Fabulous M-L adapter from Light Lens Lab

MindsEye

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, MindsEye said:

It's been awhile since I've had an M body but I have a recollection that my M 240 read an approximate aperture from coded lenses. Is this any different on the SL2-S?

It's the same. The camera estimates the aperture by comparing ambient illumination, as measured by a small sensor on the body, with the light coming through the lens. Your post-processing software can use that information to apply aperture-based corrections. For instance, vignetting is exaggerated at wide apertures with many older M lenses and digital sensors, so the processing engine will lighten the corners a bit (without totally eliminating natural vignetting). The estimated aperture doesn't need to be 100% correct for this to work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MindsEye said:

It's been awhile since I've had an M body but I have a recollection that my M 240 read an approximate aperture from coded lenses. Is this any different on the SL2-S? I borrowed an SL2 to shoot some lens tests but didn't have the Leica adapter so wasn't sure how/if aperture would work with an SL2/S.

M cameras don't read an aperture from the lens. IIRC the M240 has a separate light cell on the front of the camera (just below the hotshot). Comparing that with the actual recorded image allows the camera to estimate the aperture. I don't know how the SL does it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

M cameras don't read an aperture from the lens. IIRC the M240 has a separate light cell on the front of the camera (just below the hotshot). Comparing that with the actual recorded image allows the camera to estimate the aperture. I don't know how the SL does it.

On an L mount lens or an M mount lens? On an L mount the electronic connection records the aperture. On an M Mount it reads the light on the sensor and makes a guess the same and an M body I would think.

Just now, jdlaing said:

On an L mount lens or an M mount lens? On an L mount the electronic connection records the aperture. On an M Mount it reads the light on the sensor and makes a guess the same and an M body I would think.

I was writing about a M-mount lens. On the M240, the body has an idea of ambient light from the external light cell. I don't think the SL has any means of estimating ambient light other than what has already passed through the aperture. I don't know if the M10 or M11 have the same external light cell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I was writing about a M-mount lens. On the M240, the body has an idea of ambient light from the external light cell. I don't think the SL has any means of estimating ambient light other than what has already passed through the aperture. I don't know if the M10 or M11 have the same external light cell.

No light window like the M-240 on either M10 or M11. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

UPDATE: Distance accuracy test + Problem I encountered with Light Lens Lab M-L adapter

I did a distance test comparing the LLL L-M adapter with my inexpensive Fotasy L-M adapter (no helicoid.) I measured exactly 3 feet (sorry, I didn't have a metric tape measure handy) to the image plane of my S5IIx on a tripod and looked at the corresponding number at the index mark on the lenses. I'm only reporting one distance but I tried it at some other distances also. Basically, two of the lenses were right on the money with both adapters. My 21mm Ultron VM was the only one that was off by a bit. The error got slightly more pronounced with more distance. I was using high magnification plus focus peaking to assist focusing. For what it's worth, with native L-mount lenses, the S5IIx focus scale is precise at checked distances. I conclude that the adapters themselves are precise and it is the focusing scale on my 21mm lens that is a bit off. I say this because results with both adapters were identical.

Focus accuracy with adapter(s)

Light Lens Lab L-M adapter:

21mm Ultron VM: 3 feet lines up on the .5 portion of 2.5 feet mark on lens scale
40mm Nokton VM: 3 feet lines up on 3’ of lens scale
75mm Ultron VM: 3 feet lines up on 3’ of lens scale

Fotasy L-M adapter:

21mm Ultron VM: 3 feet lines up on the .5 portion of 2.5 feet mark on lens scale
40mm Nokton VM: 3 feet lines up on 3’ of lens scale
75mm Ultron VM: 3 feet lines up on 3’ of lens scale

Mounted M-lenses not centered on LLL adapter
I discovered the other day that my M-mount lenses don't line up centered with the LLL adapter. Below are some photos with a comparison to a native L mount lens (Sigma 35mm f2 DG DN) I wouldn't assume this is all Light Lens Lab adapters as the one I have is a prototype/early production.

This doesn't seem to affect the efficacy of the adapter but it's annoying. I spoke with Tony at PopFlash and he said to send it back for replacement. The only problem is they still don't have any more in stock at the moment. I can use my inexpensive Fotasy in the meantime but I have become spoiled using the helicoid frequently for close focus as many M-mount lenses have pretty limited MFD.

Photos showing M-mount lenses not being centered when fully mounted on LLL adapter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MindsEye
added information
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/13/2024 at 7:05 PM, GFW2-SCUSA said:

It is odd that some (none on this forum, I'm sure) tend to think of Chinese products are all being poor quality. It's easy to forget that the Chinese created some of the most amazing jade pieces ever made with details that would boggle the mind. ( At least mine). 

It is true that the Chinese are flooding the market with crap… at least in America. But the fault lies in the American corporations who insist on lower manufacturing prices and thus higher profits. This is the sole reason why corporations moved their manufacturing to China. Now our landfills are full of CCS (cheep Chinese Sh.t). But don’t blame the Chinese- blame corporate America.

