Name this car....

We are certainly getting warmer!

Another clue;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Philip, 

Type 40 (better known in the UK as "The Molsheim Morris Cowley) maybe? 

Wilson

Apologies to the current quizmaster for going off at a tangent for a moment (apology accepted; Carry On!) but Wilson's comment made me curious as to which model of Bugatti was shown at the rear of my snap......and (even) using the www has not helped me much. Using the Type 40 as a starting point there seems to be similarities of the museum car to the Type 43 but the sculpturing of the scuttle-cowl is like nothing I've (so far) been able to track down.

Anyone any more clues? My thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!

Here's a tighter - and Technicolor! - crop from the original;

Philip.

6 minutes ago, NigelG said:

I think it’s a  1929 / 1930 type 40 roadster judging by the distinctive bonnet lines.  Very rare (maybe 50 or so?)

Thank you for backing up Wilson's thoughts on the matter, Nigel!

I couldn't see any T.40 with a similar radiator nor bonnet but my search abilities are quite at the 'beginner' level all things considered.

Back to the  task at hand!

Philip.

I wonder if the bonnet is too long for a Type 40, given that that would only be covering a small 1571cc 4 cylinder type 37 engine. I wonder if it might be a type 44 with the 3 litre single cam straight eight. That was brought out after the very disappointing sales of the Type 41, for customers looking for less of a racing car but more performance than the Type 40. A lot of the 44's had very staid and pedestrian coachwork put on their chassis. Bugatti realised that they were over-burdened by heavy bodies and later brought out the larger engined 4.9L type 46. The Type 46 chassis was considerably more expensive than the Type 44 and nearly three times the price of a Type 40 and consequently attracted a far more wealthy clientele. The Type 46 chassis often therefore have gorgeous bodywork, from the likes of Gangloff, Figoni & Falaschi and Saoutchik. 

Wilson

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Several have sold over the last few years - Bonhams had one last year. Below is a link to an old RM Sotheby’s sale page with good photos of the bonnet area of another example.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/PA14/Paris/lots/r112-1930-bugatti-type-40-roadster/180956#

(You can also see how the circular motif is echoed in the door cards / seat backs)

Edited by NigelG
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NigelG said:

...(You can also see how the circular motif is echoed in the door cards / seat backs)...

By George I think you've cracked it, Nigel. Stunning car into the bargain! If that's what the cabbies in Molsheim drive then all I've got to say is "Taxi...!!!"...

Anyhow; Back to the mystery Lamborghini Espada Prototype car;

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Hello Jim.

Yes. It's a beautifully fettled 1947 ex-police MG TC. Here are a few views of the whole;

Over to you for the next conundrum!

Philip.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

That's very nice Philip!

One of my Morgan pals has recently bought the same.  He's a retired policeman - though the car pre-dates his service time (by a large margin)! :)

:lol:

Yes; it really was a beautiful car 'in the flesh'. I've always had a soft spot for the TA to TD range. Considering it wasn't a ferociously expensive model in its day(*) I found the quality of the detailing quite exquisite. I wish your friend a great many happy years of motoring in his retirement!

Philip.

EDIT (*) : approximately £21,000 / $27,000 in today's terms.

Edited by pippy

For the next one, how about this:

On 11/12/2020 at 10:49 AM, hektor said:

Vauxhall Velox utility, unique to Australia (1952-1957)

Yes, Vauxhall Velox ute it is.  Over to you for the next one.

13 hours ago, NigelG said:

I think Holden actually modified the Vauxhalls into “utes” once they arrived in Oz (in bits) as they were coachbuilders before they became carmakers per se.

And there was also the two door convertible Vauxhall Vagabond, which was another Australian only Vauxhall.

Holden were coachbuilders (quite literally so, as the company was founded in 1856) and built bodies for almost any make of car imaginable before their acquisition by General Motors in 1926, after which they gradually began to concentrate on GM vehicles, although they continued to build bodies for other makes into the 1930s (Hillman, Fiat, Studebaker, Wolseley, Austin and Jowett are a few that come to mind)

• Like 1

On the subject of Holden before the 48-215, towards the end of the 1930s, Holden built rather stylish two door fastback bodies on American chassis (mainly Chevrolet and Oldsmobile, I think) that Holden called "All Enclosed Coupes" but were generally referred to as "Slopers".  Here's a link to a page about Holden bodied Oldsmobiles, including the "Sloper".

http://www.oldsmobileinaustralia.info/37hist.html

Edited by Jim J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Apologies for the delay.  It has been a very busy week.