Nikon to M adapter with tripod foot?

chmilar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have researched the various Nikon to Leica M mount adapters, and I have not found one that has a tripod mounting foot similar to Leica's R to M adapter.

I am considering getting the Zeiss 135mm Apo-Sonnar for use on the Typ240. This lens is very similar in size and weight to the Leica 180mm Apo-Elmarit-R, for which the tripod foot is recommended.

Novoflex has a tripod foot for their Sony Nex adapters, but it does not look like it works with their Nikon to M adapter.

Does anyone know of a solution? Or, are the adapter makers working on it?

• Like 2

I have researched the various Nikon to Leica M mount adapters, and I have not found one that has a tripod mounting foot similar to Leica's R to M adapter...Does anyone know of a solution?

Novaflex makes a collar for the LE(M)-NEX adapter (Leica M lens to Sony E mount camera). The model number is ASTAT-NEX. The foot can accept 1/4 and 3/8 tripod screws, and also will mount directly in a Arca-Swiss compatible tripod head.

Novaflex also makes the LE(M)-NIK-NT adapter (Nikon F-mount lens to Leica M camera). Unfortunately, you can't use the ASTAT-NEX with the LE(M)-NIK-NT; the release button for the F-mount lens interferes. However, it looks to me that you show, with some judicious work with a file, remove enough metal from the collar in the area of where the release button will go to make it all fit, while not removing so much that you weaken the collar so that it's not strong enough to do its job with lenses that don't have a collar of their own. The diameter of the inside of the collar is a pretty good match for the outside of the adapter -- I don't think shimming will be necessary.

It might be stronger to file from the inside of the collar radially outwards to make room for the button, since there is more "meat" to the collar in that direction. However, if you made room that way, you'd have to remove the collar from the adapter to change from one Nikon lens to another. By the way, the LE(M)-NEX adapter is arranged so you have to remove the collar to change from one Leica Lens to another.

I'd take a file to my collar and get some clarity on the situation, but I only have the one and don't want to take the chance of ruining it.

Jim

Edited by JimKasson

I thought maybe a picture would help you see what I'm talking about. In it, we have a Nikon F-mount lens on a M240 via a Novaflex adapter, with a callout for the interfering release button. You can also see the Novaflex collar for the Leica to NEX adapter, and that adapter.

Diagram.jpg

Does that help?

Jim