The Chinese are quite capable of producing high quality goods. I owned a wonderful Choey Lee sailboat and it was better than anything built in America or Europe.

It is probably too late to return to a time when we treasured craftsmanship or took pride in doing our best work. Quality is expensive but not in the long term. This is why we buy Leica cameras and lenses. They are hand made by craftsman who take pride in their work. I had my Leica M4 for 45 years before trading it for a M9. And that M4 is still clicking away some 15 years later. That’s quality. The current Leicas are just as good and that’s why we pay the price. 

• Like 1

The Choey Lee were beautiful boats. I wanted one, but never bought one. I don't place all the blame for shoddy products on the corporate side, we consumers demand cheaper prices. What is sad is the loss of pride in workmanship in so many products from many countries. It is even reflected in our restaurants where gross size outweighs good taste and in higher end places the emphasis seems to be on swirling the plate with sauce designs and a tiny portion of food. Perhaps the pendulum will swing back and quality will return. Who knows, people might even start to dance together rather than bounce around oblivious to the other person... but that is another issue altogether. 

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 2:19 PM, BernardC said:

It extends the focusing range. You would leave it at the locked position to use the normal range on the lens (infinity to 1m or 70cm, for most M lenses), and extend it for closer focus. I have a different helicoid adapter, and it extends close focus on a 50 from 70cm to approximately 45cm.

Is that really very useful? Leica M lenses are not designed for optimal image quality below 1 m.

Hey can somebody post a link where you can buy the adapter in Europe? 
that would be very helpful. 
I can’t find it on any page that the thread is referring to. 

It extends the focusing range. You would leave it at the locked position to use the normal range on the lens (infinity to 1m or 70cm, for most M lenses), and extend it for closer focus. I have a different helicoid adapter, and it extends close focus on a 50 from 70cm to approximately 45cm.

Is that really very useful? Leica M lenses are not designed for optimal image quality below 1 m.

I think that for what I would use this it’s not much of an importance that the lens is corrected perfectly! 

to me it’s more about that I get the neat focus sharp and the out of focus parts nice blurry. 

Cheers 

15 hours ago, jaapv said:

I think that for what I would use this it’s not much of an importance that the lens is corrected perfectly! 

to me it’s more about that I get the neat focus sharp and the out of focus parts nice blurry. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jaapv said:

It bridges the gap between M-lens minimal focus distance (0.7m for most modern lenses) and the traditional SLR MFD (0.45m for most 50mm lenses).

In other words, your 50mm Summicron-M will focus as close as a Summicron-R. They are basically the same lens anyway, so you aren't stretching the optical design.

I agree that some lenses will be disappointing with the extra extension, especially wider and more complex lenses. I don't use the adapter as a macro substitute, it's just helpful if you need to crop something a bit tighter.

35 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Understand. I use other cameras than an M for that and Macro lenses. 

Yes, if you can choose. 

But what if you have a nice portrait lens that you like on the SL > Something that isn't to clinical sharp, because the model is sharp enough. 

but then you need to get closer. 

With this adapter you can just do that. And that's what it is designed for. To open the door for lenses that you need to change otherwise. 

I love my 90 mm Elmarit 1:2.8 > but it starts at 1 m. 

And I love how it renders if I go closer than 1 m. 

And I am happy if I don't have to change the lens. Like with the Q3. I love that it's 3 lenses. (or more) But without changing the lens. 

Yes it's nice to have dedicated lenses for everything. But to be honest, when I work with people I have so much going on that I am very happy 

If I don't have to change lenses. 2 Bodies and different character of lenses. 

And if my brain still works at the end of the shoot, I experiment with changing lenses. 

But most of the time I am done. And glad if I have the ability to get close without that lens change. 

But maybe this is just my incompetence. 

• Like 3

@Pelu2010, I don't know the European distributor but when I emailed LLL ( lightlenslabna@gmail.com ) they were responsive. Perhaps they can assist you.

I verified with Tony at PopFlash that ALL of the Light Lens Lab L-M adapters have the misalignment issue I posted here. So I need to send mine back until replacements are available. Allegedly that will be the end of this month.

Hope you are able to get one- from the new batch.

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone! 

It is my first time posting on Leica User Forum due to popular demands from Leica Users. I hope I am not breaking any roles. 

M-L Adapter with Close Focus Helicoid is now posted on the website! https://lightlenslab.ca/blogs/upcoming-project/light-lens-lab-m-l-mount-adapter-with-close-focus-helicoid-now-available

Cheers! Please let me know if you have any question! 

David

• Thanks 3

On 2/13/2024 at 9:05 PM, GFW2-SCUSA said:

Your second group of pictures didn't show up for me.

Sorry about that. I'll try again. It's just showing the helicoid extended all the way versus not extended (locked where it will work out to infinity)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 5:43 PM, rmcnelly said:

These pics don't show up for me as well.

I just re-uploaded them, the post right before this one. Sorry they weren't working before. Not sure how that happened.

Joel

• Like 1