Name this car....

I originally thought there might be a hint of Borgward in the styling but the mesh grille is more Auto Union / DKW (I can’t think of another major contemporary German marque using mesh grilles...)

Also the slightly curious side windows, the detail at the screen head and the lumpy bonnet trim all look a bit clumsy/“amateurish” - maybe a small/low production model or a reworking?

Maybe the single wiper is a clue?

It‘s a serial maker who made several thousand cars but this model is indeed „low production“ to be precise this is a one-off „show car“ for investor/customer fishing and advertising a new series to come which (with other different bodies) did not fire like it should have and remained pretty low production.

As you can imagine from this hint we are not talking about Borgward or Auto Union/DKW. BUT this maker really exported his best selling car (somehow). In my archive I have a copy of a contract proposal of a car dealer in Chicago/Illinois go figure! (Didn‘t happen I think).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Goggomobil Dart was to the best of my recollection a uniquely Australian car.  There were a number on the roads when I was a boy, and I am pretty sure the engine was bigger than the 250cc mentioned by Rona!d

Edited by hektor
typo

Not a Goggo/Dart. "Special" could be a hint though.

====

(There were 3 sizes of Goggo engines: 247cc, 296cc, 395cc. Glas, the maker of the Goggo considered the same 250cc ILO engine my riddle car uses but it was too expensive for Glas, so Glas hired an Ex-Adler engineer to make them an engine. At the first test run on the work bench that Goggo engine had malfunctions and while that happened also the engineer got a stroke he never recovered from. With that trouble the Glas people called Mahle piston factory and used a little trick to get help. They told Mahle that the new engine only works with other makers pistons but has malfunctions with Mahle pistons. Mahle invited them to come to their factory test department where all the bugs of the engine - not the pistons!- were found and solved. Cheap for Glas factory)

Unfortunately I cannot post a wider shot of the riddle car, it shows already nearly the whole car (about 75%).

Another hint: The volume model of the maker in question even had a smaller engine than this one and no reverse gear which my riddle car has. The volume model was famous for it´s light weight so even a tiny engine allowed good performance for it´s size. The competitors cars were about 180 - 200% heavier.

OK, close enough. There were four different F250:

• F250 Super (was planned for the serial production but only 22 made)
  • F250 S  (3-seater with center driver seat, 1x made)
  • F 250 C (Coupe, 1 made)
  • F 250 Spezial (this car, the private demo-roadster of Paul Kleinschnittger, 1 x made)

Here the F250 Spezial.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

The RM sale catalogue for the Weiner sale in 2013 has an F-125 with 2 amusing accompanying original photos - one showing the car being held (by the windscreen surround) tipped at a 45deg angle by a young man while a colleague inspects the underbody, and the second showing a woman in the process of lifting the rear of the car (I think to position it next to the kerb while parking).

It also notes that the seats were stuffed with dried grass!

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 3

Nigel, the F-125 had no reverse gear, you had to lift the car for turning or positioning it. 😉 So photos of people lifting their vehicle wasn´t just a joke (only for spectators).

When I was a little boy I saw one in a micro car collection and said to my dad: Funny, when I´m older, I want one. He replied: No, you don´t want a roundabout car. I pointed on a Peel P50 and Brütsch Mopetta nearby and said: "Dad, these are merry-go-round-cars, not the nice little Kleinschnittger Roadster!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is your next puzzle folks.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hektor is correct with French. It was in production, mainly unchanged other than increasing engine size for a long time, from 1930 to the mid 1950's. It was very advanced when first announced. The suspension designer is usually associated with a completely different product. 

Wilson