APO-Extender-R 1.4x, 2x fit on which lens?

k-hawinkler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the removing ROM strip comment, I imagined the lever would not hit anything in its swing path. Guess not.

I tried my non-ROM 2x apo extender on my 3 ROM R lenses (180/2.8 apo, 80-200/4 and 28-90/2.8-4.5 Asph) and found out that the aperture linkage lever is not hitting the ROM strip. It has to do with lens construction. The lever actually just clear the inner edge of the ROM strip, but if the rear element of the lens (such as the 80-200/4 and 28-90/2.8-4.5 asph) is almost on the same level of the ROM strip, then the gap between the ROM strip and the rear lens housing is too narrow for the lever to pass through. In this case, you have to manually move the lever out of the way. In the case of the 180/2.8 apo, the rear lens element is positioned forward of the ROM strip, therefore the level can go further in and can be mounted without any problem.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As others have noted, the aperture control lever on a pre-ROM 2x extender interferes with the ROM contact strip on a ROM-equipped R lens (I have an APO-2x pre-ROM and a 100 APO-Macro with ROM contacts, and the ROM contacts on the lens interfere with the aperture control lever on the extender). I can get the pair to couple when I use K-H's approach (thanks!), but in the field I imagine doing so would be cumbersome at the least.

I notice that the ROM contact strip appears to be held to the back of the lens by two screws. Has anyone tried just unscrewing those two screws and removing the contact strip altogether, thus eliminating the source of interference? I don't use my R bodies anymore, and would only use the R lenses on a micro 4/3 (with R adapter) or (better yet) on a new M.

Any insights would be appreciated, thanks much.

• 4 weeks later...
I am considering purchasing a pre-apo elmarit 180mm (version 2) for use on an R7 and would like to use it occasionally with an apo extender. Can anyone please tell me which (if any) extenders are compatible with this lens?

Cheers

What is the product number of that lens?

I have a ROM #11923 and after pushing and holding the square lever over on my non-ROM 1.4x it fits on the lens, Ser #3428xxx.

Doing the same thing on my 2x non-ROM it also fits, Ser # 3666xxx.

Trust this helps. Been out of town thus sorry for the delay. Sent you a PM.

• 11 months later...
Reading all of the posts in this thread, my question is, whether a ROM version 2x will not have these issues while mounting ROM lens? My 100 and 80-200 are ROM ver.

Well, it would be a pretty poor do if a rom extender didn't work properly with a rom lens! But, just to check, I put my 2x apo extender rom on my R9, and mounted my 100/2.8 apo macro elmarit rom without any problem. The correct "doubled" f number was displayed in the viewfinder (for example when f/22 is selected on the lens, the extender conveys f/45 to the camera). I haven't got an 80-200 so I can't comment on that.

Well, it would be a pretty poor do if a rom extender didn't work properly with a rom lens! But, just to check, I put my 2x apo extender rom on my R9, and mounted my 100/2.8 apo macro elmarit rom without any problem. The correct "doubled" f number was displayed in the viewfinder (for example when f/22 is selected on the lens, the extender conveys f/45 to the camera). I haven't got an 80-200 so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the reply. With all due respect, I thought they were saying mounting a ROM lens on APO extender before mounting on a R9, if they have one (R9). I don't recall anyone in this thread tried a ROM lens on ROM extender, sorry if I missed, will that still require the lever trick?

Thanks for the reply. With all due respect, I thought they were saying mounting a ROM lens on APO extender before mounting on a R9, if they have one (R9). I don't recall anyone in this thread tried a ROM lens on ROM extender, sorry if I missed, will that still require the lever trick?

Sorry on my part for misunderstanding you question! I've just tried mounting the 2x apo rom extender and the 100/2.8 macro rom on my R9 in the "wrong order" (that is extender to lens first, then combination on to camera) and I can get away with it. I suspect it might depend on the particular lens one is trying to mount.

Sorry on my part for misunderstanding you question! I've just tried mounting the 2x apo rom extender and the 100/2.8 macro rom on my R9 in the "wrong order" (that is extender to lens first, then combination on to camera) and I can get away with it. I suspect it might depend on the particular lens one is trying to mount.

I just got a non-ROM APO 2x extender today, I found that R8 does not show aperture reading in all program modes, P and T modes are not functioning, it shows the shutter speed only but it does react properly while I change aperture, so they are literally all A mode. I googled around and seems this was stated in APO manual that R8 only support M and A mode, can anyone confirm? If this is the case, strangely, my R5 works perfectly on all program modes. Does it function properly on T mode with ROM lens+ROM APO?

I just got a non-ROM APO 2x extender today, I found that R8 does not show aperture reading in all program modes, P and T modes are not functioning, it shows the shutter speed only but it does react properly while I change aperture, so they are literally all A mode. I googled around and seems this was stated in APO manual that R8 only support M and A mode, can anyone confirm? If this is the case, strangely, my R5 works perfectly on all program modes. Does it function properly on T mode with ROM lens+ROM APO?

With apo rom extender and lens, my R9 displays aperture and shutter speed in all modes, and gives the same indicated exposure.However, I think that the reason that Leica do not recommend P and T modes with the extender is that the camera has to stop down the lens to the required aperture at exposure, and they cannot guarantee proper stop-down dynamics through the additional linkage. In M and A mode, it only has to stop down to a "hard" preselected aperture limit on the lens.

As a matter of interest, when a rom extender is fitted, the camera always seems to try to get its aperture information from the rom chip, and not the linkage, so that if a non rom lens is then fitted, no aperture information is displayed in any mode.

However, I've no experience of what happens in your case with a non rom extender. The behavioiur you observe may be completely normal. If you get aperture displayed in M and A modes, I wouldn't worry, since in any case they are the only modes which are recommended to be used.

Mine (rom) needs the fiddle on the Vario-Elmar 105-280 (rom).

These levers can bend a little bit without impairing function, that might explain the difference in findings.

• Like 1

Yes, it doubtless varies from lens to lens, and possibly (probably?) from sample to sample. But whatever the reason, it's no inconvenience to do the mounting in the order recommended by Leica ;).

Well, if you use these lenses and extenders with adapters on a non-Leica camera you don't get any of these niceties. In that case fiddle the lens onto the extender first, then mount via adapter onto the camera. Works for me.

Of course, not all lenses can be attached to the 1.4x extender. IIRC one has to be particularly careful with zoom lenses. I believe, for a certain zoom setting one can attach the 80-200 lens to the 1.4x extender - but one shouldn't as one will bang glass into glass when changing the focal length. Luckily I noticed this problem ahead of time and avoided any damage. :-)

Edited by k-hawinkler

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I have an M10 with M-R-Adapter and a APO-Telyt-R 1:3,4/180 ROM-Version. I bought a APO-Extender 2x without ROM. I can only fit it with manually shift the aperture-lever from the backside of the Extender. Is that ok ore is there any other hint? Has anyone a copy of the instruction?