Recommendations for telephoto lens for SL3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have any recommendations for telephoto lens options for portraits and some event work with the SL3?  I know that there’s a lot of people mentioning that the 75 APO SL prime is one good option but i’m not sure i’m ready to enter the APO line of lenses yet.   If it’s the best option i would go for it.

I’ve also been looking at the rather affordable Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN.  I’ve had great experience with the Sigma L mount glass.  i currently own the 28-70 zoom and it’s a fantastic lens for its price.  Has anyone had experience with this lens?

Theres also the 85mm f1.8 by Panasonic Lumix

and of course there’s the 90mm f2 APO SL.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, petereprice said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for telephoto lens options for portraits and some event work with the SL3?  I know that there’s a lot of people mentioning that the 75 APO SL prime is one good option but i’m not sure i’m ready to enter the APO line of lenses yet.   If it’s the best option i would go for it.

I’ve also been looking at the rather affordable Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN.  I’ve had great experience with the Sigma L mount glass.  i currently own the 28-70 zoom and it’s a fantastic lens for its price.  Has anyone had experience with this lens?

I am new to SL system and too exploring the various lens option. I own a Leica 50mm F1.2 M lens and plan to use with SL3. I have a Q3. For Lens, i read that SL APO are the way to go for best IQ but its heavy. For SL APO lens, i thinking of consider 75mm or 90mm focal length outside of my Q3. Sigma Prime and Panasonic Primes L mount lens are affordable also offer good optics. 

I am also looking at Leica M Lens if i wish to get 35mm or 75mm or 90mm. 

While waiting for my SL3 to arrive in late April, I will continue to explore lens in resale mkt. 

For telephoto, i feel that SL APO 90mm is the way to go with all the reviews i read. 

Edited by charles tay
  • Like 1

While not for portrait or events, my first telephoto for the SL3 is the Leica 90-280. I photograph landscapes and nature and think this focal range is a must for my use cases. And from what I’ve read about the 90-280 I think it will be ideal for scenics and waves. I ordered it a few days ago and look forward to using it with the SL3– whenever my preorder arrives. Again , our use cases may be different but everything I’ve read about this lens indicates that it is a superb telephoto lens for the SL system. 

• Like 4

If the focal length fits you it will be a superb combination. I still wonder why Leica does not provide a 1.4 converter. Still of an extremely high quality, not quite up to the 90-280 but close are the Sigma 60-600 and 150-600. Another recommended lens is the Sigma 100-400 and its Leica counterpart. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, petereprice said:

I don't know exactly how long a focal length you're looking for, but all of the lenses you mention are excellent, as is the Panasonic 100mm Macro.  

I had the 90 APO at the same time as the 75 APO.  I kept the 75.  In fact, the 75 may be my favorite lens of the APO SL lenses I've tried (I have the 35 APO, 50 APO, 21 APO on its way and briefly had the 90 APO).  If you like the 75mm focal length I would venture to guess that there is no better 75mm lens for the SL system.  Don't hesitate to get a good preowned copy from a reputable source - it will do the same thing as a new one.  

• Like 6

21 hours ago, jaapv said:

If the focal length fits you it will be a superb combination. I still wonder why Leica does not provide a 1.4 converter. Still of an extremely high quality, not quite up to the 90-280 but close are the Sigma 60-600 and 150-600. Another recommended lens is the Sigma 100-400 and its Leica counterpart. 

Leica does provide a 1.5 converter and it's called Leica CL....

• Haha 5

On 3/24/2024 at 3:54 PM, lightsourcekauai said:

While not for portrait or events, my first telephoto for the SL3 is the Leica 90-280. I photograph landscapes and nature and think this focal range is a must for my use cases. And from what I’ve read about the 90-280 I think it will be ideal for scenics and waves. I ordered it a few days ago and look forward to using it with the SL3– whenever my preorder arrives. Again , our use cases may be different but everything I’ve read about this lens indicates that it is a superb telephoto lens for the SL system. 

The 90-280 is my favorite zoom lens ever and by a wide margin! Yes, its a bit on the large size but is truly exceptional-years ago camera manufactures could only dream of creating a zoom of this caliber...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Ever tried the 105-280 R? It is very close to the 90-280. 

What is the advantage of the R version? Cost? It seems still to cost more than $3000.-.

• Like 1

Well for me the advantage will be to keep it on my SL as short zoom with the Sigma and TC on the LUMIX S5ii.  But then I have owned it for ages. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

Ever tried the 105-280 R? It is very close to the 90-280. 

No, I am less than two years into the Leica world and so far have only used the SL system with Leica SL glass and the Q3...It does however look like a very formidable lens!

• Like 1

For me it's the APO 90. That said I also very much like the  Panasonic internal focusing L70-200.

Why not pick a lens or two and rent them before spending any money. If you rent an APO SL lens be prepared to get one.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:29 AM, jaapv said:

You mean this one?

https://leica-store.com.au/products/16056

It's just that the90-280 has a fixed rear element and can't accept a TC.

Gordon

Just looking at an image I shot with my 90 APO:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Zoomed in:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

You mean this one?

https://leica-store.com.au/products/16056

It's just that the90-280 has a fixed rear element and can't accept a TC.

Gordon

That one is an expensive version of the  TC1411 Sigma one which comes with the rebranded Sigma 100-400 The only Leica lens for which it can be used.