SL3 is perfect but the shutter is so loud!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been having the time of my life with the SL3 since I got it last week.  However, one major gripe I have with it, is that the shutter mechanism is one of the loudest.  It's louder than the SL2 and SL2-S.  Does anyone else feel that way about the new shutter?  It's pretty loud to me.

Posted (edited)

If I buy a SL3 (more likely SL3-S) this would be one of my concerns. As tools, I need my cameras to be quiet in the places I use them, which, because of artificial lighting, often preclude use of the electronic shutter. The SL2-S is good in this respect.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I picked up my SL3 today.

I can’t say for sure that the shutter is ‘louder’ but it definitely has a different sound and feel, which is a shame because the SL2 was nearly perfect in this regard (for me).

Still, it’s a minor quibble and something I’m sure I will get used to with time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

If I buy a SL3 (more likely SL3-S) this would be one of my concerns. As tools, I need my cameras to be quiet in the places I use them, which, because of artificial lighting, often preclude use of the electronic shutter. The SL2-S is good in this respect.

One of my Sony cameras (I don’t remember if it was the a1 or a9ii - it might have been both) had the ability to avoid banding with artificial light.  It would choose a shutter speed in smaller increments close to what you were trying to use to find a frequency that didn’t show the banding in images.  Both of those cameras have stacked sensors, so it may be a requirement to implement that feature.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Dr. G said:

One of my Sony cameras (I don’t remember if it was the a1 or a9ii - it might have been both) had the ability to avoid banding with artificial light.  It would choose a shutter speed in smaller increments close to what you were trying to use to find a frequency that didn’t show the banding in images.  Both of those cameras have stacked sensors, so it may be a requirement to implement that feature.  

Yes, such tricks help (you can choose a suitable shutter speed manually), but it's not necessarily the shutter speed you want! As things are, the SL2-S sound is fine, so I don't need/use the electronic shutter..

Definitely subjective.  I just watched a street photographer YouTube vid using the SL3, and, maybe because I'm coming from Canon 1DxMk2 and other similar bodies, compared to the other sounds going on in the street, the SL3 shutter sound was much more subtle and muted than what I'm used to. I liked it.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:15 PM, petereprice said:

I have been having the time of my life with the SL3 since I got it last week.  However, one major gripe I have with it, is that the shutter mechanism is one of the loudest.  It's louder than the SL2 and SL2-S.  Does anyone else feel that way about the new shutter?  It's pretty loud to me.

Any chance you can post audio of the shutters sounds of your SL3 and SL2 and SL2-S cameras? 

I am really enjoying the SL3 and to me the shutter just sounds like a shutter...My only 'nit' so far is the new power button, I do like it in general use but prefer the power switch of my SL2-especially when stuffing in a camera bag and one of my paws accidentally turns it back on! Just like the SL2, I love the stealth look and the customization of the different controls, absolutely hate the cluttered markings of the many, many controls and dials of most cameras. I have an awful lot to learn about the SL3 and haven't even scratched the surface of what this camera along with the Leica SL lenses are capable of. What I do know however is photography is once again fun, kinda of like years ago when I got my first Canon SLR, looking for anything and everything interesting, cool, unique or beautiful to photograph!

• Like 1