APO 50 delivery status

SiggiGun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first 50 AA in the Seattle area was delivered to my dealer today 13 months after it was ordered, and thence into my hot little hands shortly thereafter...

Do not know if that means more are coming, my local rep has been pushing to get me one for a month now, so I could have it whilst on a long holiday in England & Spain.

It pays to be on good terms with your local store & Leica rep!

I picked up my APO 50 this afternoon and the guy behind the counter who asked if he could help me was carrying a Leica box. I showed him my deposit receipt and he said how strange because he had in the box just delivered from Leica another APO 50. I asked him if it was sold and he said he said yes to a guy named Gary. So Gary if you are on the forum, congrats. But I would say that there must be a lot more APO 50's that arrived in the USA recently if there was another one here in Austin. Precision Camera is not a large Leica dealer I would say. If you are after one of these, call the smaller dealers today. If the one that arrived today in Austin was not sold I was going to have them hold it because I know jbl on the forum is really wanting one.

The first 50 AA in the Seattle area was delivered to my dealer today 13 months after it was ordered, and thence into my hot little hands shortly thereafter...

Do not know if that means more are coming, my local rep has been pushing to get me one for a month now, so I could have it whilst on a long holiday in England & Spain.

It pays to be on good terms with your local store & Leica rep!

Congrats, I found mine by accident on Sunday and the dealer got in another today.

Noting the serial number on my APO 50 which is 416xxxx and another lens my 135 I bought in April which is 418xxxx, I would say that Precision Camera had this lens since the first batch came to the USA back in March. Of course I am assuming that Leica uses sequential numbering. The Noctilux I bought three weeks ago was originally purchased in April and it is a 418xxxx. Precision Camera admits they do not update their website and I told them this would have sold ten times over if they did.

Like I told the wife, I am through buying any more Leica lens :D

Edited by Bill Wendlandt

I offered nothing. I did not reveal the price of the lens either. I just said I was going to get ONE more lens and then I was through!!!!!

She can probably guesstimate the price range just based on your choice of words and the tone of your denial. Wives get pretty good at that. :D

Congrats (to anyone, really, who gets one of these things),

s-a

She can probably guesstimate the price range just based on your choice of words and the tone of your denial. Wives get pretty good at that. :D

Congrats (to anyone, really, who gets one of these things),

s-a

I pretty much use the dont ask dont tell. If she dont ask I dont tell. The last time she ask what something cost, it was my MM.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I pretty much use the dont ask dont tell. If she dont ask I dont tell. The last time she ask what something cost, it was my MM.

Is it difficult to explain why a camera that just takes b&w photo's costs more than one that takes colour pic's?

Is it difficult to explain why a camera that just takes b&w photo's costs more than one that takes colour pic's?

It never came up. She knew when we got married that I was into photography in a big way as my primary hobby.

Leica Camera Australia got their first batch delivered yesterday. All sold of course and back orders remaining.

I got to briefly try the one belonging to the General Manager (at a boutique opening). Shot about 3 frames on my shiny new M (TYP 240) :D

Leica Camera Australia got their first batch delivered yesterday. All sold of course and back orders remaining.

I got to briefly try the one belonging to the General Manager (at a boutique opening). Shot about 3 frames on my shiny new M (TYP 240) :D

Can you please share the 3 frames you took?

These were nothing more than grabs in late afternoon light. I just tried to put some fine detail in the frame corners. Nothing definitive nor scientific.

The compression for here destroys that. I'll post a link when I upload it elsewhere. Suffice to say that it is shatteringly good right out to the extreme corners.

I have alway sbeen curious how many of a specific lens Leica builds at one time. I was told years ago that they would set up production for a certain lens and so to speak, build a run of 50mm Summilux lens one day and say 24mm the next day. For those folks waiting for the APO 50, hopefully they built more than 30 or 40 this time.

Incidentally ... That second lens you saw is gone already. I was in yesterday and asked about it.

Thanks, I was going to call them today for another forum member who has been looking. I guess someone named Gary go this lens.

I picked up my APO 50 this afternoon and the guy behind the counter who asked if he could help me was carrying a Leica box. I showed him my deposit receipt and he said how strange because he had in the box just delivered from Leica another APO 50. I asked him if it was sold and he said he said yes to a guy named Gary. So Gary if you are on the forum, congrats. But I would say that there must be a lot more APO 50's that arrived in the USA recently if there was another one here in Austin. Precision Camera is not a large Leica dealer I would say. If you are after one of these, call the smaller dealers today. If the one that arrived today in Austin was not sold I was going to have them hold it because I know jbl on the forum is really wanting one.

Thanks Bill,

Just like you, I was intrigued by the APO but never put my name on any list. I just decided to look for one that very day and started cold calling the smaller dealers listed on the Leica website; I avoided the larger dealers, knowing that they could have significant waiting lists. Luckily, I happened on Precision Camera which has been a very professional outfit to deal with.

As an aside, the Leica gods must be on my side. About 6 weeks ago, out of the blue, a dealer which I purchased my MM from called me to offer a black M240 they were expecting in a few days. I wasn't in the market for the M (had not even put my name on any list) given I had only gotten the MM a few months earlier but with the advantages of LV and EVF, I succumbed within an hour and called him back with my credit card info. I haven't regretted it one bit. The IQ with my lenses (35 Lux ASPH pre FLE, 50 Nocti 1.0) that focus shift or had been difficult to have focus corrected have improved to where I am satisfied regarding their performance.

Edited by ymc226