Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Believe it or not, I have only just looked at every single page and photograph in this thread. It is an amazing thread, the photographs are superb and are a credit to the authors. A selection of photographs from here would make an excellent exhibition. Hope the thread keeps going as it is invaluable to demonstrate the qualities of this camera which we are so enthusiastic about.

It still doesn't answer to me 'what makes the distinctive look'. The photographs here as so diverse - we have nature, landscape, architecture, pets, people and portraits, reportage, street photography and abstract all beautifully taken and seen - that it can't be just the camera that makes the 'look'. Ok the camera and lens superb quality, sensor, firmware play their part but there must be more to it. Is it that good photographers who can already take beautiful pictures are attracted to this camera. Or is it that using this camera and the way it is operated instils a certain 'different' mindset into those are fortunate to pick one up. It makes us see things differently.

So it's a credit to all who have posted photographs here - keep it up! I won't say 'great capture' because the word capture suggests that the subject resisted arrest.

Nigel

I thought I posted a couple of these to this thread yesterday. Must have gotten distracted.

From 2010 Palm Beach Cavallino Classic track days.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Believe it or not, I have only just looked at every single page and photograph in this thread. It is an amazing thread, the photographs are superb and are a credit to the authors. A selection of photographs from here would make an excellent exhibition. Hope the thread keeps going as it is invaluable to demonstrate the qualities of this camera which we are so enthusiastic about.

It still doesn't answer to me 'what makes the distinctive look'. The photographs here as so diverse - we have nature, landscape, architecture, pets, people and portraits, reportage, street photography and abstract all beautifully taken and seen - that it can't be just the camera that makes the 'look'. Ok the camera and lens superb quality, sensor, firmware play their part but there must be more to it. Is it that good photographers who can already take beautiful pictures are attracted to this camera. Or is it that using this camera and the way it is operated instils a certain 'different' mindset into those are fortunate to pick one up. It makes us see things differently.

So it's a credit to all who have posted photographs here - keep it up! I won't say 'great capture' because the word capture suggests that the subject resisted arrest.

Nigel

I agree Nigel it think both of them that makes the distinctive looks

the good photographers who can already take beautiful pictures are definitely attracted to this camera so the perfect combination just there to begin with.

And the way it is operated instils a certain 'different' mindset into those are fortunate to pick one up.

The more I use it, the more I appreciate the B&W ability of my LC1 - the shots below were taken playing around one night at home, with a Marumi close up filter (+3) and are straight out of the camera. ISO200, contrast high, no post processing. I think they've come out pretty well, and I have used no other digital camera that could rival these JPEGs straight out of the box:

776932549_8TbSH-L.jpg

776932075_sxiky-L.jpg

776931638_ZkSpH-L.jpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First test shot from newbie new hobby, straight from camera un-touched..simply amazing camera..:rolleyes:.

Selfridges Birmingham

So much for the black-and-white... ;)

Here are two coloured images.... a fruit stall in a market in Barcelona, and a street scenery during Christmas time in Colmar.

Best regards, Peter.

Superb, are these straight from the camera?

Never. - Everything I shoot gets a touch of brightness/exposure adjustment and edge sharpening.

Even though the camera generates fantastic jpgs, a digital file needs post processing. To assume firmware can be written to accommodate every image/setting variable would be to assume that there is some sort of automation we all could own that would correct every image perfectly.

Thankfully, for us humans, that's just not possible.

I view post processing as a continuation of the process of "making" a photo... as opposed to "taking" a photo.

But, it's minimal "finish" work... not Photochop or massive pixel manipulation. It's necessary.

JT

Hi guys,

I'm waiting for my new-used D2 bought from Leica Shop Berlin and serviced and cecked last september 09. I've paid it 500€ with 1 year warranty, is it too much for you?

As soon I'll receive I'll post some photos!

Manuele-

Not too much at all - IMO. Other than an M8/9, there's no other camera I'd rather own.

Alberto

Hi guys,

I'm waiting for my new-used D2 bought from Leica Shop Berlin and serviced and cecked last september 09. I've paid it 500€ with 1 year warranty, is it too much for you?

Manuele-

Seems like a good deal to me! It appears that dealers prices may be lagging behind fleabay prices at the moment. Maybe the dealers are not reading this thead and are unaware of the semi-cult status of this camera. I paid a fair bit more for my mint D2 on fleabay but am very happy that I bought it.

Look forward to seeing some of your pictures taken with it.

Nigel