usually disagree :D

More seriously, I haven't suggested to Leica that they make the lens manufacturer public, just a personal opinion.

As for the price - no idea - but I guess they aren't planning to make as many as Fuji and their lenses.

An interesting thing about the lenses, is that they appear to have a 50 year soldering life (circle with 50 in it) - I've checked every other lens I have and it says 10 years. They are clearly solid and well made pieces of kit.

As I say, I think naming the company and singing it's praises from the rooftop would be better than not (but what do I know).

I agree with both: the lenses are bound to be terrific and the factory matters little, objectively

BUT. We know many Leicaphiles are absolutely obsessed with place of origin. The factory location is being intentionally obscured because marketing wants to control the message. In this case, the apparent goal is to maintain a premium price position.

Fighting to hide information creates an elevation of the question, and this typically backfires in the modern world. The message will become "The info Leica didn't want you to know" and the comparisons will be "Sigma version:$399. Leica version: $1900"

(I am not sure what the bloggers said about Rembrandt).

It is a matter of time before the mysterious Japanese manufacturer is named

How do you think the forums will then react to Leica's pricing of the lenses that are "Made in Japan" and in mass production, not hand made / hand polished / hand whatever

I still don't see why it matters. A Leica design made with specified materials to specific tolerances.

This whole "software correction thing" is a tempest in a teapot. The only people complaining is DPR but they're also the *only* place I'd seen the claim that the only corrections were optical.

Jono, you're missing my point here

It's not me who needs convincing about Leica quality, I have a ton of M gear

The main reason why Leica lenses are expensive is because they're Hand Made in Germany

I believe you that the T lenses will be of comparable Leica quality

For lenses made in japan that are rolling off the mechanical production lines, the price does seem on the higher side?

Leica should listen to your advice a little more it seems

I demand that Leica price their stuff cheap enough for me to afford. How come they put their need for profit above my need for cheap quality gear !!

BTW, price is dictated by supply and demand. I will say a coke bottle is over priced... even more in Disneyland for plain sugar water. I will check coke forum whether people are outraged.

• Like 2

It seems I'm in the minority here because the T lenses don't seem overpriced to me. Expensive? Yes. Over priced? No.

The M 35 'cron is $3350 on BH.

The M 24 Elmar is $2650 on BH.

The M 28 'cron is $4295 on BH.

The T 23 'cron is $1950 on BH.

The T 18-56 zoom is $1750 on BH.

There is no such lens made for the M system.

In fact the Leica T, both T lenses, viewfinder, M adapter, extra battery costs over $200 less than just the M. Let's keep a perspective on things, eh?

As for distortion correction, it's a non issue. The issue at hand is the purported claim by Leica that the T lenses don't require it. And I too recall it being mentioned by several sources that the lenses are optically corrected.

Edited by CaptZoom
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...Fighting to hide information creates an elevation of the question, and this typically backfires in the modern world. The message will become "The info Leica didn't want you to know" and the comparisons will be "Sigma version:$399. Leica version: $1900"...

Yes and the subliminal message will be "another head in the sand approach from Leica" even if they did not mind to reveal that they worked with brands like Schneider, Angenieux and Minolta in the past. Not sure if they disclosed their cooperation with Hoya though. Not enough prestige perhaps? ;)

I would very disappointed if Leica did not apply digital correction via DNG options.

The objections from those who are almost certainly dreamers who live outside real photographic practitioners would not be buyers.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

If it's like the XV it will just be for barrel/pincushion .....and probably just for the zoom .....if you want to see another example of how much is done I posted some pics here........ almost the same as the DPR images ....

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-x1-forum/327007-xvario-lens-distortion.html#post2663240

the image in camera is quite substantially cropped which is presumably why corner performance is preserved. Almost all the cameras using this format seem to do this to some extent.

Edited by thighslapper

A plain disappointment ...

Why?

I would be disappointed if it didn't have software corrections. Do you think Leica is the only manufacture doing this?

What happens to your T Lenses when the Leica T typ801 ships...should Leica be restricted to the exact same specs so that the lenses are a perfect match again, or wouldn't you prefer improvements and additional software corrections?

I don't get it, why is this such a big deal?

• Like 6

This could be a big deal for people who like lenses for their character more so than for performances they can reach with tweakings in firmware or PP. Not sure if such people are the core target of the T though.

This could be a big deal for people who like lenses for their character more so than for performances they can reach with tweakings in firmware or PP. Not sure if such people are the core target of the T though.

You think?

I doubt the core target will take an automatic camera and set it to full manual either.

... Not sure if they disclosed their cooperation with Hoya though....

When I worked for Leitz and Leica, (that's been awhile :) ) the company was quite open that a) they preferred to buy glass rather than to batch-produce it themselves, and B) Hoya was one of their biggest glass suppliers.

Hoya was never a secret, but people tended not to ask.

Regarding this thread: We might better be discussing the source of the aluminum of the T's body. :rolleyes:

Edited by ho_co
  • Like 2

The next new M lens will come with a software CD to correct its distortion and CA's. That will be fine too I guess?

Any correction represents issues with the lens performance. Some distortion is a fact of most WA or zoom lenses of course, but it's easier/cheaper to make a lens which performs below par and fix it with software. Couldn't happen with film only though.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 2