Where are all the Reviews of the 21 APO?

jplomley

Not really much to say really is there?

We all know the drill by now.  

1. Expensive but well built. 
2. Good/Great performance but similar options at a more affordable price point. 
3. Worse autofocus performance compared to all peers due to lack of phase detect autofocus on Leica cameras.

4. Long waiting times for delivery plus a flurry of teething problems like tight manual focus rings that will take 6-8 weeks at leica to have repaired. 
5. Must have lens by all real Leica shooters. 2024 best sales year for Leica ever. 600Million euros plus. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, jplomley said:

The lack of fanfare around this long-awaited optic is somewhat concerning. First APO corrected wide angle in this focal length and no reviews! Guess we waited so long everyone that would have cared has simply moved on.

Might be true. I expected lots f discussion, however the new zoom gets more attention than the prime. Strange.

• Like 1

I’m just happy it’s here.  Prob a case of m11-p taking all their attention at this time.  

I don’t need a YouTuber to tell me what I already know and what I need.

if people love the apo in their work and have the money, they’ll simply buy it.  

Robb

• Like 11

At this point, the APO Summicron line is a known quantity as far as handling is concerned. Optically, it’s the best 21mm that Leica can make while hitting a $5500 USD price point and it will probably be the highest performing 21mm on the market for many years. With that said, there are many other high quality comparable options on the market since Leica announced their roadmap in 2018 such as the Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG DN and Sony 20mm f/1.4 GM (yes, not L-mount compatible).

Looking at the MTFs (and accounting for the different lp/mm), the Sigma 20 f/1.4 DG DN will give the 21 SL APO a serious run for its money. I’d be most curious about how the two stack up side-by-side. The Sigma gets you probably 95-100% of the image quality at less than 17% of the price of the Leica. To put things in to perspective, people often pay more than 17% for tipping at a restaurant in North America!

Funny coincidence. The Sigma 20/1.4 DG DN’s magnification ratio of 1:6.1 is also coincidentally the same ratio as the price between the Sigma and Leica.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You know, This felt condescending to me   "I don't need online reviews to know what I'm buying". but whatever.

I don't either. 

I bought the last few Leica lenses Like Gordon, I walked into the store on release date and purchased them....

But saying it's not weird that there's no reviews is actually a little weird in itself and acting like Youtube reviews are irrelevant is also a bit myopic in my opinion.

1 hour ago, thatkatmat said:

You know, This felt condescending to me   "I don't need online reviews to know what I'm buying". but whatever.

I don't either. 

I bought the last few Leica lenses Like Gordon, I walked into the store on release date and purchased them....

But saying it's not weird that there's no reviews is actually a little weird in itself and acting like Youtube reviews are irrelevant is also a bit myopic in my opinion.

I’m not knocking people who enjoy watching YouTube videos.  I watch some here and there.  And I’m not knocking learning something productive on camera gear from those reviewers.  Check.

but in general, 90% of the YouTube reviews are really not that helpful, so I’m not feeling like we are missing out on this.  There’s not that many YouTubers where I am in awe of their image making skills so why should we be influenced anyway?  

but to answer why no real reviews…

It seems to me that the release of the 21 was not a top priority at the company (for whatever factors) and the marketing of that was also not a top priority.  And because there may have been several starts and stops on this over the last 5 years along with (huge money making) other projects for them, it just fell into the shadows.

Wasn’t trying to be condescending.  I just don’t filter everything when I’m hanging out with my photo friends.

Robb

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

But I’ll bet that in the new LFI magazine, the apo 21 and 14-24 will have like 3 pages max for both together, and the m11-p will have two story spreads, and an interview, and tech details galore… lol

and tons of m11-p YouTube coverage

Robb

2 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

I don't either. 

Actually, it wasn't. It was literal. I have the SIgma 14-24 (since release). And I have 3 SL APO Summicrons. I actually knew exactly what I was getting unless there's an actual issue with the lenses I bought. Nor did I say that others should or should not rely on reviews from any source. *I* didn't need a review of either lens.

I made exactly zero comment on whether it was weird or not or on Youtube's relevancy to anyone, including myself.

But whatever....

Gordon

• Like 4

6 hours ago, beewee said:

Sony 20mm f/1.4 GM (yes, not L-mount compatible).

Small correction - there isn't such a lens.  There is however the SEL20F18G

https://www.sony.com.au/lenses/products/sel20f18g

Not in the GM class, but apparently very good neverthelss (I have the 24mm GM, but not the 20mm G).

Back on topic, good to see the Lecia 21mm APO was finally released.  Wonder how long the 24mm APO will take?…

BTW in Australia the 21mm APO is listed for $AUD 8 890 and the Sony 20mm G is listed for $AUD 1 045.

https://leica-store.com.au/products/11181

Edited by AZN

9 hours ago, robb said:

but in general, 90% of the YouTube reviews are really not that helpful, so I’m not feeling like we are missing out on this.  There’s not that many YouTubers where I am in awe of their image making skills so why should we be influenced anyway?

Clearly these videos are not aimed at you or me. They are aimed mainly at people that are not familiar with Leica. These videos generate interest and brand awareness, which in turn generate sales. 
It’s strange that there is virtually no mention of these lenses outside of the press release on the usual suspects (DPReview, Petapixel etc). 
You would get the idea that Leica doesn’t care about this lens. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

There's a good reason why Leica SL releases don't get much attention from influencers: absolutely nobody buys a $5000 lens through affiliate links!

Ask yourself, would you buy the new APO Summicron via a dodgy Amazon link? The answer is no, and neither would anyone else.

This "one simple trick" removes any incentive to spend a day shooting and editing a video. If anything it's a negative incentive, because how can an internet expert claim to be "totally blown away by" the next 21mm?

The whole game is based on getting you to click a link right away, without checking if the product is sold through less suspicious sources.

That being said, I think we will see a few incidental reviews of this lens once the new body comes out. Not from the usual 100+ experts on the same day (in English, and 200 more in other languages), but from a smaller group. There's also the always popular "I tried a $15,000 Leica system!" videos, which happens in every hobby: "I tried a $15,000 air fryer!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1