Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to say it, but we all have to dig up some cash and get the Leica Reloaded now :D

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Leica M9 Digital Rangefinder Camera

I've posted some photos from the Leica M9 on my page here and basically intend to make a page on the Leica M9 much like the one on the Digilux 2. The M9 will not replace the Digilux 2, but D2 and M9 are just more in family than the M8.2 was with the D2. An updated D2 along with the M9 and the world will be looking quite perfect.

Hi John

I made three exposures , on correct and the other two were plus and minus one stop. I then used photomatix pro 3.2 and used the exposure fusion feature in that program and that was it. I do not spend any time as such on the computer processing photos as I am no good at it . I would like to find a simple setting in a program to process my photos and I would be very happy. The exposure fusion feature is as close as I can get to processing a photo that looks simular to what I think I saw, without that HDR look. The photo was colour but I converted it to B/W in elements 6, the colour version is on my Flickr page.

Thanks Doug

Douglas, it is interesting to read your processing technique. The result is excellent. If you still have the raw file correctly exposed, have you tried PS Shadows/Highlights which I find is also an easy method to improve shadow detail. Even easier is ACR as incorporated in Lightroom. It is amazing what detail can be restored using the highlight and shadows adjustments, although you do have keep an eye on the histogram to avoiding clipping.

Sorry to say it, but we all have to dig up some cash and get the Leica Reloaded now :D

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Leica M9 Digital Rangefinder Camera

I've posted some photos from the Leica M9 on my page here and basically intend to make a page on the Leica M9 much like the one on the Digilux 2. The M9 will not replace the Digilux 2, but D2 and M9 are just more in family than the M8.2 was with the D2. An updated D2 along with the M9 and the world will be looking quite perfect.

Thorsten, you are just trying to get us to spend more money!

I've said it before - this humble LC1 (in my case) keeps showing its pedigree.

Bill - congrats on the LC1 making its way back, can't wait to see the pics!

And Thorsten - my budget is straining as it is...the M9 will just have to wait a few years more, no matter how many amazing shots you post on the mini-site (which I am bookmarking as we speak).

Here's two from the LC1 - a 'silent' camera that really comes in handy when the CLACK of an M8 or Digilux 3 would interfere with a live broadcast:

3912787213_1e64d504b0_b.jpg

3912808051_ac498f4053_b.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love those television studio shots. I don't know how many times I've felt lucky (almost superior) when I could shoot pictures without any sound. There's plenty of times and places where sound is not allowed or rude, and so few cameras that works without sound. So when others can steal one shot, you can just shoot away with the D2.

As for M9, you may start reading UK Amateur Photographer from October, because they give away a very special M9 - one of a kind:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Leica_M9_news__win_exclusive_oneoff_camera_news_289656.html

I've said it before - this humble LC1 (in my case) keeps showing its pedigree.

Bill - congrats on the LC1 making its way back, can't wait to see the pics!

And Thorsten - my budget is straining as it is...the M9 will just have to wait a few years more, no matter how many amazing shots you post on the mini-site (which I am bookmarking as we speak).

Here's two from the LC1 - a 'silent' camera that really comes in handy when the CLACK of an M8 or Digilux 3 would interfere with a live broadcast:

Spectacular exposures. Wow.

I agree, the stealth mode is quite handy in many situations:-)

Just went to a batism and the D2 worked perfectly even in low light.

Iso 100 f. 2.2 and 1/30 is underexposed a little and then pushed in LR.

og til dig Thorsten, tak for din super gode D2 side som er en stor hjælp

for en Leica novice som mig.

Kind regards

Martin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by martinvath

Making a backup of my photos i found some lost dl 2 shots again.

For me the DL 2 have a distinctive feeling more than a distinctive look.

Same good feeling when taking portraits or architecture.

Lost this feeling for more than 20 years when my Rollei SL35E died.

And got it back with the DL2.

JJ

Edited by jobjob

Covering the 2009 Petit Le Mans this week, I stole a few moments with the Digilux 2 shooting in black and white mode.

BTW, I'm convinced carbon fiber is the solution to all the world's problems. God it's gorgeous. LOL

Edited by John Thawley
  • Like 1

Here are some of my results from the 'Antwerp Maritime' event.

Still need some practice because I only have the D2 for a month, but love the results so far.

And ... No Thorsten you will not convince me to buy an M9 now! :)

I bought the Digilux2 after reading the long train of articles. Was particularly impressed with the sharpness of the camera (what with only 5mp). Still trying to get better on the manual focus as the LCD is blurred. Is there a technique to get focus from MF in LCD ? Or do u use the EVF ?

BTW Thorsten - read your site initially looking for an M9 but came out convinced that the D2 is a much better tool at this moment for my needs. I have no doubt reading all the postings about the allround capabilities of this camera.

I have not used the DL2 but I do own and use the DL3 (well actually the Pany L1) and am inclined to think it produces jpg images that are much better than any others I have seen from any camera from any other manufacturer. (My SLR is a D200 and I exclusively shoot RAw with that now.)

Which in a way is good, as about the only RAW processor I have found for the DL3 is Silkypix and that is pretty primitive. Also RAW images from this camera will not render in Windows even with the required RAW plugin / codec and that makes them hard to work with in practical terms. So jpgs it is and very nice they are too - something about the color rendition I think. I have no idea whether these are similar to the d 2 ones tho'.