Ken Rockwell on Summilux 24/1.4

vintola

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I attribute greatest value to getting the shot in the first place. There are many shots that could be technically better than wide open on 35mm but almost all of them would never exist as large format negs.

Image quality is surely not the utmost concern. Image impact is. Plenty of technically imperfect images have had great impact on me and there are oceans of technically perfect but deathly dull images out there (the proportion going up substantially with format IMHO). I shoot 5x4 and 5x7 BTW, but only where appropriate. I dont try to shoot like I would with 35mm - horses for courses.

The 24mm Summilux is without doubt a fantastic lens. But the cost? Each to their own but I wonder why people invest so much money in the 35mm system. If you ever get to see 4x5 or 8x10 color negatives then you will change how you think about expensive gear. Image quality is teh utmost concern. For 1/3rd the price of teh 24mm summilux I could get my self a 4x5 view camera and shoot way beyond what digital can offer.

So whilst I disagree with Rockwell on a lot of things he does have a point about the summilux.

I agree getting the shot is the most important thing. The whole point of the lecia is that it's a small portable camera that can be used hand held in a variety of lighting. Comparing it's image quality to a large format on price alone is not moving the discussion forward. I have yet to see one image where the shortcomings of the Lecia 24 1.4 have taken away from the image presented. Now in saying that, I would love to see more images taken with the lecia 24 1.4. Is it possible that someone with the lens to post some low light shots at close to minimum focus with some bright lights in the back ground.

Gregory

... Is it possible that someone with the lens to post some low light shots at close to minimum focus with some bright lights in the back ground.

Gregory

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but one of my better images with the 24 Lux.

M8 - 24mm - f/1,4 - 1/30s - ISO640

p863916591-4.jpg

• 5 months later...

Rockwell can write what he wants but there is nothing that says you must pay attention. I don't make decisions on what to buy from reviews like that which are essentially amateur.

I do read with interest Sean Reid (very practical) and Puts (the ultimate in detail from interesting to incomprehensible), and Huff (entertaining and very unpompous). But I primarily look at what people are saying here - some very experienced and verybgood photographers. And look at images made with the lens - not test charts. Then I decide and then I see if there is enough money.

I waited quite a while on the 24 Summilux, and have used it frequently anf my own opinioon is that it is superb.

• Like 2

I cannot take read Rockwell or Putz or Reid anymore. Reid had those great reviews on voigtlander lenses that I hated Rockwell is a clown and Putz is simply incomprehensible for a non geek like me. I like Huff down to earth and practical. As far as the 24 is concerned I own it the 24 is a wide angle that is wide and not kind of in between like the 28 is to me. I have a wate 24 35 50 and 75 luxes ad a 90 cron. the 24 is great in low light that is what it is made for.

C'mon guys.... give Ken a break......

At least he is an active Leica promoter.

He has access to a wide variety of gear and unlike the rest of us has actually used, tested and compared it, plus has years of experience doing it.

You can't dismiss everything he says as rubbish. Ok, he has some forthright opinions but for most things his points are about nuances in optics that in the real world are not an issue.

He is pretty good at pointing out where you get good value for money and where the extra $ gets you very little additional real world performance.

You either love or hate these type of guys and views of their opinions tend to be dictated by that.

• Like 2

I can see how Ken sometimes says (or writes rather) things just for shock value. But if you weed through the BS, he is quite an honest reviewer. He critiques Leica equipment without the misguiding assumption that "because it's Leica and cost a fortune, it must be amazing" and quite frankly his results are as fair as they come.

This is EXACTLY why you buy this lens. Great shot.

So not much use in L.A.for this lens, since it rarely rains there :) .

70 day per year it could be occasionally that I don't fully enjoy the idea, that you, many others including friends in San Diego we visit and host regularly, have beautiful weather all through the year.

I bet there are more intersting 0.95Noct than 24/21 SX images around :cool: . A lot of test shots, many good ones and some, that are truely beautiful. Same goes for Zorki or Minolta pictures.

Cheers!

Aff

It's a terrific lens in real life!

I only miss the focus tab.

Could a forum member please name someone reliable IN EUROPE ( outside of the EC = :eek: customs, expensive shipping with insurance etc.) to add a tab to this lens and to the 75Cron?

For me they're both absolute keepers (6 all in all, nothing tempting on the horizon), since this add-on feature of mine would not raise their resale value.

Edited by Guest

I am not sure why Ken is so insistent that 24/25 mm is a odd focal length. It is fine on an M8 and it only takes a few minutes to learn how far you have to move camera side to side to get the VF frame edges on an M9 showing what you will get as an image. I do find I have to take my glasses off to get the best view. Having now had a Zeiss 25mm for a few weeks, I have found it is an ideal lens for interior shots. If I was taking shots for house brochures (I am not), it would be my lens length of choice. The 24/1.4 Summilux at over 5 times what I paid for my refurbished Biogon, was not in the budget, particularly as I saving up for a Noctilux but I am sure for low light shots of things like the inside of historic buildings, it is without peer. I personally feel the 21mm is the "in-between" length and I rarely use it on my WATE.

Wilson