Light Lens Lab 1.4x Magnifier

AceVentura1986

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have LLL 1,4x viewfinder magnifier on my Leica M9M.
She have 0,68x viewfinder magnification.
With LLL 1,4x on that give 0,952x viewfinder magnification
and 50mm frame lines are visible but little bit further to the side
as 35mm ones with out LLL 1,4x mag on. 

If I want to se them all together then I must press my eye in the LLL 1,4x mag. 
Not a big problem , only that is little bit uncomfortable but you get used to it.
Most of the time I just move my head little bit left and right and that way it is easy 
to se the frame lines on the sides. Not a big deal... If you look little bit more to the sides
you can even recognise the 35mm frame lines.

The focusing is much faster and precise with this mounted on the camera and that
is worth the inconvenience. Also with vario diopter I have little bit corrected my
myopia but since I have astigmatism I still have problems with focusing...
Anyway I recommend this LLL 1,4x viewfinder magnifier who need one and don't 
know is this one good or not...

Nikola

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LEGEND said:

Also with vario diopter I have little bit corrected my
myopia but since I have astigmatism I still have problems with focusing...

Hopefully you have glasses to correct for astigmatism.  A magnifier will magnify uncorrected issues.  

My 1.25x Leica magnifier has stayed in a drawer since 2009. It reduces contrast and doesn’t substitute for eyeglass correction (astigmatism and distance for me). An additional +.5 diopter, with aging eyes, allows for optimal focusing and still clear view of frame lines (using thin, flexible eyeglass frames). 

Personal circumstances and preferences vary.  But easy to experiment.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I know, I need glasses to correct my astigmatism.
I don't wear wear them when I use my Leica cameras and even during the day.
It is very irritating if I have them on and it also disturb me by shooting...

Now I have little bit corrected my weak myopia that I have, -0,75D on my left eye
that is also dominant eye so I use my MM with him. I tried to use right eye now when I have 
viewfinder of 0,952x with both eyes open but still better work with my left eye...

I keep my right eye open by shooting , no need to close it because camera body cover it.
That way I still have some peripheral vision from the right side and also if I want to se more I 
just lover the camera just a little bit from my eye and look over her. No need to completely 
put her down from my head and it goes very fast...

The same is if I have problems to see 50mm frame lines.
The 50mm frame lines are visible but you need to centre your eye in the view finder.
They are just on the edge but if I am in the hurry with small movement of the camera body 
left and right I se the frame line easily. That is enough and goes fast. You need just some practice
and after little bit of time you stop thinking about it.The same is with having opened right eye
and looking over the camera body if needed...

I did't noticed any significant loss of contrast because of this LLL 1,4x magnifier.
Even if there is some the fact that my myopia is corrected with vario diopter and view finder
enlarged to 0,952x the focusing got so much better that is worth it to have this mounted
when I use 50mm lens...

Sorry for my bad English. It is not my native language and I refuse to use ChatGPT for correction...

Nikola

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

About a month ago, I had LLL rep in Canada sitting at my living room presenting the LLL 50mm f/1.2 + 1.4X magnifier, totalling about USD 1900.

I didn't take it.

1.4X is a hit and miss. Most of the time I struggle to find the 50mm frameline. As for 50mm f/1.2 it's another story.