Leica R lenses-What to do with them digitally?

dave.gt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now that I worked some, older Leica lenses are marginally better than Nikon G. APO lenses will knock your socks off.

Confirmation green dot depends on the screen being at the correct position. I have yet to see a Nikon where it was, so I adjust them.

I can manually focus 400 6.8 wide open. 5.6 is my common aperture.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently saw some Panasonic cameras being demonstrated and tried the Panasonic / Leica R adapter with a 60mm Elmarit ( that is what I happened to have to hand) .

I can not remember the bodies I tried out . However the adapter has no mechanical or electrical contacts so the camera does not know it has a lense on the front of it so you have to push numerous buttons and go into the menu etc. Sorry I am not keen on all the menus etc on a camera.

One of the Panasonics had an electronic viewfinder and the other one was a screen on the back . I had to open the lense up full to see properly and focus on the back of the camera , not easy . With the Elmarit on the front the 'refresh' rate on the back screen and in the electronic viewfinder dropped so if you moved the caera it 'jerked' . I could not follow something.

I did not get the chance to take any pictures so I do not know what the resutls would be like . I imagine witha a bit of practice I could get used to it .

I have briefly treid a friend's Cannon with an Elmarit 90 and I preferd that.

I'm considering the NEX6 as an option at this time, I like the idea of focus peaking and while the AA filter might be an issue, as a stop gap (until a reasonably affordable) solution is announced. I would possibly have gone for Fuji's X-E1 but that's a fair bit more.

The NEX6 seems to garner it's fair share of praise, even over the 7 model for various reasons.

That's what I did. I bought a NEX 6 and Metabones adapters for both M and R. The M adapter is pretty tight but R adapter was a bit disappointment as the lens still rotates slightly after I hear the click. I am still getting used to using the NEX 6 but I can already see the potential it has.

• 11 months later...