Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the sidecar may be either home made or a donation from a different motorcycle but I might be wrong. The passenger had obviously gone rigid with fear during his trip to this event, from his wooden expression. 

The trumpet is not for a bulb horn as I originally thought but a forced air intake device to pressurise the auxiliary fuel tank sitting in the side car, maybe for a long distance event. 

Wilson

• Haha 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Rona!d:

I thought it was quite amusing presenting you guys SUCH a Ferrari 😉

As Wilson previously mentioned the Puch Haflinger, I´d like to share a most entertaining Steyr-Puch Haflinger promotion film from 1962 (you can forward to 5:42 min. for the driving scenes). Apologize for the poor quality, but the off-road abilities of the Haflinger are shown to perfection here in this film. I always loved it since I saw it climb like a moutain goat in Austria and Switzerland when I was a little kid. Maybe it could be a good substitute for the big Unimog my wife wouldn´t permit me to buy. I saw one in our little village, maybe I should ask the owner for a test drive.

Over to you, Wilson!

Nice video! Something in between the Haflinger and the Unimog would be the Puch Pinzgauer (I think the two-axle version still counts as a car and not a truck like the three-axle). This was my car as driver during military service. Very good in the mountains (you only had to be careful not top-over to the side due to the high center of mass). Also terrific on the highway (if covered by snow ;-)).

Edited by a.j.z
  • Like 3

Is that a “bike pump” mounted near the “horn”?  
The frame seems quite rudimentary for something wearing racing numbers but my knowledge of bikes consists only of those I’ve owned. A Gilera 50 scrambler as my first schoolboy personal transport and then a series of modern Vespas before London became too dicey IMHO and I reverted to a car (just before I had to collect my wife and newborn from Chelsea + Westminster hospital...😉)

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, Rona!d said:

Ferves Ranger, made in Turin by Carlo Ferrari.

Ferrari is the plural of Ferraro (Blacksmith in Italian), so a very common name. The company name FERVES comes from FERrari VEicoli Speciali.

And here a link to the 2019 Monterey RM Sotheby´s auction where it nearly hit the 200.000,-$ sound barrier. In 2020 they found another 2WD example which was below 50.000,-$. I guess after the 2019 auction result many people remembered their Ranger and the hype started.

It is made from parts of the FIAT 500 and 600.

Sorry for intermixing... and for having lost a car that I had recognized from the first picture... 😎 was the only off road that we have at home, for 20 days or so.. my father, as a Fiat dealer, was offered to try to sell in our town and had one on loan, to evaluate and show... but at the end the biz wasn't closed... I was 10 years old and made a 2 or 3 trips with it... was a sort of toy... but mechanically honest... probably the manufacturer was inspired by Steyr Puch Haflinger which enjoied a certain success in Italy,, and Ranger costed 1/3 less. I confess that even didn't know that a 4x4 version was made too... the one we had at home was 2WD and the commercial leaflet didn't speak of 4WD option.

Incredibli TINY... we were amused that could make a U turn into our 1-car garage...  I have this old official document with dimensions :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shot in France not in India. I think that "racing" would be somewhat beyond the capabilities of this machine. A gentle rally would be more its forte. The bike itself is pretty standard and from one of the largest makers of its nation. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Not Peugeot. This company made a light delivery vehicle in the early 1960's, a bit like a 4 wheel version of the Piaggio Ape. I suspect like many motorcycle companies in the early 1920's, they may also have experimented with cyclecars but I cannot find any photographic evidence of this. 

Wilson

I was more leaning towards Motobecane.

I have to say that my knowledge (if it can be called that) of the French motorcycle industry through the years is woefully lacking. I'm very interested in giving it more thought and will enjoy the denouement...

Philip.

8 hours ago, pippy said:

I was more leaning towards Motobecane.

I have to say that my knowledge (if it can be called that) of the French motorcycle industry through the years is woefully lacking. I'm very interested in giving it more thought and will enjoy the denouement...

Philip.

Correct Philip. To be exact a Motobecane D45A of 125cc, single cylinder side valve, from around 1949-50 and what a ball of fire that must have been. Your turn. This was taken at the classic and historic rally at Plan de la Tour in the Var. I love the way the headlight has been reversed for aerodynamic purposes. Must have added at least 0.05 KPH to the top speed. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

OK; something hardly more exotic!

Usual sort of info, please, and just as much as anyone can offer-up. Not sure if this will be far too easy or not...

Philip.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:02 AM, NigelG said:

Is that a “bike pump” mounted near the “horn”?...

I missed this bit earlier somehow......:huh:......

Yes; when I first saw Wilson's opening photograph the pump - oddly enough - caught my attention (auld lang syne in cycle-sport) and is, I believe, a 'Bluemels AFA' which was a French product that became incredibly popular - and rightly so - during my earliest racing days in the mid-'70s so that made me think about the subject-matter as possibly hailing from Gaul which thought the later post (#16647) seemed to support.

The more I look at the photo of the whole thing the more I'd like to inspect the 'bike at close range and in more detail; there is so much of interest going on in that strange little thing that needs - and deserves - to be explored!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pippy said:

OK; something hardly more exotic!

Usual sort of info, please, and just as much as anyone can offer-up. Not sure if this will be far too easy or not...

Philip.

A Japanese of the "360 cc breed" ?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

A Japanese of the "360 cc breed" ?

Ah!

Not Japanese, Luigi - originally sourced a bit closer to 'home' (I suspect; although this particluar vehicle comes from marginally further afield) - but the power-plant capacity is only slightly out (on the 'downside' of things).

Philip.

Edited by pippy