Mysterious Summilux 75/1.4 focusing problem

dennersten

4 minutes ago, 69xchange said:

I see, that is true. I am debating if I should send the lens back to DAG for inspection to make sure everything is working properly. Just wanted to know if this is “normal” for the lens before sending it back

If it works fine for shorter distances, I'd be careful about sending it back, as you might risk it getting worse next time. 😬 But feel free to ask DAG if this is normal and if it is possible to do something about it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lct said:

I use my Summilux 75/1.4 less and less since i have a Nokton 75/1.5 but both focus normally in RF and LV mode so far. Strange that DAG could not fix the issue. Did they explain why?

He was able to fix the back focus issue, but now a new issue presents itself. The lux focuses perfectly wide open from MFD to about 25 feet, then from there on to infinity its severely front focus from f1.4-2.8. See picture attached where this picture was taken at 1.4 and infinity distance, but the actual focus point is no where near infinity.  The focus is about where the first black car on the right is or the bmw across from it on the left . The picture quality is low because I had to lower it but that’s where the focus point is when set to infinity and wide open. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Curious: why do you prefer the Nokton?

Sharper at f/1.4 with no significant focus shift, also shorter and lighter. Less dreamy on portrait though but each time i need a 75 for people i end up bringing the Nokton. For other purposes, i prefer the Summicron.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, lct said:

It is not normal at all. Some RF issue springs to mind. Did you send your M9 to DAG too?

Nope, my M9 focuses perfectly fine with all my other lenses at close and infinity distance such as my 35mm cron asph I, 35mm lux asph pre fle, 50mm cron v4/v5, 50mm lux pre asph, voigtlander 35mm 1.4 NC II. The M9 was also serviced in 2019 by Leica and hasn’t been used much lately until this year. Also the recently serviced 75mm Lux misbehaves the same with my M8. 

lastly, I was quite disappointed in the service because my Lux came back with some scratches on the front aperture blades and some slight oil on the rear after its trip to DAG..so it kind of makes me hesitant to send it back.

Edited by 69xchange

Just a thought from this former 75 lux user: there is a boiling point of frustration when over and over some crucial images made with this lens come out randomly OOF (I do not shoot with EVF or LV) and I have had it. I bought this lens for the classic Mandler look after my 75 Summarit was decentered BNIB but all it gave me was the stink eye. It was NOT user error, it was not miscalibration, it was not the camera bodies' fault... it was just impossible to contain its randomness.

I found a BNIB silver APO-Summicron 75 and it is just P.E.R.F.E.C.T... It may not have the Mandleresque mojo of the lux but boy what a pleasure this is to use. No FLE troubles on these lenses after 2020 so all in all uber happy.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 12:03 PM, 69xchange said:

He was able to fix the back focus issue, but now a new issue presents itself. The lux focuses perfectly wide open from MFD to about 25 feet, then from there on to infinity its severely front focus from f1.4-2.8. See picture attached where this picture was taken at 1.4 and infinity distance, but the actual focus point is no where near infinity.  The focus is about where the first black car on the right is or the bmw across from it on the left . The picture quality is low because I had to lower it but that’s where the focus point is when set to infinity and wide open. 

Exactly the issue that I have with my 75mm Summarit. Anyone know what might cause a lens to not be properly in focus at infinity, when these things also occur ….

- lens distance scale is bang on its infinity mark;

- when focusing on closer up images at any distance to roughly 10 metres, the accuracy is perfect and images are sharp;

- rangefinder patch when shooting at infinity is also bang on;

- the red lines through the Visoflex 2 also start to show up when shooting a distant subject at infinity, but I’ve assumed perhaps not reading too much into focus peaking?

…… and yet when I study the image on the computer ….the subject isn’t properly sharp at infinity, and instead what is in perfect focus is about 30-50 feet away. Just like 69xchange’s image above.

Any clues?

6 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Exactly the issue that I have with my 75mm Summarit. Anyone know what might cause a lens to not be properly in focus at infinity, when these things also occur ….

- lens distance scale is bang on its infinity mark;

- when focusing on closer up images at any distance to roughly 10 metres, the accuracy is perfect and images are sharp;

- rangefinder patch when shooting at infinity is also bang on;

- the red lines through the Visoflex 2 also start to show up when shooting a distant subject at infinity, but I’ve assumed perhaps not reading too much into focus peaking?

…… and yet when I study the image on the computer ….the subject isn’t properly sharp at infinity, and instead what is in perfect focus is about 30-50 feet away. Just like 69xchange’s image above.

Any clues?

I wonder if it has something to do with a loose lens element... I am still debating on sending mine back to get it looked at because I rarely shoot wide open at infinity and everything else is pretty spot on when wide open. The infinity focus point for landscapes only become usable when stopped down to F4 for my 75mm Summilux.