Do Digilux 2 photos have distinctive look?

A client just made a Facebook profile and linked to a slideshow I did a year ago. I had a look and was actually blown away by the look of the images. If someone else had done it, I would feel tempted to ask what camera it was made with, but as I shot it all I happen to know which :rolleyes: and it's 98% Digilux 2 shots, if not all 100%.

overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard Official Homepage

And once again, you confirm your status as the Mac Daddy of White Balance. Damn!!! Good stuff.

JT

And once again, you confirm your status as the Mac Daddy of White Balance. Damn!!! Good stuff.

Yes. To remember an American laundry detergent ad, your whites are whiter than white. This must have been with a white/gray card, or an Expodisc. Again, thanks for the tutorial at your site on white balance.

Well, this thread seems to go on and on. Please forgive my enthusiasm in mentioning what most people on this forum will already know, but I got this camera only a day ago.

I'll have to get used to the electronic viewfinder. It's a bit small and difficult to follow peoples expressions, then there's the lag etc. but, what the heck, you can't have everything, and what you do get with this camera is the wonderful lens which seems to get more out of this 5Mpx sensor than is actually there. Another amazing fact is that it seems possible to hand hold this camera down to around 1 sec.because of its completely vibration free and virtually silent shutter. This is sooo special after that awful clacking M8, and an important point as I'm probably thinking this camera is restricted to 100 iso for jpegs.

Could someone please tell me what firmware should be on the camera and whether Leica did any updates. And where is the firmware information on the camera?

I haven't done any sharpening on these files, just adjusted the colour a bit. Do others think the camera has a tendency to err on the green/cyan side. I had the setting on auto colour.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Seagulls.

Romanesque church

Not too much barrel distortion on this great lens.

Cleaning tombstone in graveyard. This shot is a little over exposed. I'm thinking that the camera exposure lever got moved inadvertently from multi-field to centre weighted. I'll have to watch out for this.

Café window

I shot this as a shutter lag test. I wanted the woman in white to be in the centre of the posts, but she's too far over. Shutter or viewfinder lag? Or maybe my fault! But has anyone else been bothered by this? I'll perhaps have to shoot a little early.

All in all I'm really pleased with this camera. It's becoming a real classic.

Jeffrey.

My little contibution in Digilux 2 forum

i love the camera ,has been used profesionaly,image quality at the top.auto focus slow and failing often,shutter lug longer than what compared with later cameras,hope the circuits will work for long a very lovely camera for pro and art photography,rather slow for high demand street photography but with technique development can work-prefocus,hyper focal distance,pre setting the exposure.I deeply hope that Leica will consider an evolution of the same ergonomics and style with some more up to date software and processors ,i would instantly buy two at any price.

EVF extremely useful in composition.I deeply wish DLUX 4 to have one soon with the new Epson high Q EVF technology.

Compared to DLUX 4 i like to use Digilux 2 in day time as EVF is a mandatory for precise work-DLUX 4 has higher IQ but ergonomics -and size- can be more helpfull with Digilux 2 in many occasions.People are afraid of 5MP in the 10MP world but as you can see in my attachments below Digilux 2 holds a higher ground.All of my friends who sold that camera they regret it every day since.

On Black: milos in © by Angelos Viskadourakis [Large]

On Black: IOANNINA LAKE by Angelos Viskadourakis [Large]

On Black: DESSERT © by Angelos Viskadourakis [Large]

On Black: torch light © by Angelos Viskadourakis [Large]

400 iso 4 stops underexposed -4ev.Lens flare was added in post.

Flickr: Angelos Viskadourakis' Photostream

:)

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

I shot this as a shutter lag test. I wanted the woman in white to be in the centre of the posts, but she's too far over. Shutter or viewfinder lag? Or maybe my fault! But has anyone else been bothered by this? I'll perhaps have to shoot a little early.

Was autofocus on? The D2's autofocus is not very fast.

What type of sensor does the D2 have? CCD or CMOS? I'm tempted to add one to my collection. How big can you print? Just how bad is the shutter lag?

You can print A4 easily, and there's no shutter delay but a focus delay (sometimes). If you look through the EVF, focus on something and then lock the focus, there will be no delay. But if you point the camera, press the shutter, there will be from no delay to a quite annoying long one till the AF finds the focus.

Though in most daylight and well lit conditions, the AF functions very well. I've actually never looked what it has the easiest focusing at, because its never really a problem. Only I've observed that the AF doesn't like being pointed towards an even colored wall in white with no structure. And smoke is not good either (as on a stage, which is the same for many other AF systems)

You can print A4 easily, and there's no shutter delay but a focus delay (sometimes). If you look through the EVF, focus on something and then lock the focus, there will be no delay. But if you point the camera, press the shutter, there will be from no delay to a quite annoying long one till the AF finds the focus.

Though in most daylight and well lit conditions, the AF functions very well. I've actually never looked what it has the easiest focusing at, because its never really a problem. Only I've observed that the AF doesn't like being pointed towards an even colored wall in white with no structure. And smoke is not good either (as on a stage, which is the same for many other AF systems)

I'm not completely convinced at this early stage that there's not a little delay, but I hope you're right. I understand the pressing the shutter to fix focus and wait for whatever it is you want to capture, as I worked this way with an Olympus C5050 which I used professionally (by choice) for several years because of its quiet shutter and fast lens. But having had the Digilux 2 for only two days I know I'm going to love this camera. I just have an instinctive feeling that this camera is special!

Jeffrey.

Angelos,

what beautiful fotos are hidden behind your links. very fine light. and at the one with the boy and his lamp you can see, that noise is not noise. because the noise on the left side creates, with the composition of the whole picture, a very special "structured" athmosphere.

amazing.

mathias

This camera obviously has a real following. I came across what looked like a good deal today and got myself a D2, mostly for leisure. I have never found a "leisure" camera that I liked so I hope this one will do the job. I'm impressed with a lot of what I've seen here. It won't replace my M8 but I do like the fact it has the appearance of a rangefinder. Wish me luck!

Cheers!

One think I like to do with my Digilux 2 is to take pictures of leaves (that are coloured in autumn) with the sun shining through. Here is one example.

Best regards, Peter.

• Like 1

Angelos,

Thank you for sharing such beautiful Digilux 2 pictures with us. One link wouldn't work without authority, but the others worked well, particularly those rendering large images.

The landscape with lake and sky is simply beautiful. Others, presumably from your country, give great insight into character and life-style. Truly educational!

One image (Torchlight) with extremely tricky lighting has been handled in a truly remarkable way. Congratulations. Enjoy your D2.

Edited by wda
Added 'Torchlight'

Took the D2 with me to capture some pretty important pictures of my newborn daughter.

Nobody really noticed I took pictures:-)

(WB set on BW, iso 100, files straight from the camera)

Martin

• Like 1