CF Express Card Recommendations for SL3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all - just noticed that these Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express Type B cards went on super sale.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried this card with the SL3?  Also curious is anyone has any recommendations based on their experience with the SL3?  I'm mainly using Sandisk, since those are the SD cards I had been using with all my other Leica camera bodies.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1551703-REG/sandisk_sdcfe_512g_ancnn_512gb_extreme_pro_cfexpress.html/?ap=y&smp=y&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA0bWvBhBjEiwAtEsoW9uNgmrJKeebMnyku8A4baqX8irw0auqhCn8S0Uy3F1eXanpsX9RXhoCqjUQAvD_BwE

Yes, that's a great choice.  I've used the Sandisk Extreme Pro Type B cards in my Canon R3 for years with great results, and Im using them now in my SL3.  They've been on sale consistently for the past year, which is a treat.  I know that there are other brands that are less expensive, but it's a gamble.  After having a Pro Lexar card fail on me after a professional photo shoot, I'll always stick with Sandisk's top line.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 11:31 PM, Photoworks said:

Look around that is a normal price for that size

i got the angelbird 1 tb on sale at bh  but the same card was the same not on sale on Amazon 

I never looked at the maximum card size the SL3 will take. Does your 1TB card function well on your SL3?

On 3/10/2024 at 11:31 PM, Photoworks said:

Look around that is a normal price for that size

i got the angelbird 1 tb on sale at bh  but the same card was the same not on sale on Amazon 

I never looked at the maximum card size the SL3 will take. Does your 1TB card function well on your SL3?

Posted (edited)

I got some 512GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 1700/1400 on sale at BH. 

Like MGN I have had other card failures in SD cards and it always is in the back of my head to stay away from that or those brands. At least the SL3 has 2 card slots.

Glad the Type B CF Express cards came out as before when I was using the Phase system the Type A cards were ONLY manufactured by Sony for that system and boy were they Uber-expensive.

I soured on Sony cards after I had issues with an SD Tough Card in my M10M. Never have used Tough cards again except in my Fuji GFX 100S where they worked fine.

I just decided to always buy a known quantity in Sandisk as has been put in this thread that saving a few bucks can sometimes be regretted. That said the Sony Tough cards cost more!

Edited by algrove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 minutes ago, algrove said:

No complaints, for now, Works well for photos and video.

I have been using lately with Capture One in Tether mode, so it makes a copy of the image in the camera, with no slow-down shooting, and no connection issues, unlike the SL2 or others.

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

No complaints, for now, Works well for photos and video.

I have been using lately with Capture One in Tether mode, so it makes a copy of the image in the camera, with no slow-down shooting, and no connection issues, unlike the SL2 or others.

Time will tell.

OK, I have not tethered for like 10 years.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought two pieces of ProGrade 512GB V4.0 cards from Amazon during a sale.  However, I don't think the SL3 is optimised for V4.0 fast transfer rates.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

5 hours ago, fotonutzz said:

I bought two pieces of ProGrade 512GB V4.0 cards from Amazon during a sale.  However, I don't think the SL3 is optimised for V4.0 fast transfer rates.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

what were you expecting?

everything is a balance of cost, energy, heat, and speed.

SD cards were never used at the max speed in most cameras.

9 hours ago, fotonutzz said:

I do not think any camera currently on the market supports v4.0 transfer rates. But, with an appropriate reader, you can import at v4.0 speed.

• Like 1

Per Leica technical:

At the moment, I would NOT suggest investing in a Sandisk CFExpress card for your camera as we've come across and are investigating some isolated instances where customers using these cards have had files seemingly overwritten during photo sessions. I do not currently believe it to an issue with their SD cards as well, but depending on what you're experiencing perhaps it is. So far, I've heard best results from Prograde and Angelbird CFExpress cards.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Very interesting. 

Looks like my case where camera overwrote 250 pictures. 
I used Agfaphoto CF card. I wonder who is the manufacter, Agfa is only rebrand nowadays. 

edit. but then again I could make pictures to get lost by only using SD when testing… But maybe there is multiple issues..

Edited by Mikko Kankainen

• 2 weeks later...

I have extreme pro CF 128 SanDisk for the SL3 and I haven't had any issues with the card. I use Sandisk Pro cards for the SL2 and SL2S and the SL 601, the M10M and the old M9M likes smaller 8 GB cards with slower write speeds. I have not used CF cards previous to the SL3 and it's no worries if I forget to format the card after the last shoot. I think it's amazing that they make 1 TB size in such small cards and compared to the old days when 120 film would get you 10 or 16 frames depending on which back was being used.    

Posted (edited)

1 have the Prograde 1TB card that works very well. I did not expect faster camera performance, but together with their TB/ USB4 reader import is super fast. 

Edited by la1402