Choosing Monitor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/19/2023 at 10:04 AM, Jeff S said:

I remember your mentioning this. I use a single monitor, so I think I’ll learn to adjust over time by looking at prints, which are my consistent output. In general, I’d rather deal with under than over- sharpening, which grates on me.  I’ll discuss with my friend to see if he has similar issue.

Jeff

Any feedback from your colleague Jeff? I've also read a bit about differences in determining sharpening for print between 2.5K and 4K. Some claim 2.5 K is much more accurate in this regard, while others say 4-5K monitors are just fine and that one learns to adapt. 

4 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Any feedback from your colleague Jeff? I've also read a bit about differences in determining sharpening for print between 2.5K and 4K. Some claim 2.5 K is much more accurate in this regard, while others say 4-5K monitors are just fine and that one learns to adapt. 

As mentioned, he loves his setup, and being both technically savvy and a fine photographer/printer, has adapted to his needs. He also encouraged me to go the 4K route, so I trust his judgment on these matters.  He’s going to help get everything installed mid-December.  My guess is that I, too, will learn to adapt my workflow as I make more and more prints. That’s the way I learned using my old NEC monitor years ago.  But I’ll ask him more once he’s here to help; don’t want to interrupt his busy work and family needs in the meantime.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 12:23 AM, Jeff S said:

I just bought the EIZO CG2700X 4K monitor (replacing my 14 year old NEC) to pair with a new Mac Studio M2 Ultra (replacing my 14 year old Mac tower). This should serve me well for the rest of my photo life.

Jeff

Happy new year!

I'm curious on how you decided on the Ultra vs Max Studio. Could you share?

I figure it’s because you will hold onto it very long-term and want the best that’ll stay relevant and powerful for many years to come (and not be something you think about going forward) vs. technical abilities specific to photography that the Ultra offers over the Max.

2 hours ago, Photojournoguy said:

I'm curious on how you decided on the Ultra vs Max Studio. Could you share?

Jeff, since the Ultra Studio approaches the price of the new MacPro, could you share your thoughts on all three of them?  And how much RAM?  (This is sent using my Max Studio.)

As long as I am typing, I had some issues reliably attaching my Eizo CX271 monitor - Thunderbolt 4 on the computer to DisplayPort on the monitor.  The connection is very sensitive to the quality of the cable; no adapters allowed.  I now use an active SonnetTech Thunderbolt 4 device that uses a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

To answer both of your questions, I relied heavily on the friend I mentioned. I met him over 30 years ago at a large format view camera workshop, and he is the guy I rely on for computer hardware and related issues.  I consider myself a decent photographer and printer, but he couples that with a deep understanding of computer hardware, software and related issues, far more than I ever care to know.  He’s now CEO of a successful tech company and, when he has time, assists me in both purchase decisions and system installation.  He set up my Mac Pro, NEC screen, back-up system, etc  in 2009 when I transitioned from darkroom to ‘lightroom’, and he subsequently upgraded the Mac innards over the years.  He knows my photography workflow and technical requirements very well.  It became clear in the last year or so that I needed replacement gear that would hopefully serve me well over my remaining active photo years (now at age 73). 

He personally uses 2 screens, one of which is the same as the Eizo I bought, but without hardware calibration, along with the first version M1 Ultra Studio, and has had an excellent experience. We of course discussed my options (and price points) and I landed on the Mac Studio M2 Ultra with 24/60 core, 64 GB and 4TB SSD.  All I can say is that it’s blazing fast.  While it took roughly 5 hours to download my files from the old Mac Pro, it took exactly 5 minutes to import everything to the Mac Studio!  Amazing in this tiny package.

There were no problems or stumbling blocks with the installation.  But he’s not your average tech guy.  (On the same visit he somehow got my ancient email service to work properly on my iPhone after a few minutes, while both the Apple ‘Genius’ team as well as the support reps from the email provider failed to do so after an hour each.)

I think there is already an M3 Mac Studio available, but I can’t imagine needing anything faster or better than this setup.  The new screen is also gorgeous.  Unfortunately I’ve spent most of my time on family matters rather than photography since getting everything set up.  And since we installed a new copier/scanner and also upgraded my laptop, I’m sure there will be a learning curve with all of this, not to mention getting up to speed on the latest Adobe features that were restricted using my Mac Pro and older O/S.  Any obstacles going forward likely will be due to my own shortcomings, not the equipment… as always… but I know who to call for tech assistance.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On using an Apple Vision Pro as a monitor.

i wanted a large monitor that was portable. So far the Vision Pro allows me to have a 108” monitor floating wherever I am sitting. PS and LR run on my 16” MacBook Pro which seamlessly and wirelessly connects to the Vision Pro. I find such a large monitor extremely helpful.  The screenshot shows the monitor larger than a sofa. One extra plus is there are no room reflections on the monitor and I can dial out the room view to black if I wish.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When you take screenshots with the Vision Pro, the screenshot resolution is 844x619.  Perhaps that will increase with future software upgrades.

What you see live is 4K. Nothing blurry. And no dust or reflections on your virtual monitor. Easier to move than a 32” actual monitor. 

• 4 weeks later...