Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Witton/Thoroughbred/Merlin Tiger is a British kit car with a Morgan-ish flavour. It could be fitted with various engines, often the Ford Cologne V6 in various sizes and powers. There was a version called a Burlington SS that was even more like a Morgan and resulted in a court cease and desist order from Morgan. They all used a Triumph Herald frame and swing axle rear suspension. This must have been interesting with a 140HP V6. 

Wilson

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I wonder if it is an Excalibur SS from the flexy exhausts. Were they fake? 

Wilson

Genuine exhausts.  A Studebaker V8 engine.  One of my daughters with the owner.   IMHO, not a pleasant car other than extraordinary acceleration.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hektor
typo
  • Like 2

I think Stuart should be the next to post as he mentioned the Excalibur in passing before I did. It may not be a great car but then an original SSK/SSKL is not great to drive either. They have extremely heavy steering and when the supercharger is engaged with the kick down switch, it sounds like a bucket of bolts being shaken, followed by a piercing shriek when the blow off port opens, as the supercharger spools down. How someone like Caracciola drove one of these for close to 24 hours in the 1929 Le Mans, amazes me. The Speed Six Bentley is a much nicer car to drive and makes almost as much power naturally aspirated as the SSK makes with the supercharger (200 BHP for a full race Speed Six against 230 for the Mercedes).

Wilson

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I think Stuart should be the next to post as he mentioned the Excalibur in passing before I did. It may not be a great car but then an original SSK/SSKL is not great to drive either. They have extremely heavy steering and when the supercharger is engaged with the kick down switch, it sounds like a bucket of bolts being shaken, followed by a piercing shriek when the blow off port opens, as the supercharger spools down. How someone like Caracciola drove one of these for close to 24 hours in the 1929 Le Mans, amazes me. The Speed Six Bentley is a much nicer car to drive and makes almost as much power naturally aspirated as the SSK makes with the supercharger (200 BHP for a full race Speed Six against 230 for the Mercedes).

Wilson

Agreed.  Apologies for the lack of sharpness.  Not a fast enough shutter speed and a vibrating SSK.

• Like 4

The Bentley Speed Six I had, the Rabagliati Brooklands Special, had a body made by H.M.Bentley (W.O.'s brother) in 1934, after shortening and lowering the chassis. It was deliberately was made to look like an SSK, with a sloping back, cut-away doors etc. 

Wilson

I confess I thought the Excalibur cars were rebodied cars not complete production models  - I think the later versions look so ersatz that I assumed they were part of the “kitcar” world - but should have realised they were more Panther Kallista than Merlin Tiger.

i think there’s an old photo of Tony Curtis in one?

Thank you Hektor.  Let's try this one:

Nothing?  Not even a continent?  Well, let's widen the crop