second hand 35mm leica glas for m11

dav3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi friends

I am trying to figure out which 35mm leica glas would be the best to grab second hand for a m11.

Whats a popular pick? I dont feel like getting any of the new ones for 6k. Im in for the look, not the tech as i wont be micro analyzing performance!

Maybe upwards to 3k second hand

thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Those would be one of the new ones. Aspherical.

Oh ok got it. Those run for around 2500 used so i assumed they were "older" compared to the 5-6k+ lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35mm Summaron 2.8 isn't as cheap as it was a few years ago, but you can get a good one for £1200. Still a good buy. It's tiny, sharp, exquisitely built, and it can more than keep up with the M11 sensor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The M11 works fine with all generations of Leica 35mm lenses. For instance, Summilux 35/1.4 v2, Summicron 35/2 v4, Summilux 35/1.4 FLE, Summicron  35/2 asph, but also earlier lenses like Elmar 35/3.5 or Summaron 35/2.8. Each of them has a different character so trying them in person is the best way to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice thanks! Opinions on this one paired with the m11? Also is that a fair price 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summilux 35/1.4 FLE v1, i own one and it is probably the best or one of the very best performers. Only con, to me, is bokeh at about f/2.8 which is rather busy. Here at f/2.8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lct said:

Summilux 35/1.4 FLE v1, i own one and it is probably the best or one of the very best performers. Only con, to me, is bokeh at about f/2.8 which is rather busy. Here at f/2.8.

I like it!!! Which would be your top 3 35mm ranked? 

35 minutes ago, lct said:

Depends for what. Portraits, people, landscape, architecture...?

I’d say focus is people but also a bit of people and basic landscape!

5 hours ago, dav3 said:

I’d say focus is people but also a bit of people and basic landscape!

OK but this is subjective as you know. We have not the same tastes you and me since you liked the bokeh i showed above as the only con, to me, of the Summilux FLE. Among my own lenses, the most used is not the more expensive by far. It is a Voigtländer lens, the Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2. Otherwise my 3 preferred Leica M 35mm lenses are the Summicron 35/2 v4, the Summicron 35/2 asph v1 and the Summilux 35/1.4 FLE v1. Not to say that i dislike others like an old favorite of mine, the Leica Summilux 35/1.4 v2, and the superb Zeiss Biogon 35/2.8. FWIW.

Many people like the 35 Summilux for its versatility to shoot in low light.

Some people like the v1 of FLE better because the bokes is less busy in comparison to the latest 35.

Keep in mind that Summilux lenses have different looks, they are like two lenses in one, at f1.4 they have little glow ( little magic)  and from f2 on they are sharp all across.

if you like sharpness the Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f1.7 is very good and better than the new one, and also bigger

35 Summilux FLE is wonderful on any sensor. If buying used one needs to obviously check for decentering and - happened to me - if the lens has been disassembled, check with image samples that it was put back properly. My used black one was going crazy with CA, whereas a brand new silver one is as flawless as it gets.
The only downside of 35 FLE is really ugly bokeh. Everything else is as good as it gets.

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

35 Summilux FLE is wonderful on any sensor. If buying used one needs to obviously check for decentering and - happened to me - if the lens has been disassembled, check with image samples that it was put back properly. My used black one was going crazy with CA, whereas a brand new silver one is as flawless as it gets.
The only downside of 35 FLE is really ugly bokeh. Everything else is as good as it gets.

I have a summilux 35 FLE v1, the downside is its size. It’s kind of bulky.

I would prefer a steel rim reissue, but I’m still debating.

2 hours ago, Warton said:

I have a summilux 35 FLE v1, the downside is its size. It’s kind of bulky.

I would prefer a steel rim reissue, but I’m still debating.

Yes sharpness and bulkiness or softness and compactness. Any idea about a fast compact sharp 35? Nokton 35/1.5 asph?