35mm Summilux ASPH. vd 35mm Summilux ASPHERICAL

IWC Doppel

Hi

I will hopefully have the time to get my tripod out and take a few more shots and possibly take a few in comparison to the FLE on Sunday

Regarding focus shift there is some you can measure my ASPH. Is spot on at 1.4 then back focuses a little, however the increase in the DOF masks this so at f2 and 2.8 it is still okay in reality. I have never noticed my ASPH. being out although I can 'measure' it at probably 10mm. The bottle above is taken at f2.

The ASPHERICAL is the same but to an even smaller extent, perhaps half as much. I think if they are set to 1m and f1.4 then the focus shift issue on the ASPH. Let alone the ASPHERICAL is not an issue.

My 50 Summilux pre Asph has more focus shift than both of the above

• Like 1

A shot at ISO 800 B&W jpg no processing, I do love the image depth this lens creates :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I took the little fellow out again today and was reminded just how great this lens is, it reminds me of my 50 Summilux VII for rendering of light. Another at f1.4 I focussed on the large blister in the centre of frame. It's a real shame they couldn't remanufacture with modern production techniques, I am sure this is every bit as sharp as the FLE in the centre

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add a couple of recent shots from the 35mm ASPHERICAL , f1.4 with a little desaturation and a small amount of 'clarity' plus B&W jpg straight out at F2.8

• Like 1

Interesting comparisons, which IMHO only show that the extremely collectible ASPHERICAL is not worth buying as a user lens as it does not appear to offer much if anything by way of desirable traits over the ASPH. If anything, the latter produces better OOF areas and a less busy look.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I managed to get the tripod out this morning and here are three B&W jpg straight out of the 35mm Summilux ASPH 11874 and the 35mm Summilux ASPHERICAL 11873. I am hoping to borrow from a friend the .FLE current version for direct comparison on a tripod shortly.

The order is 11874, then 11873 starting at f1.4 then f2.8 then f5.6. All Auto and ISO 160 a grey morning so light a little flat.

I have decided to sell my 11874, as similar as it is, there is something about the 11873 the more characterful bokeh, the colouring (You will note the B&W tones somehow look a little more classic) and it has a little more depth. Which given the APSH is already top draw here to my eyes really makes me want to keep the ASPHRERICAL. Batmobile you are right in many ways but get them side by side on a large screen and you can see notable differences.

Finally if I do sell the ASPHERICAL I know I will never buy it back again. I sold my 911 C2RS after 10 years of ownership in 1998, a big mistake !

My grid is not perfectly straight but...

I'm with Batmobile on this. I'm sure it is nice owning/using a collectible like the ASPHERICAL but it really doesn't seem to have any tangible benefit (in terms of improving a photograph) over the other ASPH Summiluxes.

(I suspect someone will shortly add that the differences are only really visible "in print".)