APO 50 delivery status

SiggiGun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have seen the M and S comparo as Lou stated above, both excellent detail, both strong performers, but a slight edge by the APO on a FF M camera, that is why the APO is such an attractive lens apart from the tech data and specifications. I know not to sell a Leica lens so I am keeping my 50 Lux when the APO comes my way.:)

It is a dilemma alright, Leica puts a dent in ones account but look at it this way. With the prices increasing every year / year and a half, acquiring and holding on to Leica glass beats the current bank interest rates AND you have the joy of the lens. As Lou commented, they are all 50mms but they all tell a different story.....:D cheers mate. Koala54, fellow Sydneysider in Miami

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can update my status. I was in the local Leica dealer in Austin, TX Precision Camera. I was just snooping around and wanted to look at their X Vario, not to buy just to touch. Jon who works there and I were talking as I was fiddling with the X and and I asked him if they had actually had any M240's and he said three had been sold as soon as the hit the store. He said someone call last week wanting a 240 and 50 APO for a project. Jon told him he had the 50 APO but not the M240. I said Jon you have a 50 APO? He said yes in the back. I said can I "look" at it. To make a long story short, I put a deposit on it and will pick it up this week. :D Both it and the Noctilux would be cheaper if they did away with the fancy packaging. :p Sorry guys.

• Like 1

I can update my status. I was in the local Leica dealer in Austin, TX Precision Camera. I was just snooping around and wanted to look at their X Vario, not to buy just to touch. Jon who works there and I were talking as I was fiddling with the X and and I asked him if they had actually had any M240's and he said three had been sold as soon as the hit the store. He said someone call last week wanting a 240 and 50 APO for a project. Jon told him he had the 50 APO but not the M240. I said Jon you have a 50 APO? He said yes in the back. I said can I "look" at it. To make a long story short, I put a deposit on it and will pick it up this week. :D Both it and the Noctilux would be cheaper if they did away with the fancy packaging. :p Sorry guys.

Wonder how long Jon had had it sitting "in the back"?

Wonder how long Jon had had it sitting "in the back"?

I asked him and he really did not know. This shop does not have a good webmaster and I told him that if they did, it would have been gone!!!! After I pick it up perhaps I can tell by the included information or the serial number how long they have had it. There have been no other US deliveries reported lately.

• Like 1

Yes, 4 lenses with over the top fancy packaging - those two 50's and the two wide Summiluxes. Fitting I suppose for their 4 most expensive lenses but when the APO 50 comes in a bigger box than an M240 (more or less), it does seem OTT.

FWIW, I much prefer using the APO on the M240 to the M9, something to do with the higher resolution LCD display seeming to go hand in hand with performance of the lens. Irrational I know and I now know that my initial disappointment with the lens was down to the focussing going off in my M9.

FWIW, I much prefer using the APO on the M240 to the M9, something to do with the higher resolution LCD display seeming to go hand in hand with performance of the lens. Irrational I know and I now know that my initial disappointment with the lens was down to the focussing going off in my M9.

If the APO 50 I have on order ever does arrive (may I live so long) I intend it for the MM.

Am I wrong in thinking that originally it was "designed" with that camera in mind rather than the M9?

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking that originally it was "designed" with that camera in mind rather than the M9?

I do not think it was designed for a specific camera, but as an exercise to produce the ultimate lens. Putts suggested it needed the resolution of the MM sensor (and hopefully the M240 as well) to take full advantage of its resolving power.

• Like 1

Puts suggested it needed the resolution of the M Monochrom sensor—and hopefully the M (Typ 240) as well—to take full advantage of its resolving power.

This notion is a common misconception. In fact, a high-end lens like this one will show superior rendition on any sensor ... umm, provided it focuses properly.