M to L adapter options

bdolzani

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apologies up front, I have searched the forum for what has undoubtedly been discussed 100x and haven't found a direct thread:

What are your adapter experiences - from Leica branded (obviously perfect I imagine) to 3rd party options. 

It's funny that some lower end options say 'no AF' when M lenses are manual anyway...

I'm curious when they say 'no aperture control' - does that mean no auto exposure/metering (depending on your aperture), or that you have to turn the aperture dial (duh. that's normal on an M). 

thanks

Edited by bdolzani

• bdolzani changed the title to M to L adapter options

They don't transfer the lens in EXIF, some functions are shifted, e.g.magnification moves from a top wheel to the arrow pad on the CL.

• Like 1

Hi, I have a ttartisan that I prefer to the official M to L adapter (which I also own) as it allows me to use the joystick at the back for magnification with my M lenses which is my preference. On the most recent firmware update, Leica added additional functionality to the joystick which randomly took this option away when using their official adapter. The rumor is that it will come back at some point but until it does, the only way around it is to use a 3rd party adapter or map the function to another button. The ttartisan is super solid and does what it needs to do for now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, costa43 said:

Hi, I have a ttartisan that I prefer to the official M to L adapter (which I also own) as it allows me to use the joystick at the back for magnification with my M lenses which is my preference. On the most recent firmware update, Leica added additional functionality to the joystick which randomly took this option away when using their official adapter. The rumor is that it will come back at some point but until it does, the only way around it is to use a 3rd party adapter or map the function to another button. The ttartisan is super solid and does what it needs to do for now. 

very appreciated thanks! I'm also looking at the FotodioX. 

Posted (edited)

I have an Urth adapter and im happy. 

I heard you can get lens corrections on files with the original L-M adapter from Leica. 

I miss auto magnification with the lens focus like AF lenses and Im sure it can be made based on live view instead of coupling. It'd need some cpu processing. At the moment, you get auto magnification only with AF lenses.

Edited by tomasis7
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, costa43 said:

I have a ttartisan that I prefer to the official M to L adapter (which I also own) as it allows me to use the joystick at the back for magnification with my M lenses which is my preference

I use the Leica M-Adapter L with various manual focus lenses on the SL Typ 601 and have no problem with using the rubber joystick to zoom for focus.  Need to make sure the settings of the button are for zoom in MF mode.

The Leica Adapter is excellent for transferring EXIF data, picking up the 6-bit coding if present and applying firmware corrections for recognised Leica lenses.

I don't know about auto-magnification with AF lenses:  it certainly does not seem an option on the SL with Sigma AF lenses but maybe that is on later models?

• Like 1

Just now, John Robinson said:

I use the Leica M-Adapter L with various manual focus lenses on the SL Typ 601 and have no problem with using the rubber joystick to zoom for focus.  Need to make sure the settings of the button are for zoom in MF mode.

The Leica Adapter is excellent for transferring EXIF data, picking up the 6-bit coding if present and applying firmware corrections for recognised Leica lenses.

I don't know about auto-magnification with AF lenses:  it certainly does not seem an option on the SL with Sigma AF lenses but maybe that is on later models?

The phenomenon is only relevant to the sl2s and sl2 after their latest firmware update. The typ 601 is in the clear!

• Thanks 1